Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Feel free to add to this wiki
June 2023 Item of Potential Interest: Link to thread alleging rape of solo female Chinese tourist at the property.
Main details
(Dec 2022) The RC Maldives has its entire "Sales Kit" online, incl. pricing for
activities, spa, weddings; and maps/pictures/video/logos/floor plans: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ad23r_g_CovQo_

Some useful maps at these posts:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33274629-post89.html - also lists types of villas available
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33275048-post95.html - map with villa #'s

cmhsieh54's 8-page trip report (Dec 2022), in post #1204

Food & Beverage service
*There is no free breakfast amenity at this property for Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador.*
(Dec 2022) There is also no 'elite hour' (i.e. Happy Hour) or daily 'afternoon tea'.

(Dec 2022) The extremely comprehensive RC Maldives F&B guest webapp is here at this link, incl. all rest. menus
and room service prices:

https://mi.vserve-protecht.com/welco...JCZmpFZz0/1001
Unfortunately a scary-looking link, but it's legit. See post #1167.

Email address [email protected]

Transfer Prices
Shared Speedboat (45mins) - $901 per adult, $339 per child 3-11, 2 and under free
Private 48' Speedboat - $2800 per person
Yacht transfer no longer offered as a paid option as of February 2022, but there are reports of the
hotel offering it at their discretion

Shared Seaplane (10 mins) - $1,400 per adult, $700 per child 3-11, 2 and under free
Private Seaplane - $9.500

This cost applies to all guests, regardless of cash booking vs. points booking.
All prices are roundtrip, before 23.2% tax. See this website for latest updated
transfer prices: https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...iew/directions

Miscellaneous
Island time: The resort has the clock set one hour ahead of Malé, so the time is GMT +6 hours. Many resorts in the Maldives do this for sunset viewing purposes.

Print Wikipost

The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:12 pm

Tipping Aris Meeha?

For people who have stayed here, what did you tip your Aris Meeha at the end of your stay? Can’t seem to find any guide on this. We’ve basically just used ours for setting up dinners, spa, one dive trip and a few shuttle rides to dinner. We’ve been here a week. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bpbenda
For people who have stayed here, what did you tip your Aris Meeha at the end of your stay? Can’t seem to find any guide on this. We’ve basically just used ours for setting up dinners, spa, one dive trip and a few shuttle rides to dinner. We’ve been here a week. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I have my stay at the RC coming up still. But for stays at Waldorf and St R, if they did not go above and beyond I would not tip as there is a quite hefty service charge on everything already. But opinions vary. It is however not the US, and they are not expected to make a living wage of their tips only.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PlatExec, Bonvoy Plat
We did...I'd says ours was, average, at best, and our only requirements were restaurant reservations and regular cookies in the room (!). I'm not American, so I struggle a little with the concept of tipping 20%+ because their employer doesn't pay them a living wage, but regardless, we tipped $100 for the 8 days.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:10 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Staff salaries in the Maldives are relatively low, even CoL weighted. For a resort like the Ritz Carlton, I think it is very reasonable to leave a 3-4 digit tip at the end of your stay. Ultimately, the money you are giving them will have a negligible impact on your life (frankly, probably 0 impact) but would likely be deeply appreciated by the staff. It might also be worth considering leaving tips for the staff you don’t see but are still working hard behind the scenes to make your stay enjoyable.

I would not feel comfortable leaving an experience so service oriented without giving a nice tip.
iluvdoco and atojbk like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bpbenda
It's really a personal choice with some not tipping at all for average service and others tipping $20 to $50 per day depending on how they perceived the service they got. No right or wrong here. This is discussed over and over again in many resort threads.

Would love to hear/read a full review of your stay!
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
The food was very very good. Everywhere. Iwau was jaw dropping. Arabesque & Summer Pavilion were fantastic. Summer Pavilion is no longer a set menu. Order what you want. They do have a quasi-set options where you pick 4 tapas plus a desert. The main restaurant, La Laconda, was average, their menu is just relatively small. They put on a lobster themed dinner on the beach every thursdays....do it. Make reservations in advance. Iwau only seats 8 guests total and has two seatings, a 7pm and 9pm.
What was the price of the Lobster dinner and was it a buffet style or a la carte menu? Was it the ambiance more or food or both that made this worthwhile? Our stay is going to be short at the RC before heading to STR so we only have a few dinners to plan. So far its Iwau, Summer Pavilion, and thinking about the lobster dinner.

Thanks for the insight.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Any recent stays here from people who have also stayed at the St. Regis? We want to go back to the Maldives in a month and are currently booked at the St. Regis because the rooms at the RC looked small and I've heard that there is pretty much zero snorkeling there.
But now in the St. Regis thread, someone mentioned talking to a couple who were regretting moving from the RC to the St. Regis, so I'm unsure again...
We stayed at the St. Regis 2 years ago and had a wonderful time, but we don't have anything to compare the experience to.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Any recent stays here from people who have also stayed at the St. Regis? We want to go back to the Maldives in a month and are currently booked at the St. Regis because the rooms at the RC looked small and I've heard that there is pretty much zero snorkeling there.
But now in the St. Regis thread, someone mentioned talking to a couple who were regretting moving from the RC to the St. Regis, so I'm unsure again...
We stayed at the St. Regis 2 years ago and had a wonderful time, but we don't have anything to compare the experience to.
I can certainly give you some thoughts in the new year! We are doing our "main" stay at the STR, but wanted to try out the RC given the location and the "new" factor. I will say that the RC just called me from the Maldives to discuss my excursions and restaurant interests. I've never received a live phone call from the St Regis. So that's a plus in my book. And it was during daylight US hours.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold

Just got back from an 8 night stay. The rooms are simply STUNNING. The rooms seem smaller than the St Regis but IMO the RC rooms have a wow factor and much better designed. The pool is also more functional since it is on the edge of the terrace as oppose to the pool being closer to the room. Snorkeling isn't zero but they don't have drop offs and some reefs are dead. Note that you have to get the sunrise rooms for snorkeling. I would choose the sunrise room over the sunset rooms - hardly any winds, the pool gets warmer (in fact too warm) and you get some marine life.

You can also join some excursions or rent a jet ski to snorkel on a nearby sand bank.

Let me know if you have any questions.
friedablass likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bacopa
Just got back from an 8 night stay. The rooms are simply STUNNING. The rooms seem smaller than the St Regis but IMO the RC rooms have a wow factor and much better designed. The pool is also more functional since it is on the edge of the terrace as oppose to the pool being closer to the room. Snorkeling isn't zero but they don't have drop offs and some reefs are dead. Note that you have to get the sunrise rooms for snorkeling. I would choose the sunrise room over the sunset rooms - hardly any winds, the pool gets warmer (in fact too warm) and you get some marine life.

You can also join some excursions or rent a jet ski to snorkel on a nearby sand bank.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Can you comment on the food and restaurant options? What did or didn't you like. Currently I'm booked for Summer Pavilion, Iwau, and Beach Lobster dinner.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you, Bacopa! So am I understanding you correctly that the snorkeling is significantly better at the St. Regis? I've heard that the rooms are nicer at the RC (which isn't really surprising, given that it's newer), but for me, the marine life is the most important thing with the Maldives... I loved how we could just hop into the water from our bungalow and see sharks and turtles and everything. The drop and the strong current was scary, but interesting. Did you go scuba diving?
Overall, you liked the RC better?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:15 am

Just flying back from 5 day stay on points. Service is great and room is amazing view of ocean. Don't get the half board - they're trying to figure it out and will just lead to confusion as they exclude things that are expensive eg no lobster no prawns even though they say it's included. Summer pavilion at $140 for 4 dishes not bad deal. Can take boat over to Fari marina where they have more restaurants and can use the pool /beach at Patina (not sure if really allowed but no one complains or asks). Snorkeling off the sea plane platform near the spa was pretty good but pales in comparison to taking a snorkle trip from Male from Seaholics. Took snorkle trip to Male and it was $50/person for 2 hrs and way better life eg saw a shark and fish around 2 ft vs the tiny fish near Ritz carleton which was tiny eg under 12" mostly. Paid $405 for an hr jetski and did two snorkel spots but fish weren't much bigger but saw a few small turtles. Pretty strong currents and crashing waves so not for weak swimmers. A few sting rays can be seen in the spa area but mostly dead artifical sand bottom. Food is super expensive at most places eg $50 for a burger. Overall pretty nice place with supreme privacy but not really an active vacation or stellar snorkeling. Mostly go if you enjoy beautiful villa and walk around naked outside on your deck without worries of anyone seeing you.
friedablass and lagunas2k like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Can you comment on the food and restaurant options? What did or didn't you like. Currently I'm booked for Summer Pavilion, Iwau, and Beach Lobster dinner.

Summer pavilion and IWAU were great. Summer pavilion was a great deal. Two people can share the 4 for 140 with the addition of appetizers. The lobster dinner was a ripoff. Paltry seafood platter and the lobster wasn't that great in my opinion. Spend your money at IWAU instead. Note that the 20 pct off don't apply to these places.

The beach shack is great for lunch though. The seafood extravaganza is a good deal. I thought the food overall was reasonably priced and the portions were generous, but things may change as they figure out they're giving away too much.

Cocktails were superb too!
lagunas2k likes this.

Last edited by Bacopa; Dec 16, 2021 at 1:29 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:27 pm

Thank you, Bacopa! So am I understanding you correctly that the snorkeling is significantly better at the St. Regis? I've heard that the rooms are nicer at the RC (which isn't really surprising, given that it's newer), but for me, the marine life is the most important thing with the Maldives... I loved how we could just hop into the water from our bungalow and see sharks and turtles and everything. The drop and the strong current was scary, but interesting. Did you go scuba diving?
Overall, you liked the RC better?
I say they are about the same. Some pros and cons and yes marine is better at STR.

We did see some rays and a resident octopus near the villa at RC.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:25 am

Thanks. I think we'll stick with the St. Regis, the RC would require 650-700k points for 5 nights. The St. Regis was "only" 425k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.