FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   How does MAGC work for long stays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2012832-how-does-magc-work-long-stays.html)

carrotjuice Mar 13, 2020 11:56 pm

How does MAGC work for long stays?

I have a long stay (20+ nights) at a Marriott property in one reservation.

The app says I can earn 250 points for every night that I decline housekeeping up to 2 consecutive nights.

Does it mean that the maximum I can earn is 500 points = capped at 2 nights even though I may opt for no housekeeping for more than just 2 nights?

Or does it mean I can opt for 2 consecutive nights without housekeeping thus earn 500 points, then allow housekeeping for 1 night, then opt for no housekeeping again for 2 further nights - rinse and repeat?

The terms aren’t so clear...

Jon Maiman Mar 14, 2020 7:40 am

To be certain you need to ask the property. Logically, I think for every three nights of your stay you could earn 500 points. E.g. 250 points/night for two nights, 0 points the next night when your room is cleaned by housekeeping, and wash, rinse. repeat through your stay. Since 20 nights isn't an even multiple of 3, you may only get 250 points the last cycle rather than 500 since they still will need to clean your room after you check out. 6*500 + 250 = 3250 points by my calculations. Again you need to ask the property to see what they will actually do. Good Luck!

--Jon

craigthemif Mar 14, 2020 8:43 am

One thing to keep in mind is that you might be declining housekeeping 2 days out of 3, but never get the bonus points.

I used to love to SPG version, but it has never worked for me once post integration...

hhoope01 Mar 14, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 32183539)
I used to love to SPG version, but it has never worked for me once post integration...

While I have to agree that I rarely get the MAGC points automatically, virtually every time I have called in to get it fixed, I get more points than would have received otherwise.

3rdworldresident Mar 14, 2020 11:35 am

Since the merger, I didn't participate in MAGC anymore (easily a 67% devaluation from SPG version for full serice hotel).

Bravada04 Mar 14, 2020 12:38 pm

I have probably lost so many points since the merger as MAR has been known to mess this up on numerous occasions. My fault though because I don't have the time to scour my points everyday since they are not as easy to glance over from the SPG days.

dunno282 Mar 14, 2020 2:28 pm

I stayed a year at the Renaissance Dallas last year doing 30 day stays. I left my MAGC card on the door the entire time. They usually come in once a week to clean the room. I always had to call in after I get my 30 day stay bill to get my MAGC points posted. The rep usually asks me how many days and I tell them 30. Fairly painless process besides the calling in part.

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2020 2:37 pm

IF you have a longterm rate, a negotiated rate, or are at an extended stay brand, you may not be entitled to daily housekeeping service. In such cases, MAGC would not apply and you can't earn extra points this way.

paolo64 Mar 14, 2020 4:35 pm

I know we tend to look back at SPG through rose-coloured glasses ( myself included), but it never worked all that well...often points failed to post. Under Marriott things are no worse ( other than the devaluation); but missing points issues are quickly resolved.
I never use housekeeping service, other than the mandated minimum , regardless of MAGC participation. The first thing I do on arrival is hang a DND sign.

CPRich Mar 14, 2020 7:22 pm

I rarely had SPG issues, but that's not really the topic/question asked here.

In practice, the requirement is typically that you have housekeeping service every third night. So in groups of three nights you get 250, 250, 0 points, rinse and repeat. You can't skip housekeeping on your last night, so for a 20 night stay you would receive 500 points each for 6 sets of 3 nights, 250 for the 19th night, and nothing for the last night, or 3,250 points.

Jon Maiman Mar 14, 2020 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32186266)
I rarely had SPG issues, but that's nott really the topic/question asked here.

In practice, the requirement is typically that you have housekeeping service every third night. So in groups of three nights you get 250, 250, 0 points, rinse and repeat. You can't skip housekeeping on your last night, so for a 20 night stay you would receive 500 points each for 6 sets of 3 nights, 250 for the 19th night, and nothing for the last night, or 3,250 points.

Our calculations agree. So they must be correct :cool:

--Jon

Out of my Element Mar 15, 2020 5:33 am

I haven't MAGC'd since the huge devaluation. SPG points were worth so much more than Bonvoy points, it's not worth the $2/day to fight for the points.

dayone Mar 15, 2020 12:53 pm

A Sheraton Front Desk Supervisor explained that the policy is a guest can earn two days of Green Choice, then one day is skipped for assumed service, then earn another two days of GC, and so on. Of course, the reality can be anything the hotel or Bonvoy CS want it to be.

LoganFlyer Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm

I've done MAGC for 3 (now 2) nights/skip a night/MAGC for 3(2) nights cycle in a single stay many times, and have always gotten the full number of points for the nights I skipped housekeeping. Sometimes it required a call, but I've always gotten the full number of points.