Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Aberlet
Now I'm just LMAO!! It’s obvious which replies are formulated by Marriott staffers in disguise or those paid by Marriott trolling flyertalk forums to reply to such posts to diffuse a single issue from snowballing into something greater by focusing on the fine print and mocking the original poster rather than addressing the bigger picture. Unless policies are changed to more align with industry standards like Hilton (who allows cancellation up to 6pm the day of first night’s stay and has only a one night penalty for a no show) and Hyatt just to mention two, the outcome is the same, I will take my 100+ personal night stays each year and my 4 corporate meetings each year to another hotel brand. In addition, I will take to media outlets to warn other potential guests of Marriott’s policies.

Why does a hotel have a 30-day cancellation policy in peak season where rooms are booked out months in advance? Cancellations are a benefit to Hotels that are sold out who can now charge more for a last-minute guest. Where is your integrity and morality Marriott? I stick by my original statement, greed!

Signing off from flyertalk as this forum is only about damage control for industry and it’s representatives.
i think it is time for a dislike button.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Now I'm just LMAO!! It’s obvious which replies are formulated by Marriott staffers in disguise or those paid by Marriott trolling flyertalk forums to reply to such posts to diffuse a single issue from snowballing into something greater by focusing on the fine print and mocking the original poster rather than addressing the bigger picture. Unless policies are changed to more align with industry standards like Hilton (who allows cancellation up to 6pm the day of first night’s stay and has only a one night penalty for a no show) and Hyatt just to mention two, the outcome is the same, I will take my 100+ personal night stays each year and my 4 corporate meetings each year to another hotel brand. In addition, I will take to media outlets to warn other potential guests of Marriott’s policies.

Why does a hotel have a 30-day cancellation policy in peak season where rooms are booked out months in advance? Cancellations are a benefit to Hotels that are sold out who can now charge more for a last-minute guest. Where is your integrity and morality Marriott? I stick by my original statement, greed!

Signing off from flyertalk as this forum is only about damage control for industry and it’s representatives.
Goodbye cruel hotel chain.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Lmao who is going to book the room in Snowmass Village, Denver that you cancelled one day before arrival? That would be guaranteed loss of revenue.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Why does a hotel have a 30-day cancellation policy in peak season where rooms are booked out months in advance?
I don’t work for Marriott, but, I’m glad you figured it out.
dgreen12, SPN Lifer and nequine like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Darn, I have been outed. Seriously, even if you don't like the responses you received to your post, it doesn't mean we all work for Marriott and/or are their shills. If you take the time to look at posts outside of this thread from some of the members who responded to your post, you will see many of us are critical of Marriott. This just isn't one of those times. Happy Trails and I hope you have good experiences wherever you decide to stay in the future.

--Jon
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:35 pm

. Unless policies are changed to more align with industry standards like Hilton (who allows cancellation up to 6pm the day of first night’s stay and has only a one night penalty for a no show) and Hyatt just to mention two, the outcome is the same, I will take my 100+ personal night stays each year and my 4 corporate meetings each year to another hotel brand.
Would say that is an incorrect assessment as like with Marriot has varying cancellation periods, hilton also has some hotels, usually resorts that also have 30 day cancellation
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If the OP quit his/her job in mid-December but waited until January to cancel a trip for a former employer, who's fault is that exactly?
Newman and fmastr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
In early ​​​December 2019, I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Snowmass to attend a corporate function the second week of January 2020. I joined a new organization mid-December and therefore cancelled my reservation two weeks prior to my first night’s​​​ stay . . . . ​​​​​​
Originally Posted by catocony
If the OP quit his/her job in mid-December but waited until [late December] to cancel a trip for a former employer, [whose] fault is that exactly?
Res ipsa loquitur.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Yawn.... Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Marriott but rather the individual hotels policy. But, continue your rage with Marriott if it makes you feel better.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC

Not sure where you are getting your information from. Just checked the cancellation policy at Grand Hyatt at Vail.

Looks like it's the same as Marriott's 30 day policy.
Get outta here with that BS.

YOU DONE MESSED UP A-A-RON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newman likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, I'm Arne in disguise

Marriott deserves a lot of criticism but not in the OPs case. Pigs are flying - I actually agree w Hotelboy for once. OMG 😬

Actually, I wouldn't mind buying a stake in Marriott and cleaning out the house. Maybe I'll convince the Board and major stakeholders to appoint me Arne's replacement
UA-NYC and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Darn, I have been outed. Seriously, even if you don't like the responses you received to your post, it doesn't mean we all work for Marriott and/or are their shills. If you take the time to look at posts outside of this thread from some of the members who responded to your post, you will see many of us are critical of Marriott. This just isn't one of those times. Happy Trails and I hope you have good experiences wherever you decide to stay in the future.

--Jon
So true and so cliche; how many hundreds of posts have we seen where OP posts their outrage about some "greedy" policy/charge by the hotel/airline (that was actually fully disclosed at time of booking), finds out that they are COMPLETELY wrong and then decries all counter posts as posts by vendor employees. OP, please find a better exit strategy next time.
Newman likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold

Wow. Just wow.

I have sided with Marriott on this one. Oh wait a second, I just realized that I am Arne Sorenson in disguise (Saying this while taking the mask off and ending with an evil laugh).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Ground Hog Day, The Sequel. We're all Arne Sorenson coming up with new and more evil ways to fleece the hotel guests out of more money, devalue their MR points to totally worthless, and ensure elite members get the worst rooms with the garbage dump view over the loudest mechanical systems in the hotel. The ghost of Bill Marriott comes to haunt us about our ways.....

--Jon
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold
I wonder if the OP unsubscribed from the email updates of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.