Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No night/points No status? Gov't Imposed Isolation at Marriott in China

No night/points No status? Gov't Imposed Isolation at Marriott in China

Old Mar 21, 20, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UAConcorde View Post
Just flew from YYZ to Taiyuan, landed in China and the entire plane was put into government imposed isolation for 14 days at the Fairfield Taiyuan South Railway Station property. Passengers are to cover the room and board cost out of pocket by ourselves at a rate of 450 CNY per night

Front desk refuse to recognize elite status and refuse to take membership number for points/night accural, is that reasonable? I thought even if booking was made by a third party (in this case the government), we should still receive status recognition?

If there a Marriott Rep on this forum? Can someone @Him/her? Thanks!
As a hotelier I hope China cuts off your internet and you get nothing. You are asking purely out of greed while everyone else is making huge sacrifices.
Newman likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
As a hotelier I hope China cuts off your internet and you get nothing. You are asking purely out of greed while everyone else is making huge sacrifices.
This is FT though, so asking about the points, and elite benefits is par for the course.
Silver Fox and RedSun like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
You voluntarily left Canada to fly into the epicenter of a worldwide pandemic.
That would be Italy. The epicenter hasn't been in China for some time. Frankly, I would feel safer in China than the U.S. right now - at least China has a functional health care system.

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
We still enjoy the last spring break weekend.
Only people who have no respect for their health or the health of others have been partying during spring break. It's attitudes like this that will prolong the epidemic far past when it should die down.
craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 21, 20 at 10:02 pm Reason: improved punctuation
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G; HH Diamond;
This person arranged it right for their HK quarantine.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32211931-post424.html
ftrichard likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
China has not reported any locally spread cases for a couple days now, however they are still reporting cases which they state are all imported from people flying in. Hence, China is taking their usual draconian methods and being strict on incoming flights. Unfortunately you have little to no rights there.

Yes Marriott won't give points for 3rd party bookings, however you do and can get credit for special rates like aaa, senior, and government. One could reasonably argue that rate the OP is staying is a government rate and so should earn and have benefits. You could also keep the receipt and use the 'missing stay' request after you get out.

I'd be more worried that they'll lock the door from the outside and only open it to give you some food however...
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
folks..i think we have to reevaluate our American POV. We are considered a high risk country now, that means AMERICANS are what other countries are afraid of. WE ARE THE SPREADERS NOW. Most countries you travel to will require you to isolate for 14 days to PROTECT their COUNTRY.

Times are changing folks. We are the problem now.

Check if your reservation shows up on your account. You can always call in and ask for the points afterwards, no guarantees . No way you are going to get any elite benefits though as this is a pandemic. I mean come on, really? I thought road warriors required a certain level of street smarts....
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
You know OP was just asking if he should be getting benefits or not on the MARRIOTT forum.

Give it a rest with all that silly lecture about why OP needs to be in China (which BTW he will be quarantined for 14 days at his expense).

And for the rest of you people whining that China is a dictatorship, you should have boycotted Marriott a long long time ago, considering that they have aggressively expanded their footprint in China
RedSun likes this.

Last edited by supatight80; Mar 21, 20 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:22 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I'm not going to get into a ridiculous political discussion with ignorant people who clearly have never been in China but are willing to expound without knowledge... But I flew back to China several weeks ago because it is clearly the safest place to be in the world right now. There are 3 people in this thread who actually live in China and agree on the safety while the others who've posted do not live in China.

Anyway, the OPs question is legitimate even if the points / benefits don't matter much compared to being safe. The tone of the post is a little over the top but question reasonable... Wouldn't you want points?

My guess is this was a block reservation and price...thus you would not get points or benefits. Moreover, most likely health/ govt officials are running the hotel and have more important things to worry about than getting guests status and they probably have no idea what status and benefits are.

You will be put in room and health workers (not Marriott staff most likely) will bring the food to you 3 times a day.

Be happy you're in a country that has masks and an efficient policy to contain the spread of the virus

Taiyuan is far safer than any place in North America. Don't yell at the staff about benefits. They can and will deport foreigners (they did to an Aussie who broke quarantine rules)

The last place you want to be now is in the US where the situation is the most dangerous. Canada is better but Taiyuan is good.
craigthemif and RedSun like this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:16 am

Programs: UA
It does not seem that the hotel is taking any reservations for the next month.

My guess is that the local government has leased the entire hotel — some counties have done the same in the US (as an example King County, WA bought one and has leased a second).

As the government made the reservation I would surmise this is the equivalent of a third party booking— as this was not a reservation made directly with Marriott.

The rate paid is reimbursing the government for the stay.

The government is likely concerned with people entering China with the virus — so a quarantine.

This is not an issue I would make a fuss over given the circumstances.
Old Mar 22, 20, 2:59 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
When i joined this forum back in college, the whole purpose was to figure out TECHNICALITIES and details, so forgive me i still think of FT as THE most reliable place to get more accurate and technical explanations on policies and protocol of the travel industry

For the record China has not had any new COVID 19 cases locally for 3 days in a row now, the virus has left China and moved on to your countries
if it is true, the earth is flat then
Mwenenzi and kalo93406 like this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:02 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
I'm not going to get into a ridiculous political discussion with ignorant people who clearly have never been in China but are willing to expound without knowledge... But I flew back to China several weeks ago because it is clearly the safest place to be in the world right now. There are 3 people in this thread who actually live in China and agree on the safety while the others who've posted do not live in China.

Anyway, the OPs question is legitimate even if the points / benefits don't matter much compared to being safe. The tone of the post is a little over the top but question reasonable... Wouldn't you want points?

My guess is this was a block reservation and price...thus you would not get points or benefits. Moreover, most likely health/ govt officials are running the hotel and have more important things to worry about than getting guests status and they probably have no idea what status and benefits are.

You will be put in room and health workers (not Marriott staff most likely) will bring the food to you 3 times a day.

Be happy you're in a country that has masks and an efficient policy to contain the spread of the virus

Taiyuan is far safer than any place in North America. Don't yell at the staff about benefits. They can and will deport foreigners (they did to an Aussie who broke quarantine rules)

The last place you want to be now is in the US where the situation is the most dangerous. Canada is better but Taiyuan is good.
The safest place in the world right now is Taiwan, not china
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DM, AS 75K,VA Silver, MR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EG8196 View Post
The safest place in the world right now is Taiwan, not china
Honestly, given how serious China has been taking it now with the imported cases, China is probably right behind TW in safe places.
Old Mar 22, 20, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis View Post
Honestly, given how serious China has been taking it now with the imported cases, China is probably right behind TW in safe places.
After screwing up initially (China did lie to the WHO about the transmission in early January, they already knew human to human transmission was happening but lied about it) China has done a good job in containment. I don't agree with all the methods but results are good. I am happy to be here in Taiwan instead though.
Old Mar 22, 20, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Third party booking doesn't qualify, either for elite benefits or points. If benefits and points are really important, try to book or negotiate a new booking on your own. You will likely pay a higher market rate.

2.1.f Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or

ii. The guest room was booked at a group rate as part of an event, meeting, conference or organized tour, and the Member does not directly pay the Participating Property for such room; or

iii. The guest room was booked at a tour operator, wholesaler, or crew room rate or package including, without limitation, Fam-Tastic® rates, Plan-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings; or
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#earn
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
….For the record China has not had any new COVID 19 cases locally for 3 days in a row now, the virus has left China and moved on to your countries

The virus hasn't left China. That's not how things work. Lots of people (worldwide) have the virus and most of them have no symptoms, or slight symptoms. They can then (unknowingly) spread the virus to other people. Hence, quarantines.
TerryK and yorkboy24 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: