Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Interesting answer I get from hotel managers when I call about the rates now

Interesting answer I get from hotel managers when I call about the rates now

Old Mar 31, 20, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have stayed at that hotel. I have never bothered to notice what the hotel credit card hold rates are. I generally don’t mind whatever they are, but i do have to say, I don’t think they should be doing that.
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
I would expect to see the lower rates on the third party sites, the mystery 5 star hotel which you wont get to see until you book that provides no benefits and perks. No need to aggressively price on their own platform.
Given the degree to which said platforms cut into revenue (on top of the discount), I'd think hotels might actually consider going the other way and pulling mystery offers.
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by BSpeaker View Post
Electricity rates don't go down, neither do water rates. Housekeeping is still not paid enough, so you are asking for them to take a cut for you. Security probably needs to be increased rather than decreased. Which service would you be willing to eliminate so you can get an extra couple of dollars off a room rate? Hotels are businesses that still have to pay all their bills and taxes, and a 2% occupancy rate is horrifying, especially if it lasts. I would think, if anything, after this is all over, a hotel might have a "One Week Welcome Back" deal that will get their regulars to stay at their property again. Other than that, as a business person, IMHO, your assumption/request is a bit over the top.
Rates don't go down, but consumption presumably does. I wonder what a hotel might save by mostly dropping the lights on disused floors and moving the heat/A/C settings closer to the regional ambient temperature, for example?
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Given the degree to which said platforms cut into revenue (on top of the discount), I'd think hotels might actually consider going the other way and pulling mystery offers.
That was my thought as well.
Old Apr 1, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
In addition to what Newman wrote, lowering rates is unlikely to drum up new business due to travel restrictions/flight availability but it would likely cause "cancel/rebook" on the existing bookings into a lower rate. Under current situation, net effect on lowering rates is lower overall revenue instead of increase.
Very true. I've been momitoring rates at hotels I've booked in case things get back to normal and rebook whenever they drop. Saved over $100/night at some places; all on fully refundables.
Old Apr 1, 20, 8:35 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I expect a lot of them will just close. There is hardly any demand, and key now is to reduce costs, not try to generate minimal cash flow.
The calculation is "Do we make enough to have less of a loss operating or are we better off shutting down?" If they can make enough to cover the variable costs and. some fixed costs they are better off staying open.
darthbimmer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 5:24 pm

Programs: OnePass / ASmileageplan / AAdvantage / Amtrak / ChoiceRewards / etc.
need to travel

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
May I ask why?

Genuine curiosity - there cannot be many people with a genuine need to "travel" right now.
National law requires that I appear in person before the National (Federal in your mind possibly) law enforcement authority to verify my identity to collect my physical cryptographic identity device authorized by the government to conduct my affairs digitally: Economic collapse or not. (BTW the time period is not extended due to travel restrictions.)

There is no way I can 'telecommute' to do so.

Some people 'need' to travel.

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 5, 20 at 10:50 am Reason: Off topic content redacted.
Old Apr 2, 20, 7:36 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
The hotel is not discriminating. Anyone can book and stay at the property.
seawolf, Newman and JBord like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hotels in some cities are offering monthly rentals of rooms. One such hotel that often charged about $150-250/night last year is doing month long rentals for $1000 this year.

Some hotels are offering rooms at a daily rate with the rooms to be used as substitute offices for those told to work at home but who find working at home to be undesirable at times. One such hotel that charges $80-180 is offering rooms for this purpose at $35 per booked day.

In countries where going into bankruptcy can be much less forgiving than in the US, the hotel owners may have to make more desperate moves ..... especially if the hotel has a massive debt to service and lenders are not able or willing to do much for the hotel owner on better terms than the prospective lender can get by holding out to be a vulture of sort.
Old Apr 4, 20, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Hotels in some cities are offering monthly rentals of rooms. One such hotel that often charged about $150-250/night last year is doing month long rentals for $1000 this year.

Some hotels are offering rooms at a daily rate with the rooms to be used as substitute offices for those told to work at home but who find working at home to be undesirable at times. One such hotel that charges $80-180 is offering rooms for this purpose at $35 per booked day.

In countries where going into bankruptcy can be much less forgiving than in the US, the hotel owners may have to make more desperate moves ..... especially if the hotel has a massive debt to service and lenders are not able or willing to do much for the hotel owner on better terms than the prospective lender can get by holding out to be a vulture of sort.
$250 a night hotel rooms going for $1000 per month?
$180 a night hotel rooms going for $35 per night?

I'd like to know the names of those hotels so I can contact the managers. There seems to be a theme here. They want to keep the rates low to drive away the middle, upper income, and business traveler. This reeks of hidden discrimination against those of us that want to avoid hotels catering to party-goers, transients, hookers, etc.
Unbelievable this goes on in 2020.

(in case someone didn't get it, the above was intended to be light-hearted and sarcastic).

Newman

Last edited by Newman; Apr 4, 20 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 4, 20, 4:52 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.

What are some of the cities where this happens?

Last edited by rny321; Apr 4, 20 at 4:59 pm
Old Apr 5, 20, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
What are some of the cities where this happens?
Stockholm, the epicenter of deaths in Sweden from this coronavirus situation, is one.
Old Apr 5, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Stockholm, the epicenter of deaths in Sweden from this coronavirus situation, is one.
Thank you for responding. I thought the information might be useful to travelers interested in booking an extended stay in case the return home is delayed due to travel restrictions.
Old Apr 6, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
This has got to be one of the most amusing posts Ive read.
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:04 am

Its like OP has never been to a hotel where people are having room parties.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: