Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost a hotel to give 5K points to a guest?

How much does it cost a hotel to give 5K points to a guest?

Old Mar 17, 20, 5:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 850
How much does it cost a hotel to give 5K points to a guest?

Long story short, my friend stayed at a Marriott in Thailand recently and had a service recovery offer of 5K points for the fact that their coffee machine was filthy. (You don’t want to know.)

She is wondering if she should take the 5K points or press for more.

That got me thinking, how much does it actually cost a hotel to issue 5K points to a guest? I assume the hotel actually has to pay Marriott to issue those points?
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Southwest A list
Posts: 11
That's a good question. I recently complained about a terrible stay at a certain Category 8 hotel. We got refunded 100,000 points, I wonder how much the hotel or company had to pay for that.
Ryansox is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:58 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,225
Other than curiosity, why does it matter? The value to the recipient seems much more important.
dunno282 and dgreen12 like this.
dayone is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:50 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Posts: 1,701
well under 1/2 cent per point
nachosdelux is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 218
Roughly, $40.
5,000 x .8 cents per point
pageboy is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:07 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SacTown, Cali
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by pageboy View Post
Roughly, $40.
5,000 x .8 cents per point
You really think they pay retail? That seems unlikely.
SacTownGuy is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:10 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 850
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy View Post
You really think they pay retail? That seems unlikely.
I assure you they don’t pay retail.

Probably around 0.3-0.4 cent per point is my guess
SacTownGuy likes this.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,561
Originally Posted by Ryansox View Post
That's a good question. I recently complained about a terrible stay at a certain Category 8 hotel. We got refunded 100,000 points, I wonder how much the hotel or company had to pay for that.
I will say that back in the SPG days if you contacted corporate to file a complaint here was a fine imposed to the offending hotel. I think there was a fine for having a customer open up a complaint against your hotel and then another fine if they found out that the hotel was aware of the issue and didn't fully resolve the legit complaint (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Those fines more than likely would be higher than what they'd have to pay to purchase those points to give to you.
Isochronous likes this.
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CHS
Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,216
I think it is $3 per 1000point
Hipplewm is online now  
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:39 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bounding Around The Good 'Ole USA In My Chevrolet
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
I will say that back in the SPG days if you contacted corporate to file a complaint here was a fine imposed to the offending hotel. I think there was a fine for having a customer open up a complaint against your hotel and then another fine if they found out that the hotel was aware of the issue and didn't fully resolve the legit complaint (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Those fines more than likely would be higher than what they'd have to pay to purchase those points to give to you.
Wrong wrong wrong. As a legacy spger I can tell you that hotels were never charged unless they did not respond to an issue from the Customer Care Center. I can also tell you that a Bonvoy point cots the hotel $0.0055. So there you go. Do the math.
hotelboy is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:13 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
Posts: 10,220
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
I can also tell you that a Bonvoy point cots the hotel $0.0055. So there you go. Do the math.
$5.50/1,000 pts. x 5 = $27.50 for 5,000 Bonv°y™ points.
Brendan likes this.
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,956
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
$5.50/1,000 pts. x 5 = $27.50 for 5,000 Bonv°y™ points.
Or 5,000 points x $0.0055 = $27.50
Why add an extra action?
Antarius likes this.
JBord is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 717
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
$5.50/1,000 pts. x 5 = $27.50 for 5,000 Bonv°y™ points.
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Or 5,000 points x $0.0055 = $27.50
Why add an extra action?
What if someone is trying to do the math in their home currency? How many steps would they need to do? Would they first change the cost per point to local or first do the math for the total cost and then convert?

Hint ... see the smiley face on my post.
JBord likes this.
cre95 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ORF
Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, IHG Spire, MR Gold
Posts: 1,861
Originally Posted by pageboy View Post
Roughly, $40.
5,000 x .8 cents per point
you believe TPG too much, that's funny
christianj likes this.
yuel is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:54 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,835
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
She is wondering if she should take the 5K points or press for more.
For a dirty coffee maker? She should apologize to staff for being such an annoying guest.
JBord likes this.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: