Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No night/points No status? Gov't Imposed Isolation at Marriott in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75

Just flew from YYZ to Taiyuan, landed in China and the entire plane was put into government imposed isolation for 14 days at the Fairfield Taiyuan South Railway Station property. Passengers are to cover the room and board cost out of pocket by ourselves at a rate of 450 CNY per night

Front desk refuse to recognize elite status and refuse to take membership number for points/night accural, is that reasonable? I thought even if booking was made by a third party (in this case the government), we should still receive status recognition?

If there a Marriott Rep on this forum? Can someone @Him/her? Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:57 pm

Seriously you are in China! Where he heck did you think you were going? You do know they have "black jails" "ghost jails" etc. I would keep you mouth shut and not post anything. You have no concept of what they can do to you if you cause problems and you are worried about points and status? Wait until you are locked in a room with no lights or windows. Your post sounds like an entitled spoiled American. Please settle down and be compliant.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:59 pm

Stay quit and be nice. You have no concept of what can be done to you and your living conditions. In the middle of night you can be moved to concrete windowless room with no communication. Please understand people who make waves disappear on a regular basis.
Newman, MaddyC, redadeco and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:05 pm

In late 2018, Marriott stopped honoring elite benefits on third party bookings.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:27 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by UAConcorde
Just flew from YYZ to Taiyuan, landed in China and the entire plane was put into government imposed isolation for 14 days at the Fairfield Taiyuan South Railway Station property. Passengers are to cover the room and board cost out of pocket by ourselves at a rate of 450 CNY per night

Front desk refuse to recognize elite status and refuse to take membership number for points/night accural, is that reasonable? I thought even if booking was made by a third party (in this case the government), we should still receive status recognition?

The hotel probably participate in some government program and government books a block rate. In this case, elite program does not apply. The hotel is already booked by the government. 3rd party booking is not covered with hotel elite program.

Sorry. Elite status is the last thing the hotel or the government worry now.....

But still enjoy the stay there.
360guy, wrp96 and Beano like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Passengers are to cover the room and board cost out of pocket by ourselves at a rate of 450 CNY per night !
It seems you are "staying and paying," but as others have noted, third party bookings don't qualify.

Your only hope would be to replace the pre-arranged booking with your own booking — but that's probably not possible. If it is possible, you could see there's qualifying rate you could pay. And if the rate you can get on your own is higher, the limited benefits, points, and elite qualifying nights might not be worth the premium. You're dealing with unusual circumstances, and you're in China, so it might be better just to do what they want you to do.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 21, 2020 at 5:56 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Let me get this straight.
You voluntarily left Canada to fly into the epicenter of a worldwide pandemic.
You are in a country that is a brutal, repressive dictatorship which allows no freedom or dissent.
Do you understand that you put your health, and perhaps life, in jeopardy by flying to China?
And your biggest concern is not receiving all of your Bonvoy elite benefits?
Oy........

Newman

Newman
mathprof, MaddyC, redadeco and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:57 pm
Suspended

If I follow your logic, if we stay at any Marriott hotels in China, we put ourselves in some kind of jails? Then Marriott, Hyatt and other hotels must have done a horrible job to build some jails in China and other countries with brutal dictatorship.

How about Russia, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arab and a lot more countries?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
When i joined this forum back in college, the whole purpose was to figure out TECHNICALITIES and details, so forgive me i still think of FT as THE most reliable place to get more accurate and technical explanations on policies and protocol of the travel industry

For the record China has not had any new COVID 19 cases locally for 3 days in a row now, the virus has left China and moved on to your countries
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:42 pm
Suspended

When i joined this forum back in college, the whole purpose was to figure out TECHNICALITIES and details, so forgive me i still think of FT as THE most reliable place to get more accurate and technical explanations on policies and protocol of the travel industry
Well, some say the brutal repressive dictatorship regime in China put down the virus outbreak with its repressive means. Now the free world have to pick up fight. But we can't use the repressive means. Freedom world people have the freedom and liberty. We have our own way fighting this virus.... This is what happening in Italy, Spain and USA. Florida is going to close some of the beaches from next Monday. We still enjoy the last spring break weekend.
redadeco and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by davie355
In late 2018, Marriott stopped honoring elite benefits on third party bookings.
this is the correct answer to your question.

My question is why you went to China under these circumstances?
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Think I’ve seen it all today. A FT’er flies to China (mind boggling in its own right), gets quarantined and is worried about receiving Bonvoy points.

Normally I would think this is a troll but in these crazy times I appreciate the entertainment.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Why is this a troll?

There is current virus outbreak in US and Canada. But the new cases in China and some other Asian countries are low or close to 0. The virus testing is readily available there, but people here can't get tested. So some people just fly to safer places. Those may be smart people, instead of waiting here in NYC, California or Seattle and get infected.
Handcake and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:06 pm

For the record China has not had any new COVID 19 cases locally for 3 days in a row now, the virus has left China and moved on to your countries
says China, and you know how honest they've been in the past about this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
says China, and you know how honest they've been in the past about this.
China has done a good job stopping the virus. I’m living in Shanghai and there are very few cases and testing is widely available. Seems there are quite a few China hawks on this thread, it’s ridiculous at a time like this when we all need to work together as humans to stop the virus. China’s experience can offer lessons to other countries now.

Why the OP expects to get Marriott benefits on a government mandated quarantine boggles the mind. Just feel lucky you’re in a Fairfield rather than the Jinjiang Inn by the railway station.
RedSun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.