Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott walks back Category increases in SE Asia, almost all hotels at "Low" season

Marriott walks back Category increases in SE Asia, almost all hotels at "Low" season

Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

It appears that Marriott has quietly walked back category increases in much of SE Asia. All hotels that had an increase (e.g., Marriott Hua Hin, JW Phu Quoc, CY Sha Tin) are back at their pre-devaluation category. I also seem to recall that some of the Gold Coast properties and 4P AKL went up; they are also back at their prior category. This does not appear to apply to Japan and Taiwan, where e.g., Westin Kyoto and the Taipei Courtyards remain at the higher new category. All the hotels that went down to a lower category appear to remain at that category.

In addition, almost all hotels in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and HK are showing "Low" season rates for the coming months, for pretty much every day. This doesn't see to apply to Australia/NZ.

There's a lot of whining about Marriott, some deserved, some not, but this move gets a from me.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks Hyatt for being a leader in this regard and for showing others how it's done!
Happy, lsquare and joakgarp like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:37 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks Hyatt for being a leader in this regard and for showing others how it's done!
I'm sorry? Is this missing some sort of irony emoji? Hyatt just cancelled its category change (except for a handful of hotels) and move to high/med/low seasons. IOW, Marriott is FAR more customer friendly in this case:

(a) Marriott hotels that moved to a lower category in early March remain at the lower category.
(b) Marriott hotels that moved to a higher category in early March moved back to the original lower category.
(c) For the next few months, almost all Marriott hotels (in SE Asia) are showing low season rates pretty much every day.

With Hyatt? Category adjustment called off (including hotels that were slated to go down), and no low season pricing during the crisis.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
This is excellent. Thanks for highlighting. I may book a return to the JW Phu Quoc for later in the year now.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:40 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm sorry? Is this missing some sort of irony emoji? Hyatt just cancelled its category change (except for a handful of hotels) and move to high/med/low seasons. IOW, Marriott is FAR more customer friendly in this case:

(a) Marriott hotels that moved to a lower category in early March remain at the lower category.
(b) Marriott hotels that moved to a higher category in early March moved back to the original lower category.
(c) For the next few months, almost all Marriott hotels (in SE Asia) are showing low season rates pretty much every day.

With Hyatt? Category adjustment called off (including hotels that were slated to go down), and no low season pricing during the crisis.
Why? Because Hyatt cancelled the annual category changes for all regions, not just APAC. Also, the peak/off-peak is cancelled too.

Marriott? It is wait and see approach. Its changes are only piecemeal. Its change fee is waived for only to 4/30/2020. The FN and TP are extended only to 1/31/2021. Also, its annual category changes are implemented for most other regions outside APAC. If I booked a summer trip with my FN or TP outside APAC, I would not be able to use them for the fall since the hotels have gone up in points.....

No impact with Hyatt point booking. I can still change or cancel the booking and rebook with the same points or FN at the same properties.

Hyatt thumb up, Marriott thumb down. Clearly.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm missing the irony. There were at least a dozen Hyatt hotels dropping a category that I was excited about. In exchange for a bunch of SLH hotels going from really expensive to really really expensive...

I can see the "why" behind not changing anything at this time. I just don't see people being thrilled about Hyatt postponing the changes. They were already balanced...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Peak/off-peak, even if "balanced", is a net win for the hotels as you have people paying more points in high demand times more than offsetting fewer points in low demand times. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart...

In aggregate - it's a win for "consumers" for these to be held off as long as possible.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Regardless of who did it first, better or with the most altruistic motives this is a positive development from Marriott and I"ll take it.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Booked RC Kyoto 5 nights EOM at 280k points, cash rate over 1M yen for the 5 nights. The flood of off-peak pricing is blessed. Only time in history you can just go see cherry blossoms in Kyoto on last minute first class award flights, last minute point bookings at top tier properties.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Only time in history you can just go see cherry blossoms in Kyoto on last minute first class award flights, last minute point bookings at top tier properties.
You could do that before the blogs, and without risk of quarantine
Happy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Booked RC Kyoto 5 nights EOM at 280k points, cash rate over 1M yen for the 5 nights. The flood of off-peak pricing is blessed. Only time in history you can just go see cherry blossoms in Kyoto on last minute first class award flights, last minute point bookings at top tier properties.
Doing the exact same thing. Flight is in about 10 days.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no change in Japan and more hotels than before now at PEAK pricing. And that is for early May. Well ...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
You could do that before the blogs, and without risk of quarantine
Well GRANDPA, some of us weren't around in the ancient pre-blog days.

I kid. I can't even imagine how easy it must have been to get business awards in a pre-TPG world.
Originally Posted by honghong322
Doing the exact same thing. Flight is in about 10 days.
Hope you have a blast!
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
What surprises me is that Marriott didn't even bother sending out an email to take credit for this adjustment. They could really use some positive publicity for a change. Who is running the marketing department over there? Maybe no one?
lsquare, ryw and UA-NYC like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Some of the posts above are just puzzling to me. Even if those APAC hotels drop in categories, I still would not want to venture out there transiting at the airports with some strangers who may carry the virus. Then I'm certain we'll face the quarantine when we fly back. The risk is just not worth taking, regardless of the price or points.

The same with the people complaining about Hyatt cancelling the annual category changes. You just can never get people happy about anything.

As to why Marriott did not disclose this APAC rate roll back in the pubilc? Because guests think Marriott should roll back the category change for all the regions, not just the APAC. Marriott still wants to take the chance of a quick recovery and still want to keep the higher rates from the annual category changes. But I think this wishful thinking. Year 2020 may be a losing cause. Marriott should just rewind or roll back the rate changes, and extend everything for another year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.