Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Interesting answer I get from hotel managers when I call about the rates now

Interesting answer I get from hotel managers when I call about the rates now

Old Mar 27, 20, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy
Although I think the idea of balancing price per night to overhead as the most reasonable explanation.

Consider this....

Occasional binge doper dude looking for a room for the weekend to smoke some meth away from his family. $59 a night at the Motel 6 off the highway or $59 a night at the W downtown. The party grows after he starts boasting about his dope room at the W.

You want that dude next door?

Selective on clientele? Yep. Discrimination on a protected class? No.
Old Mar 27, 20, 9:33 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by mikebor View Post
Again to me it reeks of hidden discrimination.
Tell me, do you see discrimination in this picture as well?

Newman and msp3 like this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 10:13 pm

The theme seems to be that they don't want to make the rate too low to attract a different type of clientele to stay there. When I press them on what that means they pretty much tell me to read between the lines in so many words.
Perhaps the hotels donít want people to self isolate or worse, symptomatic patients quarantine in their prosperities?
Old Mar 27, 20, 11:20 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
IMHO the hotel is thinking more about risk mitigation than it is of any sort ot discrimination. And, furthermore when considering what actions an individual does that is not really discriminatory as that individual has an active choice as to what they do or do not do... I believe the definition of discrimination is when someone is penalized due to some characteristic they did not have a choice in, such as gender or country of origin etc

So if the hotel is trying to prevent, say a group people joining together to rent a room for a party, or say self isolation like others have noted, etc etc then no that doesn't fit the definition of discrimination rather it fits the definition of wise business decision 🤔
Newman likes this.

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Mar 27, 20 at 11:32 pm
Old Mar 28, 20, 12:49 am

Maybe try Hotwire or Priceline instead. Those would be the first places hotels go to dump excess inventory.
Old Mar 28, 20, 2:19 am

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Currently staying in a hotel on points. Let 'em get reimbursed $30/night versus paying $190. I've tried to negotiate at hotels where I am known and have had little success. Zero success at hotels where I am not known.

Regarding Priceline......very few hotels where I travel are discounting much. When I see a bargain price, PL has added fees that I refuse to pay. Haven't been able to do a PL booking the past six months.
mikebor likes this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
So I still have to travel
May I ask why?

Genuine curiosity - there cannot be many people with a genuine need to "travel" right now.
CO-PLAT and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:56 am

I don't stay in $159 hotels, but where I stay <$50 in good times, I've been able to negiotate directly with the owner to get discounts, at minimal I want the 15-18% they save on OTA fees (agoda) but aim higher and gotten 40% on latest hotel, of course I'm booking multiple nights. There was someone trying it at reception the other day for 1 night - and of course they refused to budge - the cleaning, the admin (for immigration etc..), the risk of disturbing other guests doesn't make it worthwhile.
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I have no idea why refusing to lower rates is discrimination.

If an Aman Resort didn’t lower its rate to $99 would that be discrimination as well?
Newman likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; Mar 28, 20 at 5:54 am
Old Mar 28, 20, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I still have to travel but 1 thing I have noticed is that a lot of hotels that are open are still charging a decent amount for a room. I mean they have 2% occupancy but their rates don't seem to reflect that. Not all but some. So I have noticed a general theme by the managers when I call and ask why their rates are so high when nobody is traveling. Or not many are traveling.

The theme seems to be that they don't want to make the rate too low to attract a different type of clientele to stay there. When I press them on what that means they pretty much tell me to read between the lines in so many words.

So I'm asking here, does this kind of response sound prejudice or biased or discriminatory in any way? Like who don't they want staying there, people that can afford a $59 dollar rate but not $159? And I've gotten this same type of answer from multiple managers at multiple hotels I have called.

Again to me it reeks of hidden discrimination. They don't want low income people(and a lot of other adjectives) staying there as it would bring down the reputation of the property. So these hotels would rather have a 2% occupancy at a $159 rate than a 10-15% occupancy at a $69 rate because of the different kind of people who would stay there smh. Unbelievable this goes on in 2020.
I've heard that it has more do with annoying future visitors who have prepaid for normal rates, both now and several months from now.

Furthermore, it's logical to refrain from pricing rooms below cost (about $50 per night at many full service hotels).

However, if you're okay staying at nonbranded hotels, rates are very low in many markets these days. Hong Kong comes to mind, for example.
Old Mar 28, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think there are so many reasons they don’t want to do it

1. Many states have come after various industries and shut them down during this time. Some revenue is better than none. If there is a great “let’s go on a vacation sale” strategy pursued, it could backfire and the regulators could close the hotels.

2. Some people really need to travel, there are few, but they exist. Having the hotel not overrun makes them feel safer, and also allows you to have a smaller staff.

3. Preserve profit margin

4. Preserve brand integrity for on the other side of this.

Now, it is once we reopen, the hotels will have to reassess. If travel patterns change permanently, then they may have to get creative with their promotions to remind people about the joys of staying in Marriot hotels.
Old Mar 28, 20, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Appreciate all the replies and I agree with some on here and their thoughts. But when I had 2 high level managers tell me straight up they don't want "the bad element" coming there which would happen if they dropped the rate a lot, well you can read between the lines. It ain't rocket science.

I'm in a city right now where there are a large population of african americans. I know what both of those managers meant. And I just think it's wrong.
Old Mar 28, 20, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you expect half price rates from other businesses you frequent as well?
Old Mar 28, 20, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Do you expect half price rates from other businesses you frequent as well?
You are totally missing the point. During the holidays this past season 2 of the hotels I spoke with recently were selling their rooms at around $109, $119 rates. Now with freaking 2% occupancy the same places are selling at $159, $169. Why? Makes no sense? Unless, unless they don't want a different hotel guest staying there. And it's obvious what the mgrs mean by that. Again you can read between the lines. And it's basic economics too, high demand higher rates, low demand slow times should equate to low rates. It's not happening with some of the hotels I have spoken with and it's basically because of 1 reason that I find discriminatory and prejudiced.

You can agree or disagree no problem.
Old Mar 28, 20, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.......it's basically because of 1 reason that I find discriminatory and prejudiced..........
Why don't you file a Civil Rights complaint with DoJ?
Newman, irishguy28 and Jaenks like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: