Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Instagram Influencer Claims They Are "Stranded" at the JW Maldives Due to COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instagram Influencer Claims They Are "Stranded" at the JW Maldives Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:48 am

any more bikini pics ?
zip10001 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
To the OP - why would you even know about this person? And why should anyone know about her?
My wife pointed it out to me. We had booked a trip to stay there in October, but the resort had a delayed opening. The GM wrote us several times and ended up putting us up in an OWV at the St. Regis. I sent him a few screenshots of her claims that she was stranded and being given 14 days free nights at the resort from the local government due to virus shutting down flights. He wrote back and seemed highly embarrassed saying none of the things she is saying were true and that he was going to send his team to speak with her. She has since altered her post to remove the false information, but is still claiming in her Instagram stories that the government is blocking inter-island traffic.

BTW I'm not even commenting on their decision to travel to the Maldives less than two weeks ago with a toddler. Seems they created an Instagram account for the child and and it was probably worth it for the content!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:50 am
Community Director Emerita

She has now posted that they will be leaving:

New update about our situation:
The Maldives government has still locked down all inner-island flights ✈️ but guests not under quarantine get to fly home to their countries 🙈 So unfortunately that means we are not „stuck“ in paradise anymore & fly home in 3 days.
It‘s bit of a pity because we originally planned (before corona even existed) to stay in the Maldives at least until end of the month 😩 But most people around the world had to cancel or change their travel plans so it is absolutely fine we have to do so as well ☺️
Hence, we‘re fully enjoying our last 3 days here in paradise @jwmmaldives before we are immediately put under 14 day quarantine 😷 upon arrival in Malta 🇲🇹 Apparently we are not even allowed to leave our apartment to get groceries, Malta is a small island with huge supply problems at the moment, so let’s see how that‘s gonna be 🙈 I will keep you updated ❤️
Until then I hope some last tropical vibes will brighten up your day 🤗
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Note to self, my trip to the JW in three weeks, bring it on! I mean I spent 385k (or so) points for 5 nights, would be good to get another two weeks for free . Better than self-quarantine in Hong Kong (or even my overnight stopover of the Male Hotel Jen...)

(crossed fingers that the Maldives doesn't ban my travel; the seaplane still goes; SQ doesn't stop the flights; SQ doesn't declare bankruptcy; the world doesn't end)
You need to knock on wood really hard.

Coronavirus: Hong Kong considers ramping up travel restrictions and placing all arrivals in quarantine to tackle wave of imported cases

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...quarantine-all
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
She's an idiot looking for views. I was in the maldives last week, so have been watching the news there VERY closely. We had been jokingly hoping to get quarrantined there, but alas, did not.

The maldives has blocked inter-island travel, meaning, you can go to the airport, to your resort, and back to the airport. You cannot resort hop or go to other islands. The ONLY resorts locked down have been those with positive cases or cases they're testing, and the JW isn't one of them.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The Covid-19 induced collapse will hammer the real economy, but it is going to vaporise the virtual economy surrounding these Insta influencers and travel bloggers referral bonus marketers. Maybe we can crowdfund them so they can make it through these difficult times?
KRSW and hoipolloi like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
She's an idiot looking for views. I was in the maldives last week, so have been watching the news there VERY closely. We had been jokingly hoping to get quarrantined there, but alas, did not.

The maldives has blocked inter-island travel, meaning, you can go to the airport, to your resort, and back to the airport. You cannot resort hop or go to other islands. The ONLY resorts locked down have been those with positive cases or cases they're testing, and the JW isn't one of them.
Absolutely correct. There is no travel block from the resort to the airport. Yes some resorts were quarantined because some tested positive.
Anyone can fly to the Maldives from the countries that have not been blocked and anyone can leave the Maldives too. The airport is operating and so are the inter resorts and airport transfers.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
She has now posted that they will be leaving:
What's going on is that she's trying to hop between resorts as she has paid partnerships with different hotels and it appears that the local government is restricting guests from moving from resort to resort. So by "stranded" she means that she can't visit other resorts. She also stated that the Maldives government was covering her 14 night stay because of the travel restrictions, which is a complete fabrication. It seems this influencer made the decision to travel to the Maldives with her toddler (who she has created an Instagram account for as well). Doesn't seem to be the wisest decision taking all that is going on and the fact that they've been staying in multiple overwater villas.
SanDiego1K and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’d love to know what airline she’s a commercial pilot for!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’d love to know what airline she’s a commercial pilot for!
Google is your friend. Yea... she doesn't do a lot of "piloting"

https://www.insider.com/instagram-pi...deleine-2017-8

Regards
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
The Covid-19 induced collapse will hammer the real economy, but it is going to vaporise the virtual economy surrounding these Insta influencers and travel bloggers referral bonus marketers. Maybe we can crowdfund them so they can make it through these difficult times?
I really don't understand the market. Are people stupid enough to follow the influences and want to stay at the same hotels they stay at the same people who can drop thousands of dollars a night on OWVs in the Maldives?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scubadu
Google is your friend. Yea... she doesn't do a lot of "piloting"

https://www.insider.com/instagram-pi...deleine-2017-8

Regards
Riiiight, ok then. And with this silly blog unlikely to ever get the chance...
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
This whole Instagram influenced business is downright pathetic.

Mostly people who don’t want to actually work, either because they are too lazy or too stupid or both.

At least we earn our keep—and getting some points on work travel.
LondonElite, cruisr and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
This whole Instagram influenced business is downright pathetic.

Mostly people who don’t want to actually work, either because they are too lazy or too stupid or both.

At least we earn our keep—and getting some points on work travel.
To be fair they make a lot of money and I get the ROI form companies for celebrities, but the math doesn't add up for people who can't even make the Z list
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dn10
I really don't understand the market. Are people stupid enough to follow the influences and want to stay at the same hotels they stay at the same people who can drop thousands of dollars a night on OWVs in the Maldives?
If you are asking if these influencers actually have influence I have no idea, but I can imagine that there is a subset of young travelers that look at geotagged images on Instagram of a hotel before they read any reviews on a site like Tripadvisor. Scroll through a resort like St. Regis and you'll find countless people imitating photos posted by influencers (dragging the bed's comforter on to the hammock style netting on the deck of their over water villa).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.