Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

*** 8 Apr : Marriott announces Bonvoy status / points / SNA / FNA extensions ***

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

*** 8 Apr : Marriott announces Bonvoy status / points / SNA / FNA extensions ***

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Mine updated on the lap top, but not on the phone. This is Chrome.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador, AA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
So if Marriott didn’t extend status, people stay somewhere else. If Marriott does extend status, people stay somewhere else. Tough crowd. (And this applies to all programs across the board)
Well said and very true. And like the other poster stated - enjoy the benefits. I am glad Marriott made the decision.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Did they extend the FNAs? I have one that expires this month and I want to write to someone about it. Any ideas on email address to do this?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Any word on travel packages? I have two with planned usage this spring/summer but there's no way that's going to happen.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sggolf
Did they extend the FNAs? I have one that expires this month and I want to write to someone about it. Any ideas on email address to do this?
For the most part they will be extending all FNAs until January 31, 2021 if they're set to expire beforehand unless you're in certain regions of Asia then you get 12 month validity beyond date of issue.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, BW Diamond, Aeroplan 25k
What's with all the Bonvoy love?

First time poster, long time lurker. Signed up to call out Marriott for dropping the ball...and blown away by all the fanboys and girls here praising them for stepping up "a la Hilton". Koolaid much?

Hilton and Marriott responses aren't even in the same ballpark; and in my case, a final straw to shift what had been about a 50/50 stay split entirely to Hilton.

While Plat in 2019, sadly wound up a few days short of renewing for 2020 owing to parental leave (but at least had it until end-March). But despite merger changes preventing carryover on all those days, already had ~30 this year, and on track to get back to plat by fall. Til COVID got in the way...now not only back to post-merger-useless Gold as of last week, but likely next year as well.

Hilton, OTOH, recognized these exact situations, extending both current AND previous status. Classy. And pretty much guaranteeing all my business will go there later this year, next year, and ongoing...game, set and match, seeya later Bonvoy.

Yeah, I didn't re-earn plat...but was also short on Diamond. Yet bizarrely, Marriott didn't match Hilton's trump card, despite laying their hand down two weeks later. To the victor go the spoils...

"2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021."
Happy, UA-NYC, KRSW and 1 others like this.

Last edited by maplearrbee; Apr 8, 2020 at 5:57 pm
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by maplearrbee
First time poster, long time lurker. Signed up specifically to out Marriott for dropping the ball on this...and totally blown away to see all the fanboys and girls praising them here for stepping up a la Hilton. Koolaid much?

Hilton and Marriott responses aren't even in the same ballpark, and in my case, a final straw to shift what had been about a 50/50 stay split entirely to Hilton.

While Plat in 2019, sadly a few days short of renewing for 2020 (but at least had it until end-March). And despite merger changes preventing carryover on all those days, already have ~30 this year, so on track to get back to plat by fall. Til COVID got in the way. And now not only back to the post-merger-useless Gold as of last week, but likely next year as well.

Hilton, OTOH, recognized these exact situations, extending both current AND previous status. Classy. And pretty much guaranteeing all my business will go there this year, next year, and ongoing...game, set and match, seeya later Bonvoy.

"2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021."
there is another camp where people are saying why stay at Marriott (or Hilton in your case) if status was already extended? So do what you have to do.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Alaska
First time poster, long time lurker. Signed up specifically to out Marriott for dropping the ball on this...and totally blown away to see all the fanboys and girls praising them here for stepping up a la Hilton. Koolaid much?

Hilton and Marriott responses aren't even in the same ballpark, and in my case, a final straw to shift what had been about a 50/50 stay split entirely to Hilton.

While Plat in 2019, sadly a few days short of renewing for 2020 (but at least had it until end-March). And despite merger changes preventing carryover on all those days, already have ~30 this year, so on track to get back to plat by fall. Til COVID got in the way. And now not only back to the post-merger-useless Gold as of last week, but likely next year as well.

Hilton, OTOH, recognized these exact situations, extending both current AND previous status. Classy. And pretty much guaranteeing all my business will go there this year, next year, and ongoing...game, set and match, seeya later Bonvoy.

You do see a flaw in your travel strategy, right? 50/50 on two chains without enough nights to keep both?

why not 60/40, 70/30 or 100/0?

status earned is to be enjoyed as much as possible, not to look around and earn another.
clarkef and maplearrbee like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 pm

Yep, but usually have enough to spread across both chains, and prefer different locations in different cities.

Edited OP to clarify the gap as unexpected owing to a new baby. Had I known at start of year that nights would drop, would have focused, but kids make everything a challenge.

Originally Posted by freed0m
You do see a flaw in your travel strategy, right? 50/50 on two chains without enough nights to keep both?

why not 60/40, 70/30 or 100/0?

status earned is to be enjoyed as much as possible, not to look around and earn another.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I received the email and my desktop account reflects the extension to Feb 2022.

It is interesting that message appears silent on whether an "extension" counts as an additional year earned towards Lifetime Elite Qualification. My suspicion is "no".
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:12 pm

Yep, but usually have enough to spread across both chains, and prefer different locations in different cities.

Edited OP to clarify the gap as unexpected owing to a new baby. Had I known at start of year that nights would drop, would have focused, but kids make everything a challenge.
You can try to make a plea for it given your circumstance. It won't hurt.

I guess you are not in US. US has credit for Hilton Diamond.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:13 pm

Because breakfast. Of course. And lounge access. No-brainer.

As too should be Marriott's choice to at least match their biggest competitor's offer. Says a lot about their business acumen and/or customer centricity that they didn't...

Originally Posted by myperks
there is another camp where people are saying why stay at Marriott (or Hilton in your case) if status was already extended? So do what you have to do.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:15 pm

Tried and denied. And yes, much like exchange rates (and 1/3 less points as a result), we often get the smelly end of the stick up here.

Originally Posted by freed0m
You can try to make a plea for it given your circumstance. It won't hurt.

I guess you are not in US. US has credit for Hilton Diamond.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:28 pm

Because breakfast. Of course. And lounge access. No-brainer.

As too should be Marriott's choice to at least match their biggest competitor's offer. Says a lot about their business acumen and/or customer centricity that they didn't...
Marriott has too many "fake" Platinum and Titanium in 2019 after merge and unlimited meetings. This year is a year to flush out.

I can understand why Marriott chooses not to soft land or extend 2019 status.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This MAY inspire me to come back. We will see. I am going to adopt a wait and see approach. There are times where staying at Marriott is useful for me. They are still a far cry from the SPG days... believe me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.