Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How To Get Credit For A Extended Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I hope I won’t incite the FT wrath.

I recently completed a 122 night stay at an Element hotel and checked out right as COVID-19 hit the fan. I had negotiated a rate directly with the hotel and signed a contract. The stay did not post and I sent in a missing stay request. I got a response from the hotel saying my contact says because of the discounted rate it would not qualify for Bonvoy points. After rereading the contract it does say that I am not eligible for “Starwood Preferred Guest” points. My question is since SPG does not exist anymore and the contract did not state Marriott Bonvoy do I have a case to make with Marriott? Or will this be an exercise of futility? If it makes any difference although I did stay more than 100 nights I did not meet the spend requirement for Ambassador Status.

Thanks,

That Ball Is History
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No.

Marriott assumed the assets & liabilities of SPG.

However, if you want to call the property now and ask whether it will renegotiate the contract, I am certain that it will do so. Pay a significantly higher rate x 122, and get the points.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by That ball is history
Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I hope I won’t incite the FT wrath.

I recently completed a 122 night stay at an Element hotel and checked out right as COVID-19 hit the fan. I had negotiated a rate directly with the hotel and signed a contract. The stay did not post and I sent in a missing stay request. I got a response from the hotel saying my contact says because of the discounted rate it would not qualify for Bonvoy points. After rereading the contract it does say that I am not eligible for “Starwood Preferred Guest” points. My question is since SPG does not exist anymore and the contract did not state Marriott Bonvoy do I have a case to make with Marriott? Or will this be an exercise of futility? If it makes any difference although I did stay more than 100 nights I did not meet the spend requirement for Ambassador Status.

Thanks,

That Ball Is History
Starwood had a rule that long term stays did not qualify for points. I think most programs have the same rule. If you want points, you have to specifically negotiate them with the hotel prior to the stay.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT! Yes, unfortunately this is something you should have negotiated with the property at the outset.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
As someone who routinely negotiates longer stays, the difference normally come down to a few dollars a night, especially in foreign countries. My last stay in Mexico it was 64 for nothing or 67 that included points, nights and free breakfast.

Chalk this one up as a lesson learned and next time when you negotiate either ask them for terms for both rates (points and nights or nothing) - then decide from there.
kamaainaflyer and kauppias like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
122 nights in a hotel. I'd go mental!
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Try 99 consecutive nights in a backpacker hostel, which I did once in Warsaw (2006). Maybe I should have stayed for the 100th night.. might have gotten a prize!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........I recently completed a 122 night stay at an Element hotel and checked out right as COVID-19 hit the fan. I had negotiated a rate directly with the hotel and signed a contract.....................After rereading the contract it does say that I am not eligible for “Starwood Preferred Guest” points. My question is since SPG does not exist anymore and the contract did not state Marriott Bonvoy do I have a case to make with Marriott?.........
Your contract did not state not eligible for World of Hyatt points either. Seriously, Bonvoy is the successor of Starwood Preferred Guest program and you have no leg to stand on. You can, however, go back to hotel management to renegotiate your contract. You may need to pay a higher rate to receive Bonvoy credit. Hotel management is likely to be receptive to award points in return for added revenue.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
30 days at home and I feel the same way.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
30 days at home and I feel the same way.
Welcome to my world... my personal record since 2006 was 28 nights at home and that was in 2020.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Welcome to my world... my personal record since 2006 was 28 nights at home and that was in 2020.
My longest stay is 29 nights in same hotel in Thailand - i got 2nd largest suite with a garden and a jacuzzi so it was rather nice :-)
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Gold, Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
As someone who routinely negotiates longer stays, the difference normally come down to a few dollars a night, especially in foreign countries. My last stay in Mexico it was 64 for nothing or 67 that included points, nights and free breakfast.

Chalk this one up as a lesson learned and next time when you negotiate either ask them for terms for both rates (points and nights or nothing) - then decide from there.
Yes, this advice is spot on. Sometimes the difference is just a few dollars more per night, and you get much more in return.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the rate was only $75, this is approaching a $10,000 contract. Worth a careful read.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
After rereading the contract it does say that I am not eligible for “Starwood Preferred Guest” points. My question is since SPG does not exist anymore and the contract did not state Marriott Bonvoy do I have a case to make with Marriott?
No.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 23, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.