Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Marriott reduce their exorbitant point redemptions in the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Marriott reduce their exorbitant point redemptions in the future?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
When it comes to how they have been treated, people tend to remember for a very long time. While in the short run it might be tempting for Marriott (and other hospitality and airline companies) to increase the cost of award redemptions to theoretically encourage more cash spending, it will generate a huge amount of ill will with the public. So they might temporarily bolster cash but at the cost of ultimately pushing customers away who had previously been loyal.
I think you far overestimate the public's memory. Frontier got excoriated over their attempt to charge people extra to maintain social distancing this week. But, I'm guessing when the general public is finally able to make leisure trips without (much) worry, they will have long forgotten how Frontier acted.

[This is what Frontier did, for anyone unfamiliar: https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...lanes-70546186]

Additionally, most people don't follow the ins and outs of frequent traveler programs. As such, I doubt that general travelers will even know whether point redemptions have gone up or down.

That said, I wish more people were cognizant of these types of issues. If more people were like you in terms of paying attention to the way companies act so as to reward ones that are good corporate citizens, bad companies might straighten up and flight right.

Sadly, that's a pipedream, as far as I'm concerned. Less that 60% of eligible voters actually vote in the United States. If they can't be bothered to vote, they certainly won't be spending their time tracking the actions of companies to ensure the "right" ones prosper.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am curious if Marriott is also going to keep charging the outrageous 'destination fees' at many hotels that are in cities, especially since there is zero benefit from those fees with the social distancing restrictions.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:49 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by rylan
I am curious if Marriott is also going to keep charging the outrageous 'destination fees' at many hotels that are in cities, especially since there is zero benefit from those fees with the social distancing restrictions.
Likely to see Cleaning Fees added as disinfecting the rooms will take additional time perhaps.
drewp123 likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
When it comes to how they have been treated, people tend to remember for a very long time. While in the short run it might be tempting for Marriott (and other hospitality and airline companies) to increase the cost of award redemptions to theoretically encourage more cash spending, it will generate a huge amount of ill will with the public. So they might temporarily bolster cash but at the cost of ultimately pushing customers away who had previously been loyal.
Sorry but the proof of this statement just doesn't exist. People have been whining about this on FT for literally years (like almost a decade at this point) and yet the generosity of literally every type of loyalty program (e.g. airlines, hotels, rental car, etc.) has declined by the year (heck, sometimes by the quarter). Whenever the latest devaluation or change is announced FTers freak out and start the ritual "gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes" and then very, very few actually modify their behavior.

Could this time be different? Sure, i suppose, but based on many years hanging out on FT, call me skeptical.

Regards
Tokyoite likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rylan
there is zero benefit from those fees with the social distancing restrictions.
There is zero benefit period. Social distancing does not affect the lack of value.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by scubadu
Sorry but the proof of this statement just doesn't exist. People have been whining about this on FT for literally years
So maybe 1/100 of 1% of travelers care. That doesn't change the truth of scubadu's statement. FT does not in any way reflect the attitudes or opinions of the general public.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:38 am

Any loyal customers that Marriott hasn't managed to drive away already are masochists, and we who fall into that category deserve whatever is coming to us.
hedoman likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 1:46 pm

From LoyaltyLobby Today: Marriott Bonvoy Off Peak/Standard/Peak Pricing Getting Out Of Control?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/05/10/...l/?omhide=true
happychic likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by GarudaSoars
From LoyaltyLobby Today: Marriott Bonvoy Off Peak/Standard/Peak Pricing Getting Out Of Control?

That's nuts, and seems to be similar in other parts of the globe based on searches I've done for decidedly off-peak times. Easy way for Marriott to fix this is to hard-code the system to require at least as many off-peak dates as peak, but knowing current management, that will never happen.
qlaval likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:26 pm

After checking the availability of properties I used to visit on a regular basis, I think Marriott actually loaded more peak dates for the rest of the year than last year before COVID19.
Just ridiculous.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:10 pm

It's worth highlighting that the analysis presented in this linked article is of 2 hotels. That's 2 out of over 7,000 properties.

Until the author does a more thorough analysis, this is nothing more a clickbait headline.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It's worth highlighting that the analysis presented in this linked article is of 2 hotels. That's 2 out of over 7,000 properties.

Until the author does a more thorough analysis, this is nothing more a clickbait headline.
So provide a more thorough analysis yourself. I'm sure others will want to see it.
Happy likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.

just click bait. only 2 hotels?!! laughable blog article. send back to editor with a F for Fail.
TSTraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.