Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Long Stay - hotel combined multiple reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I've got a long stay coming up (an unknown amount of months not less than three). I made about 10 separate reservations for a couple weeks each, all at the same hotel. I ended up corresponding with the hotel and the reservation was combined into one very long stay. I don't want to cancel the reservation and rebook again (just yet) because there is only one 2-bedroom suite and I don't want to lose it.

Welcome bonus points and any promotions aside, what are the disadvantages or implications of this very long stay?
I read past stuff about no points on reservations over 30 nights? But it looks like old SPG rules.

If I have to (get to) leave early, what happens (multi-night penalty or the whole shebang)?

It's a TownePlace Suites hotel. Aside from 5x points instead of 10, what should I know about this brand?

I know I should be hopping about on one night stays with this recent promotion, but my family would mutiny for sure.

I have reached out to the hotel to fix it and am waiting for a response.

Thanks much!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
Welcome bonus points and any promotions aside, what are the disadvantages or implications of this very long stay?
The only implication I can think of, and it's a positive one, is that in most states stays over 30 days do not incur taxes. I know that is the case for Colorado and Virginia. Google "stays over 30 days no taxes <state name>" to find out about the state in which you are staying. Some states give refunds instead of being exempt so you may also want to Google "Hotel tax refund after 30 days <state name>" if the other Google search does not return the results you are seeking. In that case you want your reservations to exceed 30 nights. ALSO, you may find that there are long term rates that are lower than the ones you reserved. In the past I have stumbled across some pretty low 21+ night rates and 30+ night rates.

I have reached out to the hotel to fix it and am waiting for a response.
What is the "it" that you want fixed?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! There is quite a favourable rate. Though I am reimbursed for the nightly rate. Likely not for any early departure fee though.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
A possible downside is if you end up needing to cancel one more of those individual reservations (due to travel changes), then if everything has been merged into a single reservation, that could cause problems. But note that as far as check-in bonuses, any possible multiple stay bonuses, etc go, if your various reservations are back-to-back, Marriott by standard practice would consider all your reservations as a single "stay". So trying to keep each reservation separate won't really help for that purpose.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I can recall Starwood had a no points credit policy or nights earned for stays longer than 90 nights.

Also, having separate reservations gives you the flexibility to check out early. Some hotels will charge a an early checkout fee if you checkout a day or two earlier.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Have you asked the hotel about any early departure fee/policy? Worst case, I would ask them to honor the timings of the original reservations you made.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:14 am

I am in the same boat currently, but got upgraded to a famly suite with my platinum status so i dont want to move... lol
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
What is the "it" that you want fixed?
To change it back to separate multiple reservations.

Which he did at my request. And still offered the nice rate.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

So I have checked in to the hotel. But I won't be staying for too long. Three weeks top and we'll head on. The room is kind of shabby. They only have one two bedroom suite. And it's too small for the four of us for such a long stay. I may check out the regular suites and see if they are in better shape.

There are signs in the elevator advising that the hotel is not servicing any of the rooms at this hotel on a daily basis. They will only come in once a week (the day is my choice) due to COVID. I can still request towels, coffee etc. Buffet breakfast is closed down which is completely understandable. But not cleaning the bathrooms or even changing the beds twice a week isn't really acceptable to me. Hotel rooms are gross enough as it is when you think about it.

Last edited by NotJustDreaming; Mar 26, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
But note that as far as check-in bonuses, any possible multiple stay bonuses, etc go, if your various reservations are back-to-back, Marriott by standard practice would consider all your reservations as a single "stay". So trying to keep each reservation separate won't really help for that purpose.
Thanks. I know this. I was keeping them separate to make cancelling future nights possible without penalty.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So I have checked in to the hotel. But I won't be staying for too long. Three weeks top and we'll head on. The room is kind of shabby. They only have one two bedroom suite. And it's too small for the four of us for such a long stay. I may check out the regular suites and see if they are in better shape.

There are signs in the elevator advising that the hotel is not servicing any of the rooms at this hotel on a daily basis. They will only come in once a week (the day is my choice) due to COVID. I can still request towels, coffee etc. Buffet breakfast is closed down which is completely understandable. But not cleaning the bathrooms or even changing the beds twice a week isn't really acceptable to me. Hotel rooms are gross enough as it is when you think about it.
I'm not sure I would want lots of different random housekeepers entering my room at this time. The fewer hands touching surfaces that you touch the better.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure I would want lots of different random housekeepers entering my room at this time. The fewer hands touching surfaces that you touch the better.
Good point for sure.
I think a vacation rental may a better option for us. I spent half hour wiping down surfaces when we arrived. I don't want to do that every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.