Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Temporary closure/restriction of LOUNGES, RESTAURANTS & FACILITIES due to Covid-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Temporary closure/restriction of LOUNGES, RESTAURANTS & FACILITIES due to Covid-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver

Club lounge was supposed to serve appetizers at 5:00 PM. At 5:30 PM there was still no service so I went down to the front desk. They informed me that as of today Marriott directed them to no longer serve food in the club lounge. There was no alternative free appetizers in the restaurant offered, just a very polite “I’m sorry”. They did indicate breakfast would be available in the restaurant.
pittovt likes this.

Last edited by djkyyc; Mar 11, 2020 at 5:14 am
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Thanks for the update! Was this in the US?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svo242
Thanks for the update! Was this in the US?
Yes, In San Diego.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Lounge was open at the Long Beach Marriott tonight.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Why just Sheraton, and not Marriott too?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:26 pm

Very poor that you had to ask at reception rather than be told directly...
jaejaez, buschoi, Rd3 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paolo64
Very poor that you had to ask at reception rather than be told directly...
They finally put a sign up on the lounge door.

Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Yikes. Does this mean that breakfast is going to be provided in the restaurant then?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:31 pm

Thank you, knowing this I’m inclined to save some $$$ staying at a Fairfield inn or courtyard instead of booking a Sheraton or Marriott because if lounge access.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Why just Sheraton, and not Marriott too?
Just a guess, but I'm thinking the thread title is missing a few key words: [A] Sheraton [hotel] says Marriott [Corporate] has ordered all club lounges temporarily closed.

In the past, we've seen occasions on FlyerTalk where hotel staff gets confused about the term "corporate office." Most hotels are franchises. Many franchise hotels are owned by companies (aka corporations) with multiple locations. In that scenario, decisions made by the company that owns the hotel come from the "corporate office." If the hotel staff aren't fully aware of the way the hospitality industry is structured, they may mistakenly assume that directives from the hotel's corporate office is the same as the chain's corporate office.

Until more is known, I'd be cautious about assuming that this is a chain-wide directive.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Mar 10, 2020 at 10:33 pm Reason: Added second thought.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:44 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
No Breakfast today, but we had amazing fried chicken, string beans, cornbread, and salad today in our US based lounge for dinner, let's see if they get the message tomorrow.

No question occupancy is down, parking lot is empty, traffic is weekend like on rush hour, happy times if it wasn't for this pesky COVID19 thing.

In the lounge they had chicken nuggets / fries yesterday and half the crowd was eating with their fingers, and the same with the fried chicken today. No handsantizers in the lounge but plenty in the lobby and lobby restaurant, I mentioned that to them yesterday, no action, but not a surprise is it ?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
In the past, we've seen occasions on FlyerTalk where hotel staff gets confused about the term "corporate office." Most hotels are franchises. Many franchise hotels are owned by companies (aka corporations) with multiple locations. In that scenario, decisions made by the company that owns the hotel come from the "corporate office." If the hotel staff aren't fully aware of the way the hospitality industry is structured, they may mistakenly assume that directives from the hotel's corporate office is the same as the chain's corporate office.
It's also easier just to blame "Marriott" for an unpopular benefit reduction - seems particularly prevalent at former SPG properties .

Regardless, I have to say that shutting down buffets is probably a good idea purely from a public health perspective.
EdV, writerguyfl and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:45 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They should provide vouchers instead...
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by estedman
Lounge was open at the Long Beach Marriott tonight.
Just had breakfast in the Sheraton Tribeca New York lounge.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
They should provide vouchers instead...
Unfortunately for Sheraton, Le Meridien, and Westin properties when the club lounge is closed, there is no alternative offered unlike other brands that offers Breakfast for 2 or 750 Points per day.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.