Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????

Old May 12, 2020, 11:02 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch

So having the lounge attendant always there to dish out the food would require doubling up the staff in such situations. Does that sounds practical for the hotel?
Yes, it does actually. What does that extra five hours add to the hotels payroll, $75?
Old May 12, 2020, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I'm going to make it a goal to use that phrase in a conversation today just to see people visibly wince.

(not making fun of you, just thought those words would be hilarious out of context...)
I guess I should have expected to be called out on that one! It really is a fabulous brunch buffet they do, with ice sculptures, an oyster shucking station, stone crab claw and king crab legs, a sushi chef, along with the usual roast beef/lamb...just fabulous. But I suspect much gets thrown out or, more hopefully donated, at the end.

Incidentally, in your town I have also enjoyed a memorable buffet at a certain yacht club. 'on the marina' with one of the world's best dining room views.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
That's why his handle is London ELITE
It's much less exciting than you think. When I joined FT many years ago, I (1) lived in London, and (2) was an Elite member in AC's Aeroplan program (which isn't very elite). Nothing grander than that.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Yes, it does actually. What does that extra five hours add to the hotels payroll, $75?
That's a $100 when you count the other costs associated with having an employee. Over the course of a year, that's 36K if the buffet is open daily, 25K if it's only weekdays. In CA, with a minimum wage of $15 in the urban areas, I would assume the salary is $20/hr, that's $30/hr or $150 for five hour shift. That's 54K annually if the Lounge is open daily and 37.5K if the lounge is a weekday only lounge. Of course, these are very rough numbers.

That doesn't even include the logistics. In smaller hotels with smaller loungers the self serve buffet abuts the wall. There often isn't enough space to bring it forward so someone can stand behind. And of course, I doubt if one person if sufficient to serve the entire buffet. Just some thoughts.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:19 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by clarkef
That's a $100 when you count the other costs associated with having an employee. Over the course of a year, that's 36K if the buffet is open daily, 25K if it's only weekdays. In CA, with a minimum wage of $15 in the urban areas, I would assume the salary is $20/hr, that's $30/hr or $150 for five hour shift. That's 54K annually if the Lounge is open daily and 37.5K if the lounge is a weekday only lounge. Of course, these are very rough numbers.

That doesn't even include the logistics. In smaller hotels with smaller loungers the self serve buffet abuts the wall. There often isn't enough space to bring it forward so someone can stand behind. And of course, I doubt if one person if sufficient to serve the entire buffet. Just some thoughts.
Consider though the logistics and cost involved of providing pre-packaged buffet food. An employee would have to spend time assembling the packages (main courses, cheese&crackers, veggies, dips, desserts etc.) The cost of the containers, disposable utensils, condiments, carry-out bags. I would imagine it would be scaled down and resemble the brown paper take-out bags you see for breakfast at Hampton Inns. If that were the case, I would just skip it and head elsewhere. One things for certain, traveling will look much different than what we all are accustomed to and not in a good way. This all really sucks!
Old May 14, 2020, 2:26 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
A fun twitter post about buffets and how risky they are

Old May 14, 2020, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
This all really sucks!
Something we can all agree on!!!!!!
Old May 15, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
A fun twitter post about buffets and how risky they are

https://twitter.com/Johnny_suputama/...86799851376641
This is utterly silly - one can do the same before entering the restaurant or using any public transport or facility or gym and see it spread. Think of kids at school - they would all be glowing within minutes...

Exercising caution during outbreaks is sensible, living in a bubble is not - we manage germs all the time and mostly develop immunity otherwise we d be all wiped out by now...
Old May 15, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by azepine00
we manage germs all the time and mostly develop immunity otherwise we d be all wiped out by now...
Mostly. Only a hundred years ago 50,000,000 souls caught a novel flu and died. Philadelphia gambled and lost, while San Francisco and St Louis were more conservative and had much lower morbidity and mortality. Place your bets.
360guy, sdsearch and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Tanic
Place your bets.
As we all do on a daily basis.

Wonder if we can find those superspreaders!

David
Old May 15, 2020, 5:28 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Tanic
Mostly. Only a hundred years ago 50,000,000 souls caught a novel flu and died. Philadelphia gambled and lost, while San Francisco and St Louis were more conservative and had much lower morbidity and mortality. Place your bets.
Sadly what I bet personally can't compete with the large bets local or county or state or national bet being made by some who are politicizing things like masks, opening of restaurants, beaches or what not.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by DELee
As we all do on a daily basis.

Wonder if we can find those superspreaders!

David
We can round them up with pitchforks and flaming torches and herd them off cliffs. Selfish, ignorant, superspreaders :-(.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Chow down at the buffet?

You've been Bonvyed!

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 30, 2020 at 7:51 am
Old May 15, 2020, 7:49 pm
soy

Programs: various
Short of a vaccine, the only way out of this is an exponential increase in testing along with contact trace. That way you can limit the lockdown to those that have the virus or are high risk due to contact, and let the rest of the economy to get back to something closer normal.
Probably means testing everybody 1-2 times a month, which is off the charts compared to what is currently happening. Would also mean consent for the contact trace which some will object to. Then again some assert its all a hoax, which suggests plenty of future candidates for the Darwin Awards
Old May 15, 2020, 7:55 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by clarkef

back on topic. I tend to agree. I have seen some FS Marriotts crack down on the refills of the off-hours snack mix, probably saving $10 per day tops. No way a property with this attitude is going to add extra headcount to the lounge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.