Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost a hotel to give 5K points to a guest?

How much does it cost a hotel to give 5K points to a guest?

Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Kacee
For a dirty coffee maker? She should apologize to staff for being such an annoying guest.
there’s a difference between dirty and filthy. I do hope you never would have to find out after the fact.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by JBord
Or 5,000 points x $0.0055 = $27.50
Why add an extra action?
Which probably buys a lot of coffee. Sounds like a fair compensation to me.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
there’s a difference between dirty and filthy. I do hope you never would have to find out after the fact.
Not really when it comes to food. It's either sanitary or it's not. Even if it's simply "dirty", I expect someone to clean it and in the meantime provide me with a sanitary cup of coffee, not pay me hundreds of dollars. The points are a bonus.

But I am genuinely interested in what dirty food you would consume (or be content with 5000 points), and where the line crosses over to filthy. As another poster mentioned, $27.50 buys a lot of replacement coffee...10x price in many places.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold
Not really when it comes to food. It's either sanitary or it's not. Even if it's simply "dirty", I expect someone to clean it and in the meantime provide me with a sanitary cup of coffee, not pay me hundreds of dollars. The points are a bonus.

But I am genuinely interested in what dirty food you would consume (or be content with 5000 points), and where the line crosses over to filthy. As another poster mentioned, $27.50 buys a lot of replacement coffee...10x price in many places.
Dirty water dogs are my go to lunch in NYC.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Dirty water dogs are my go to lunch in NYC.
THAT dirty water is pure flavor, provided by the thousands of dogs that have come before yours!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:32 pm

They are going to just give you a share of stock if you have any problems.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hotelboy
I can also tell you that a Bonvoy point costs the hotel $0.0055. So there you go. Do the math.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
$5.50/1,000 pts. x 5 = $27.50 for 5,000 Bonv°y™​​ points.
Or 5,000 points x $0.0055 = $27.50
Why add an extra action?
"Show your work."
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by yuel
you believe TPG too much, that's funny
WAY too much.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Even figuring the value for yourself (which is what really matters), .08 is a bit high. I would have guessed $20, so $27.50 sounds reasonable, and they're worth about $35 to the recipient.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

their coffee machine was filthy. (You don’t want to know.)

Yes we do.

Filthy could be subjective.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Yes we do.

Filthy could be subjective.

According to her, mould in the coffee machine (which is the typically drip coffee machine in hotel rooms).

I personally never use the in room drip machines as I’m a bit snob about my morning joe.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I like SPN Lifer's "$5.50/1,000 pts" because it's easier for the mathematically challenged to understand. I've seen way too many misplaced decimal points over the years! How many times have you seen a price written as " .25c" when it's obviously 25c ? If you tried to hand the clerk a penny to pay for four of them, s/he would look at you as if YOU were the idiot!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brendan
I like SPN Lifer's "$5.50/1,000 pts" because it's easier for the mathematically challenged to understand. I've seen way too many misplaced decimal points over the years! How many times have you seen a price written as " .25c" when it's obviously 25c ? If you tried to hand the clerk a penny to pay for four of them, s/he would look at you as if YOU were the idiot!
I would buy one, give them a penny and ask for "three quarters" back.....

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.