Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Feel free to add to this wiki
June 2023 Item of Potential Interest: Link to thread alleging rape of solo female Chinese tourist at the property.
Main details
(Dec 2022) The RC Maldives has its entire "Sales Kit" online, incl. pricing for
activities, spa, weddings; and maps/pictures/video/logos/floor plans: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ad23r_g_CovQo_

Some useful maps at these posts:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33274629-post89.html - also lists types of villas available
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33275048-post95.html - map with villa #'s

cmhsieh54's 8-page trip report (Dec 2022), in post #1204

Food & Beverage service
*There is no free breakfast amenity at this property for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador.*
(Dec 2022) There is also no 'elite hour' (i.e. Happy Hour) or daily 'afternoon tea'.

(Dec 2022) The extremely comprehensive RC Maldives F&B guest webapp is here at this link, incl. all rest. menus
and room service prices:

https://mi.vserve-protecht.com/welco...JCZmpFZz0/1001
Unfortunately a scary-looking link, but it's legit. See post #1167.

Email address [email protected]

Transfer Prices
Shared Speedboat (45mins) - $901 per adult, $339 per child 3-11, 2 and under free
Private 48' Speedboat - $2800 per person
Yacht transfer no longer offered as a paid option as of February 2022, but there are reports of the
hotel offering it at their discretion

Shared Seaplane (10 mins) - $1,400 per adult, $700 per child 3-11, 2 and under free
Private Seaplane - $9.500

This cost applies to all guests, regardless of cash booking vs. points booking.
All prices are roundtrip, before 23.2% tax. See this website for latest updated
transfer prices: https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...iew/directions

Miscellaneous
Island time: The resort has the clock set one hour ahead of Malé, so the time is GMT +6 hours. Many resorts in the Maldives do this for sunset viewing purposes.

Print Wikipost

The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by hakmissile
Hi I had a question as I have an upcoming trip in 3 weeks!

I am trying to pay for the sea-transfer costs and I was wondering if this purchase codes as Marriott purchase? Ie) 6x multiplier on AMEX Bonvoy credit card.
Also, is it a good idea to bring my own snorkels to the resort? I heard the marine life isn’t that great since the property is new but, still don’t want to miss out on the experience.

Thank you
Our purchase of the sea transfer coded as a Marriott purchase. We used our AMEX Bonvoy card.
It's your call about snorkels - if you have room in your bag and have a snorkel you like, then bring it. Otherwise your Aris Meha can get you mask/snorkel/fins from the dive shop. We brought our own but I dive and my wife has her own.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jcave114
what time is the daily elite hour and what does it consist of? And this is on top of the daily high tea?
I believe its from 5-5:45. The selection was a well drink and a couple selection of wines. Nothing memorable, but a nice offering in addition to the afternoon tea. It was offered everyday except the GM's happy hour, which we took full advantage of lol

Originally Posted by raylee123
We have a 7 night reservation at the St. Regis for the last week of June. After hearing about a potential / likely partial to full closure of the resort for renovations during our trip dates, I've been reading up on the RC thread. It seems like the RC is a pretty nice backup option, even without much elite recognition.

From posts, reviews and comparisons of the two resort, I guess these are the main pros and cons between the two:

To give additional context, we had secured the St. Regis suite on points, plus a very nominal cash upgrade price of $75 per night.

Pros of St Regis:
1). Larger space - StR Suite is almost 2x the size of RC's regular OWV.
2) More vibrant reefs, wildlife and much better snorkeling
3) Free breakfast for Platinum and above (Titanium status).
4) usually better upgrade potential, but as we already booked the StR Suite, not sure there is much realistic upgrade path left.

Pros of RC:
1). More varied dining options in the resort and neighboring island
2) Free a) mini / honour bar and snacks (excluding alcoholic drinks) b) free afternoon tea c) free still / sparkling water throughout resort d) free happy / drink hour for elites?
3) newer rooms so less wear and tear
4) more free resort activities
5) more flexible transfer options, as the boat isn't daylight / weather dependent like the seaplane. This allows for less time waiting in Male on arrival and a later resort departure (we have a 9pm flight on QR returning home)
6) better beach (less erosion) villas, but I think we prefer to stay overwater, as we aren't coming with our kids.

As to service, it seems to be mixed opinions as to which is more attentive and personable.

I used to be an avid diver and still enjoy snorkeling, but my wife just wants a week away from the kids to do nothing but relax, eat well and stare at endless clear blue waters. So the new construction, resulting in little marine life and not much of a local reef, probably isn't a big deal to us.

It seems from a cost savings perspective, the two resorts might be a wash in terms of "freebies", as the free breakfast from StR probably is countered by the other fee amenities that RC provides.

It also seems the best unobstructed views of the ocean differs between the two resorts. At the StR, it is usually the sunset side with unobstructed views of the ocean. While at the RC, it is usually the sunrise side with unobstructed views of the ocean. I think most folks, including us, would prefer a sunset unobstructed views, but not sure there are too many options at the RC for that.

I think I would prefer the extra space from the St Regis Suite. But I will cancel my reservations there if I don't get clarity on their renovations / closure situation within the next week or so. I want enough time to rebook our reservations to the RC before the dynamic award pricing / devaluation at the end of the month. I would hate to be scrambling for reservations at a new resort a month or two before departure time (our flights are pretty much set in stone, as I was able to get some rare availability on Singapore Suites and QR F and QSuites.)

Is there anything I might be missing in my analysis?
A couple comments based on my recent stay. If you're on the southern island villas (not the villas on the oval), the ocean/sunrise side has a pretty decently sized reef with lots of marine life. We snorkeled there a few times and it was definitely great. I think most people that have stayed at the RC were on the northern villas on the oval and there's definitely zero marine life there. The only con is the water on the sunrise side had pretty rough waters, but it was pretty shallow.

Regarding unobstructed views, if you opt for the sunset villas, it's 50/50 in terms of whether you'll get actual unobstructed views as about half the sunset villas are on the oval. If you're on the oval, you're basically screwed in unobstructed views with the other island and the boats buzzing by, but if you're on the southern islands, you'll have unobstructed views. If you want guaranteed unobstructed views, go with the sunrise side.

Originally Posted by friedablass
Thanks for your post. Wondering if you can answer the following 2 questions.

On which side do you get an unobstructed view or does that not exist on any side?

Is the free drinks hour for elites daily or just once a week?
Sunrise definitely has unobstructed views for almost all villas. Sunset villas are about 50% obstructed views, try to get the southern villas if you can. Free drinks hour was every day except on the GM's happy hour. So you'll get a happy hour every day basically.
friedablass and noeatbutgo like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

The elite happy hour - is it for Platinum/Titanium and above only or Gold allowed in?

What are all the included free resort activities?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by kumarshah
The elite happy hour - is it for Platinum/Titanium and above only or Gold allowed in?

What are all the included free resort activities?
I want to say it was for Plat/Titanium, but could be wrong.... Not sure cause I'm Titanium

Here's what the free resort activities per their email before I arrived:
  • Welcome in-villa amenity
  • Daily Afternoon tea at La Locanda as from 16:00 – 17:00
  • Daily turndown service and amenity
  • Pressing Service at our courtesy on day of arrival, up to 8 pieces per villa
  • WIFI high-speed internet access in-villa and all public areas
  • 24 hours Aris Meeha, your island butler for personalized experiences
  • At our courtesy, non-alcoholic beverages and sweet & savory snacks in the honour-bar
  • At our courtesy shared boat within Fari Islands archipelago, as per schedule
  • Access to daily Resort activities, as per schedule
  • Access to fitness center, sauna & steam bath at our recreation area
  • Access to the Ritz Kids area and daily activities calendar (activities outside the daily schedule a charge applies)
  • Access to Tennis court (Tennis Pro available for coaching at a fee)
  • Non-motorised watersports activities: Stand Up Paddleboard / Kayak / Windsurfing / Catamaran
  • Ice cream at Island Creamery from 15:00-17:00 at our courtesy for the kids
noeatbutgo and iluvdoco like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by justlaz
I want to say it was for Plat/Titanium, but could be wrong.... Not sure cause I'm Titanium

Here's what the free resort activities per their email before I arrived:
  • Welcome in-villa amenity
  • Daily Afternoon tea at La Locanda as from 16:00 – 17:00
  • Daily turndown service and amenity
  • Pressing Service at our courtesy on day of arrival, up to 8 pieces per villa
  • WIFI high-speed internet access in-villa and all public areas
  • 24 hours Aris Meeha, your island butler for personalized experiences
  • At our courtesy, non-alcoholic beverages and sweet & savory snacks in the honour-bar
  • At our courtesy shared boat within Fari Islands archipelago, as per schedule
  • Access to daily Resort activities, as per schedule
  • Access to fitness center, sauna & steam bath at our recreation area
  • Access to the Ritz Kids area and daily activities calendar (activities outside the daily schedule a charge applies)
  • Access to Tennis court (Tennis Pro available for coaching at a fee)
  • Non-motorised watersports activities: Stand Up Paddleboard / Kayak / Windsurfing / Catamaran
Great, thanks for the info.

Would love to know if anyone else went there as Platinum or Gold and were able to attend the happy hour.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:05 pm

Anyone know the boat schedule to the Marina Village?

Mahalo
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty

Mahalo
Every 30 minutes on the hour and thirty minutes past from Ritz. 15 and 45 from Fari Marina. Slows a bit down on the late evening. Last boat back at 23:30
LiquidHonesty likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:19 pm

I have both the RC and the WA booked. Any recent thoughts on which one I should visit? Visiting both is a possibility, but I'm leaning towards the RC. The WA has the advantages of bigger villas and more glam, but I like the RC's expanded F&B options and on-site water purification facility.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by justlaz
No ice cream for me?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have both the RC and the WA booked. Any recent thoughts on which one I should visit? Visiting both is a possibility, but I'm leaning towards the RC. The WA has the advantages of bigger villas and more glam, but I like the RC's expanded F&B options and on-site water purification facility.
Based on my stays, my ranking has the RC over the WA. And both of them over the St R. So I'd say go with the RC. The F&B variety is one very strong side of the RC
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:32 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Wondering if anyone here has done the half-board or full-board packages and how was it?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager

how would you transfer from one hotel to the other? I'm exploring doing both hotels too, but logistics and the cost is the hindrance
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by lsed
how would you transfer from one hotel to the other? I'm exploring doing both hotels too, but logistics and the cost is the hindrance
I should have clarified that I booked both resorts on separate stays, months apart. I have my flights lined up, but not sure I want to make the journey to the Maldives twice in one year.
lsed likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Based on my stays, my ranking has the RC over the WA. And both of them over the St R. So I'd say go with the RC. The F&B variety is one very strong side of the RC
I have not stayed at the WA, but the property of the RC was simply jaw dropping. Even ~3 weeks after our trip, I still think about our trip there. The F&B variety definitely lived up to the hype and overall very high quality and authentic considering the diversity of food options, which to me was its biggest selling point. The free water is also a major game changer that is often overlooked. Again, the service side, specifically the butler, has much to be desired, but you're not really interacting with them all that much anyways. I highly recommend the RC regardless

Originally Posted by lsed
It is possible, but it's a major PIA. I believe you have to first take a PCR test 24 hours before departure of hotel A, then travel back to Male, then take your seaplane or boat to hotel B. Additionally, you have to pay for all those transfers, which will add up pretty quickly.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty

Mahalo
When we went about 3-4 weeks ago, everything was closed, including the restaurants. There wasn't much there except for Patina resort, but we didn't bother to explore there heavily as we already thought the RC was far nicer. We were extremely disappointed and frustrated as we were really looking forward to trying some of the options. I was annoyed that when we asked our butler the boat schedule, he failed to mention that most dining options there were closed. We immediately took the next boat back. Although, on our last day, they did say that Arabesque was reopening back on Marina Village, which is definitely worth a visit and was the best restaurant option when we tried their food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.