Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

F&B credit can’t be used towards breakfast the following morning ?

Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Plat

This is a first for me: I am at the Courtyard Hamburg City and was told my F&B credit welcome amenity could not be applied towards breakfast. I never heard about a limitation like that before and only ever used my F&B credits for breakfast at other courtyards before. Is that a new thing?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Others have reported this previously. Seems to be a Courtyard thing from reading the forum?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:31 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Although it is done it shouldn’t be. Properties explain this as a credit awarded at date of checkin that expires when the nightly reconciliations are complete. Hence on a one night stay it can’t be used towards breakfast at all, on a 2-night stay you can use it towards breakfast once, 3-night twice, and so on. This is completely contrary to Marriott policy as I was advised by the Marriott Insiders communitymanagers after the Moxy London Excel tried it on with me.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Might be a Europe thing. I use the F&B credit at US Courtyards all the time without issue.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by seat38a
Might be a Europe thing. I use the F&B credit at US Courtyards all the time without issue.
I think it’s isolated properties rather than a regional or brand thing, I’ve seen these complaints stateside as well as internationally, although they’re far rarer now than they were at introduction 18-months ago! Certainly I’ve never experienced this problem at Courtyards either here in Europe or Stateside, just that one Moxy in London.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I think it’s isolated properties rather than a regional or brand thing, I’ve seen these complaints stateside as well as internationally, although they’re far rarer now than they were at introduction 18-months ago! Certainly I’ve never experienced this problem at Courtyards either here in Europe or Stateside, just that one Moxy in London.
US Courtyards have the Bistro setup. Not allowing at Breakfast is essentially saying you can't use your Food and Beverage on any "Food and Beverage." Even during the SPG days there were variations outside the US with the the drink vouchers for welcome gift. US properties were anything you wanted up to the dollar value on the certs while in South America, it was beer and wine only or Pisco Sour and Peruvian Beer only in Peru even though the same certs specifcally said you can get whatever you wanted up to a dollar amount. Some Courtyards outside of the US still have breakfast buffets and full service restaurants so I guess its a bit different.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:12 am
In memoriam

Yes, during my stays in the US I have encountered the Bistro breakfast which actually I quite like as a cooked to order breakfast as opposed to a warm-ish buffet! The Courtyards I’ve stayed at here in Britain are buffet breakfast, comparable to Marriott/Renaissance/Sheraton etc whereas the Moxy breaksfast is a cold buffet with scrambled eggs. However the $10 doesn’t cover the CY breakfast either here or in the US whereas the credit does cover the Moxy...
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
All hot Bistro food is microwaved/toasted as they don't have kitchens anymore.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by catocony
Yuck!

I usually grab the Clif Bars since that's one of the healthiest options they have.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bubbelbine
This is a first for me: I am at the Courtyard Hamburg City and was told my F&B credit welcome amenity could not be applied towards breakfast. I never heard about a limitation like that before and only ever used my F&B credits for breakfast at other courtyards before. Is that a new thing?
Courtyard's daily $10 USD F&B credit for member +1 does not accrue. In other words, you cannot save your credits on a 2-night stay and use both for breakfast the second morning of your stay.

However, you can absolutely apply the daily credit to daily breakfast.

Shame on the Courtyard Hamburg City for its failure to provide this published Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite (and above).

Marriott Bonvoy needs a good way to report rogue properties that act is if the published Marriott Bonvoy Term & Conditions do not apply to them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Although it is done it shouldn’t be. Properties explain this as a credit awarded at date of checkin that expires when the nightly reconciliations are complete. Hence on a one night stay it can’t be used towards breakfast at all, on a 2-night stay you can use it towards breakfast once, 3-night twice, and so on. This is completely contrary to Marriott policy as I was advised by the Marriott Insiders communitymanagers after the Moxy London Excel tried it on with me.
Courtyard Waikiki does the same thing.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I always take the points at CYs. My choice seems to be validated more every thread.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Even though I am not a fan of US Courtyard Bistro Breakfast, when I have had it, the eggs appear to be freshly made and decent. Real toast as well. Bacon could be microwave. Anyway, I wonder what kitchen facilities they actually have with the current CY design. If the eggs are microwave, that is pretty impressive. General rule of US CY Bistro Food, very overpriced and usually mediocre at best.

--Jon
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by catocony
Not been my experience

"Properties explain this as a credit awarded at date of checkin that expires when the nightly reconciliations are complete."

​​​​​​What exactly is stopping them from telling Elite guest "Let us know if you have had breakfast and we will take it off the bill at checkout"?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
The last Courtyard Bistro breakfast I had was in Sedona and the food definitely seemed fresher than normal buffet fare. I was also able to use my $10 F&B credit to offset the cost of breakfast.

Last edited by AndWhatsYourPoint; Mar 5, 2020 at 9:21 pm Reason: Changed Sonoma to Sedona

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.