Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
I am hoping Marriott follows United, Delta, Hyatt, and others in extended status. I suspect they will wait until the last minute, because it won't really affect our travel plans whether they do it today or 2 months from now (assuming people are still not travelling into the early summer).
If they only do it 2 months from now, they will have permanently alienated anybody other than their "I stay at Marriott no matter what" members.

Marriott have a couple of weeks at most, before it becomes obvious that they are actively trying to avoid doing the right thing, rather than just analysing the situation...
NoY and GoldenItalianBoy like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If they only do it 2 months from now, they will have permanently alienated anybody other than their "I stay at Marriott no matter what" members.

Marriott have a couple of weeks at most, before it becomes obvious that they are actively trying to avoid doing the right thing, rather than just analysing the situation...
I agree - with the recent news of Hilton/Hyatt (from major hotel chains) to Delta/UA/Qantas/QR/Air New Zealand - extending status, I give Marriott till post Easter Holiday to announce it.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I think this is a fair point. On the other hand, if they ultimately do the right thing and extend status like everyone else, before all the "stay at home" orders are rescinded, I'm not sure it makes much difference. They currently look like an outlier, but I would imagine the average non-FT person would forget quickly as long as they make the announcement prior to travel returning to a more normal state.

At some point, it just makes more sense for them to announce it soon and get it over with though. I assume they're getting calls from people asking if they'll extend like everyone else. Take the burden off their employees, make a decision and communicate it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
It would be unbelievable if Marriott didn't take the same measure.
It is clear that most of us won't be able to travel till very late 2020 (if we are lucky!), because the virus situation is getting worse day by day in many countries (incl. USA, UK an so on).
I’m expecting to resume travel by late May or early June. The death rate will still be high then but new infections should be lower. Hopefully they also offer lower threshold like United (or faster qualification promotions) by that point as extending 2020 status doesn’t work for some.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Basically I'd be expecting a fair treatment globally, or at least across non-US countries, which were also impacted by COVID19 and do not have option to get extra 30 nights by credit card spend/sign-up. As they gave extra 12 months to Greater China... then now that should apply globally. Or if they don't want to.. They could send message to all Greater China members that "Sorry, 12 months extension was a hoax, you need to requalify like everyone else."
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Fims
Basically I'd be expecting a fair treatment globally, or at least across non-US countries, which were also impacted by COVID19 and do not have option to get extra 30 nights by credit card spend/sign-up. As they gave extra 12 months to Greater China... then now that should apply globally. Or if they don't want to.. They could send message to all Greater China members that "Sorry, 12 months extension was a hoax, you need to requalify like everyone else."
More likely, and in line with MAR current communication policy, just downgrade Greater China members at the end of the year without saying anything ... and when people inquire they say "...sorry but we changed policy one week ago...."
Fims likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
My approach with Marriott has moved into "wait and see". I'm inclined to move all my stays to Hyatt whenever possible. Frankly, Platinum hasn't meant anything since SPG ended anyways. If things change, I may come back. Otherwise, probably not. Hyatt has better properties, often better prices.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Given all that Marriott has already done to alienate members, I'm not sure delay in announcing the inevitable will have any additional material impact.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I don't think they have a choice now, Hyatt just copied Hilton in extending all status by a year which should put the pressure on a bit more.

I sure as hell am not about to start trying to re-earn Ambassador next year as a Gold / whatever I end up being if Marriott doesn't extend. Then again sometimes it feels a bit like Marriott would rather have a loyalty programme that is just a load of US credit card holders rather than people that actually stay in their hotels, so maybe that's what they want.
What's the point of AMB status if one no longer has an Ambassador?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the point of AMB status if one no longer has an Ambassador?
Who needs an ambassador right now, when you cannot travel anyways?

But coming back to the topic and following the mantra that everything has already been said, but not by everyone :
How hard is it for Marriott to do the right thing here? If it was okay to extend the status in Greater China, why not do the obvious and extend status for the rest of the world as well?
Fims likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Fims
Impact of Covid19 in Italy is now worse than China (if we compare official numbers of deaths, of course): I really hope that will be taken into consideration by Marriott, even if here we are just a few members....
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Impact of Covid19 in Italy is now worse than China (if we compare official numbers of deaths, of course): I really hope that will be taken into consideration by Marriott, even if here we are just a few members....
It's looking like the whole of Europe and North America is going to end up being more affected than China, making Marriott's current position a bit bizarre.

I think the issue is Marriott was originally working on a (typical, pretty short-sighted, slightly insular) assumption that this was a problem far away and wouldn't really affect the rest of their business materially. Therefore they obviously figured extending status for the relatively small number of status members in China was an easy decision and wouldn't affect the rest of the loyalty scheme much. Now they're faced with doing the same thing for all of Europe/Asia, or God forbid the US, it's a very different calculation. I have a feeling the management team in charge of Bonvoy wish they hadn't done this in China now.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I have a feeling the management team in charge of Bonvoy wish they hadn't done this in China now.
It doesn't matter. They'll have to match the competition. Same as AA will.
Fims, UA-NYC and JBord like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Apparently they extended by 12 months, but choice benefits still need to be earned.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Fair enough.
The 50 and 75 nights choices can become the benefit for people who manage to travel during this period and reach those nights the hard way

so in 2021 member could theoretically have 20 SNA in their account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.