Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds to take several months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Refunds to take several months

A week ago, I canceled a prepaid reservation, and the system said that I would get a refund (per current policy). I called today to ask about the refund, and I was told refunds were taking several months at least to process. When I asked (very politely) why it took so long since it should be automated, I was told that each refund had to be manually reviewed and processed.

Is Marriott that lacking in automation? It sounds very fishy to me...
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Perhaps the new policy wasn't programmed before they laid off 120,000 people (or whatever it was)? Not defending the delay, I'd be annoyed too. But it's a possible explanation for the manual process.
EuropeanPete and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:00 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They are saving money for sure, so they don't crash so soon
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Perhaps the new policy wasn't programmed before they laid off 120,000 people (or whatever it was)? Not defending the delay, I'd be annoyed too. But it's a possible explanation for the manual process.
App said that I would get a full refund upon cancellation so it appears that they did that part. I'm not holding my breath.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
They are saving money for sure, so they don't crash so soon
More likely its just Marriott IT, I cancelled a prepaid (but refundable) reservation and it credited back in days. I suspect the previously non-refundable prepaid reservations are the ones that will take a while...
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bwallet

Is Marriott that lacking in automation?
"Marriott" doesn't likely have your money. The property that you were scheduled to stay at likely has your money, which could be managed by Marriott or it could be managed by the owner of the property.

Either way, it's not an automated process.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: TK/NH
What would be the best solution here? Wait, contact Marriott, or contact the property? Same thing happened to me, had to cancel a trip in April. It's been 10 days after I cancelled, I still have not received the refund.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ryaies
What would be the best solution here? Wait, contact Marriott, or contact the property? Same thing happened to me, had to cancel a trip in April. It's been 10 days after I cancelled, I still have not received the refund.
If it were me, I'd contact Marriott, so the call/email is logged and they've given you a time estimate. And take screen shots of everything. Given the uncertain future, it may not help, but can't hurt to have an electronic paper trail. Most likely this all works itself out over time and you get your refund, but you never know. I believe Marriott is who you've done business with, not the individual property. I believe if a franchised property closes down, for example, Marriott is still responsible for refunds.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
LOL, we cancelled a normal reservation (not pre-paid) for the Gaylord Texan. The hotel charged us anyway two days later. I am working to get my money back now.

No problem with a delay on the refund, but why did they charge me AFTER I cancelled.

Very frustrating!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Initiate chargeback
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This.

Do not waste your time arguing with front line clerical personnel who have no say or capability to do what they have been instructed not to do.

Request the refund, keep a screen shot of everything and download the policy showing that the reservation is now refundable and then give it a fair period of time. DOT provides air carriers 7 days and that seems reasonable here. On the 8th day, file a chargeback. Submit the policy and screen shots.

This both puts the shoe on the other foot and protects you.
seawolf, MaxFlyer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Specifically the 7 day refund rule is 12 CFR 1026.12(e). DOT enforces this for airlines. I don’t think they enforce this for hotels. Not sure which agency this will fall under for hotels.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:53 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Ryaies

Hi Ryaies,

We'd be glad to check on this for you. Just send a Private Message with your full name, contact information, and the reservation confirmation number.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
twa777, KRSW, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by seawolf
Specifically the 7 day refund rule is 12 CFR 1026.12(e). DOT enforces this for airlines. I don’t think they enforce this for hotels. Not sure which agency this will fall under for hotels.
There is no 7-day rule for hotels.

As noted, it is simply a question of picking a reasonable time period for a refund and this is as reasonable as anything else.

The key is not to delay. If the refund does come in while the chargeback is pending, simply notify your card issuer.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I had to cancel a prepaid reservation last week and did so online. It cancelled right away but I did not get my refund. Tried to contact the property directly through concierge email with no response.

Called up Bonvoy and the CS agent apologized and said he would contact the property and take care of it.

2 days later the refund to my CC showed up.

I can only imagine how many of these they unfortunately need to manage.

CC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.