Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Instagram Influencer Claims They Are "Stranded" at the JW Maldives Due to COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instagram Influencer Claims They Are "Stranded" at the JW Maldives Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tanic
I feel about as bad for pilotmadeleine as I do for Olivia Jade and her soon to be imprisoned parents.
Her bio talks about finishing airplane pilot school and being unable to get a GOOD pilot job at an airline. Lots of pilots get experience in less than *good* jobs at the beginning of their careers, as do new entrants into a variety of other careers. Think of the beginning pilots in the BBC documentary series "The Worst Place to Be a Pilot" about Susi Air in Indonesia or even all of the young pilots in the USA who start by building hours on RJs working for airlines like SkyWest, Endeavor, Republic, American Eagle, etc. It's long hours for not a lot of money doing milk runs that are hardly glamorous, but it's still flying commercial passenger planes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
And here we all still are. Five pages in. Continuing to give her the oxygen of publicity that she so desperately craves to survive.

Despite an entire career in traditional and digital media, I'm glad that I am racing towards retirement and will no longer have to engage professionally with the kind of people who self-identify as influencers or their industry counterparts the KOLs. I remember one at the Aloft Taipei, an unremarkable hotel with an unremarkable small buffet breakfast, taking photos *with a digital camera* of every dish in the buffet and spending the meal studiously selecting the best shots and transferring them to her phone. She looked like a heroin-chic throwback to the 1990s. It was the ignored boyfriend I felt sorry for.

I have officially transformed into a Grumpy Old Man.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftrichard
And here we all still are. Five pages in. Continuing to give her the oxygen of publicity that she so desperately craves to survive.

Despite an entire career in traditional and digital media, I'm glad that I am racing towards retirement and will no longer have to engage professionally with the kind of people who self-identify as influencers or their industry counterparts the KOLs. I remember one at the Aloft Taipei, an unremarkable hotel with an unremarkable small buffet breakfast, taking photos *with a digital camera* of every dish in the buffet and spending the meal studiously selecting the best shots and transferring them to her phone. She looked like a heroin-chic throwback to the 1990s. It was the ignored boyfriend I felt sorry for.

I have officially transformed into a Grumpy Old Man.
Doesn't seem that different from a professional photographer that scans through hundreds of photos (if not thousands) to pick the select few that are publish quality.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I think it's more likely that she is getting N2 rather than O2 from FTers. Just don't inhale too deeply dear...
ftrichard likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Doesn't seem that different from a professional photographer that scans through hundreds of photos (if not thousands) to pick the select few that are publish quality.
You were there too? I was referring to the focus on photographing unextraordinary buffet food, the absence of engagement with her dining companion, and the sucked-in-cheeks 1990s heroin-chic look that appears so popular with Instagram influencers. But whatever. (And I don't consider "influencers" to be professional photographers.)
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:05 am

Looks like she stayed at multiple Maldives hotels during her trip. Guessing they were all comped?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I note the article on Flyertalk.com reporting her claims as fact - which at least is less irresponsible and damaging than some of the misinformation the site has been spreading about Coronavirus in its editorial articles.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I note the article on Flyertalk.com reporting her claims as fact - which at least is less irresponsible and damaging than some of the misinformation the site has been spreading about Coronavirus in its editorial articles.
What do you expect from FlyerTalk? Their sensationalism and lack of professional journalism is why industry insiders don’t trust anything they say.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Every now and then I get a reminder of the primary demographic of FT
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Top kek at all the jealousy going around. Just because none of us are good looking enough (unfortunately) to be a model...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.