Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Feel free to add to this wiki
June 2023 Item of Potential Interest: Link to thread alleging rape of solo female Chinese tourist at the property.
Main details
(Dec 2022) The RC Maldives has its entire "Sales Kit" online, incl. pricing for
activities, spa, weddings; and maps/pictures/video/logos/floor plans: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ad23r_g_CovQo_

Some useful maps at these posts:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33274629-post89.html - also lists types of villas available
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33275048-post95.html - map with villa #'s

cmhsieh54's 8-page trip report (Dec 2022), in post #1204

Food & Beverage service
*There is no free breakfast amenity at this property for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador.*
(Dec 2022) There is also no 'elite hour' (i.e. Happy Hour) or daily 'afternoon tea'.

(Dec 2022) The extremely comprehensive RC Maldives F&B guest webapp is here at this link, incl. all rest. menus
and room service prices:

https://mi.vserve-protecht.com/welco...JCZmpFZz0/1001
Unfortunately a scary-looking link, but it's legit. See post #1167.

Email address [email protected]

Transfer Prices
Shared Speedboat (45mins) - $901 per adult, $339 per child 3-11, 2 and under free
Private 48' Speedboat - $2800 per person
Yacht transfer no longer offered as a paid option as of February 2022, but there are reports of the
hotel offering it at their discretion

Shared Seaplane (10 mins) - $1,400 per adult, $700 per child 3-11, 2 and under free
Private Seaplane - $9.500

This cost applies to all guests, regardless of cash booking vs. points booking.
All prices are roundtrip, before 23.2% tax. See this website for latest updated
transfer prices: https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...iew/directions

Miscellaneous
Island time: The resort has the clock set one hour ahead of Malé, so the time is GMT +6 hours. Many resorts in the Maldives do this for sunset viewing purposes.

Print Wikipost

The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
I'm sure the property will be gorgeous architecturally and have excellent service but that's about as far as the positives go for this place. As someone who's visited the Maldives 4 times in the last 5 years I can with confidence say that North Male atoll is probably the least attractive of the Maldivian atolls. I get that proximity to Male makes for convenient transfers but all the properties charge exorbitant prices for the transfers anyway. A 50 minute seaplane ride or a 50 minute speed boat ride, its a wash in both cost & time. You are paying $300 minimum per person (even the Sheraton 10 minutes from the airport charges a few hundred).

Don't expect any spectacular reefs for snorkeling, or a live reef for that mater in North Male Atoll. I dove the seawall around the Waldorf Astoria while it was under construction 2 years ago and there was so much cement residue in the water that the entire area turned to "milk". The entire wall was covered in thick goops of it and it killed all the life. The bridge construction from Male to the airport likewise killed a lot of the life in the area. Add the extra warm ocean these last few years and all you will find is dead reef. There are a few good spots still left to scuba dive but you gotta go into the atoll channels with strong currents. There is also a ton of aircraft and boat traffic in North Male Atoll vs. the other Atolls.

If costs are the same, going to an atoll other than North Male is a no-brainer. I'd also avoid any property that does not reward my elite status with a free breakfast. I'm sure the place will get great traffic for a year or two, and then turn into just another North Male Atoll resort catering to mainland china tour groups.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I'm sure the property will be gorgeous architecturally and have excellent service but that's about as far as the positives go for this place. As someone who's visited the Maldives 4 times in the last 5 years I can with confidence say that North Male atoll is probably the least attractive of the Maldivian atolls. I get that proximity to Male makes for convenient transfers but all the properties charge exorbitant prices for the transfers anyway. A 50 minute seaplane ride or a 50 minute speed boat ride, its a wash in both cost & time. You are paying $300 minimum per person (even the Sheraton 10 minutes from the airport charges a few hundred).

Don't expect any spectacular reefs for snorkeling, or a live reef for that mater in North Male Atoll. I dove the seawall around the Waldorf Astoria while it was under construction 2 years ago and there was so much cement residue in the water that the entire area turned to "milk". The entire wall was covered in thick goops of it and it killed all the life. The bridge construction from Male to the airport likewise killed a lot of the life in the area. Add the extra warm ocean these last few years and all you will find is dead reef. There are a few good spots still left to scuba dive but you gotta go into the atoll channels with strong currents. There is also a ton of aircraft and boat traffic in North Male Atoll vs. the other Atolls.

If costs are the same, going to an atoll other than North Male is a no-brainer. I'd also avoid any property that does not reward my elite status with a free breakfast. I'm sure the place will get great traffic for a year or two, and then turn into just another North Male Atoll resort catering to mainland china tour groups.
Agreed on the free breakfast and understand the point about the reef. Will it be even worse than the reef at the STR then? Do you see / hear a lot of planes in this area?

Last edited by Dn10; May 16, 2020 at 9:34 am
Old May 16, 2020, 4:07 pm

Based on a comment on OMAAT (which I think posted an article based on this thread today) it looks like the resort will be here. Any idea which island is the Ritz? Edit: looks like the one to the right of the Capella

Last edited by Dn10; May 16, 2020 at 4:22 pm
Old May 16, 2020, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
The Ritz looks out of this world. I would love to try it. Pretty sure it will command 100K points per night!
If they classify as Cat 8 (same as STR, W or JW), you would probably get 5 nights for 340k to 400k.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
If they classify as Cat 8 (same as STR, W or JW), you would probably get 5 nights for 340k to 400k.
maybe not for an OWV though
Old May 16, 2020, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
maybe not for an OWV though
Yeah would be for basic beach room/villa. Would most likely have to pay $$$ to upgrade to higher category.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Yeah would be for basic beach room/villa. Would most likely have to pay $$$ to upgrade to higher category.

We did the whole OWV thing at St Regis and frankly I wish we had a private beach instead. So beach villa is perfectly fine with us
Old May 16, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
We did the whole OWV thing at St Regis and frankly I wish we had a private beach instead. So beach villa is perfectly fine with us
Interesting. We visited Conrad Maldives couple times few years back and only stayed in Beach Villa which was also perfect for us. Never been to a Marriott property in Maldives, plan to visit in Dec for 5 nights although we haven't yet decided on which property.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Interesting. We visited Conrad Maldives couple times few years back and only stayed in Beach Villa which was also perfect for us. Never been to a Marriott property in Maldives, plan to visit in Dec for 5 nights although we haven't yet decided on which property.
I did enjoy the OWV experience (they upgraded us to a St Regis OW Suite). It’s just we are beach people. I don’t snorkel much and I’m afraid of all the algae around the posts of our OWV. Also our floatie which I put on the deck floated away one night when the water rose up... ahhh memories.

And that I dropped my iPhone X to the bottom of the ocean. Thankfully it was shallow so hubby dove in to grab it. Damage was done and it had to be repaired (thank god for Apple care plus!)

and that our OWV neighbour said he saw a sea snake around ...

So yeah. Gotta admit we will take a beach villa next time.
mileageking likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Originally Posted by Dn10
Agreed on the free breakfast and understand the point about the reef. Will it be even worse than the reef at the STR then? Do you see / hear a lot of planes in this area?
Dn10,

I don't know for sure. There is a chance that the entire island chain the Ritz Carlton is being built on has been dredged up. There is a ton of that going on in North Male atoll. Either way, if the island has been dredged up there wont be a reef that's accessible (safe snorkeling distance with no currents). If the islands already existed it all depends on how badly the mauled the reef during construction. You should expect a St. Regis style reef at best. There will be lots of fish life, but the corals will be pretty dead with new ones possibly starting to grow on top. None of the shallow water reefs near islands (where they are not in a strong current or channel) have done particularly well with prolonged unusually warm water causing mass bleaching for 2-3 years? I think the bleaching started back in 2015.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:49 pm

So is this a brand new property development or a reflagging (likely with a renovation) of an existing property?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
So is this a brand new property development or a reflagging (likely with a renovation) of an existing property?
New build on man-made island, iirc.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Seems like it got classified as a Cat 8 (Obviously). some pictures were also added to their website

https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...s-fari-islands
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:47 am

Looks like reservations have been opened for may 2021.

local fee is $900/person. Any one have an idea why it is so expensive? Other Marriott resorts are much further away and cheaper to get to.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TrevorTravels
Looks like reservations have been opened for may 2021.

local fee is $900/person. Any one have an idea why it is so expensive? Other Marriott resorts are much further away and cheaper to get to.
Probably because they can get away with it to be honest.

That said, given it is so close to the airport, will probably get further delayed, will struggle a little at launch, and is launching in the off season, I'll probably see how things go for a few months before making any plans. And the STR giving free breakfast for elites is a nice benefit vs the Ritz (but small in the total Maldives cost).

EDIT: Breakfast costs actually look pretty reasonable here if you get it as part of your package.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.