Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why The Penthouse Suite In A Residence Inn Is Obsolete

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why The Penthouse Suite In A Residence Inn Is Obsolete

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:37 am

Are there degrees of obsoleteness? I'm on board with the notion that these bi-level rooms/suites are obsolete to the point where no new hotels will include them.

However, given the fact that they still exist in a variety of types of hotels, they don't appear to be obsolete to the point where they don't sell (or don't appear to sufficiently anger guests who get "upgraded" into them).

For example, the Marriott City Center Minneapolis has a Bi-Level Sky Loft. That hotel has been renovated multiple times since I used to work at the hotel across the street. Had those rooms been a problem to sell, they could have done something to re-work them.

I couldn't find any good pictures. Here's the downstairs from Trip Advisor:

Image Courtesy a Trip Advisor Reviewer: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Minnesota.html
Link to Marriott City Center Minneapolis Rooms Page: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...t-city-center/
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:24 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Back in the 90s, my kids loved sleeping on the murphy bed in a penthouse suite (it was a novelty to them). But I will admit it has been decades since I last stayed in one.
That's cool.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Yes, your description is more accurate. There was a bed in a small area on a higher level that was reachable through some interior stairs. I did not consider that a second floor because it was so small. I don't even remember whether it had space for anything else other than one bed. It did overlook the living room. There was no door between the two level, nor between the bedroom and living room, and therefore no privacy.
At least the bathroom offers privacy.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
The upstairs loft has a king bed (sometimes two single or double beds), a closet, and a full bathroom. Yes, the loft overlooks the living room, and the interior stairs do not have a door.

The downstairs bedroom sometimes has a real bed and french doors for more privacy. Sometimes, it's furnished with a desk and a murphy bed, so it's more of an office that converts to bedroom when necessary.

When we used to vacation with our kids, the Penthouse Suites were wonderful — much better than traditional hotel rooms.

The percentage of Residence Inns with the old format has been decreasing since the format changed in the mid-1990s and the brand has continued to expand its footprint. Also, as owner of these older properties choose to rebrand, the number of them decreases. But I disagree with the OP's assertion that "they no longer meet brand standards and guest expectations." They continue to be part of the brands. Marriott is not kicking them out. And the Marriott website clearly shows which properties have the old Penthouse Suites. The standards changed for new new-builds, but the older properties still meet Marriott's brand standards if they properly maintained.
Interesting piece of info.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
There's a bunch of these still around. Buffalo-Amherst, NY, for one. Not that great when there's a foot of snow on the ground and you're going for breakfast in a separate building or toting luggage to your car.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I’ve stayed at several of these, most recently in Greenwood Village, CO.

Personally, I really like the layout.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1120
I’ve stayed at several of these, most recently in Greenwood Village, CO.

Personally, I really like the layout.
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
There's a bunch of these still around. Buffalo-Amherst, NY, for one. Not that great when there's a foot of snow on the ground and you're going for breakfast in a separate building or toting luggage to your car.
Interesting.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Like others, in recent years, I've really enjoyed staying in the newer Residence Inns, which have generally been really nicely furnished.

However, in pandemic times, these older RIs actually have a distinct advantage in that each unit has its own individual, exterior entrance. No need to walk through hotel hallways, touch elevator buttons, etc. And, if they're renovated decently, these can be pretty nice. In fact, that rationale is leading us to choose the older RI in Boulder over a newer RI.
twa777, wrp96 and ryw like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcchi
Like others, in recent years, I've really enjoyed staying in the newer Residence Inns, which have generally been really nicely furnished.

However, in pandemic times, these older RIs actually have a distinct advantage in that each unit has its own individual, exterior entrance. No need to walk through hotel hallways, touch elevator buttons, etc. And, if they're renovated decently, these can be pretty nice. In fact, that rationale is leading us to choose the older RI in Boulder over a newer RI.
You actually have a point.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Horace
I would not use the term obsolete. I would just say it's an older concept.

Marriott switched its standards for new Residence Inns to buildings with elevators and interior hallways many years ago. Expectations for security and accessibility have changed. But there are still plenty of the old ones left. There's a place in Marriott for older Residence Inns that are well-located and well-maintained.

This subject has come up before on FlyerTalk: Is Marriott Turning Residence Inns over to Sonesta?

Here are a few paragraphs I wrote in the earlier thread (with some modifications):

Residence Inn was acquired by Marriott in 1987. Initially, the brand standards continued to call for clusters of residential buildings with outside doors, including 2-story penthouses that were reached by outside stairways.

Around the mid-1990s, Marriott changed the standards for new construction to inside hallways and the elimination of 2-story penthouses. There were probably a number of reasons why Marriott chose to make the change, including accessibility, maintainability, security, liability, and evolving guest expectations.

For 25 years or so, the Residence Inn brand has grown to have primarily the "new" configuration.

It seems Marriott is happy to collect franchise and marketing fees from owners of older Residence Inn properties that maintain their properties properly.

A Residence Inn penthouse suite is an apartment-like suite, The entrance is on the second floor at the top of an exterior stairway. Inside, the first floor has a living room with a fireplace, a kitchen with a table, and a bathroom. The first floor also has either a bedroom or a sitting room / office with a murphy bed. An interior stairway goes up to a loft bedroom with a second bathroom. It's terrific layout for families on vacation or who need long-term accommodations. But it's terrible for those for whom stairs are a problem.

Look for photos of penthouse suites at the following properties. (I've stayed at all three of them.)

Residence Inn Boulder: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...e-inn-boulder/

Residence Inn La Jolla: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...iego-la-jolla/

Residence Inn Albuquerque: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...n-albuquerque/
I'm looking at the photos as I thought I never stayed in a penthouse suite, given they have bathrooms for the loft on top. But looking at the RI La Jolla that is just a loft. No bathroom on top. If so, then like this?
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...ento-cal-expo/ The loft? It feels cramped at the top, though it is cool it isn't really a room or any meant to relax, imo.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm looking at the photos as I thought I never stayed in a penthouse suite, given they have bathrooms for the loft on top. But looking at the RI La Jolla that is just a loft. No bathroom on top. If so, then like this?
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...ento-cal-expo/ The loft? It feels cramped at the top, though it is cool it isn't really a room or any meant to relax, imo.
the RI La Jolla loft suites definitely have full bathrooms on the loft level. Both for the king and the family lofts. My go to place when in the La Jolla area.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I spent a full summer on the loft level of one of these in the Bay Area.

Was doing my MBA summer internship and the company I was working for put us up in the RI nearby for the summer. Got there second so my roommate (who I knew from b-school) snagged the bottom, I got the loft on the top (which had it's own bathroom).

Wasn't too terrible overall apart from not having a door but he went to bed fairly early and was quiet / kept the door closed downstairs -- and when our SOs came to town, we both traveled and spent those nights in other hotels so there was no noise disturbance for either party.

And got Marriott points and stay credit for the full summer which I certainly won't complain about (a big driver in reaching LTP pretty quickly).

Also stayed in the loft of one of these in the Burlington VT area after my junior year prom with my high school GF and some others instead of going to the house our parents thought we were at . Won't provide anymore details on that stay but between those two experiences, I definitely have fond memories of the two-level RIs.

And they definitely provide an renewed value-prop in the new COVID era
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:59 pm

I wonder if the current situation might lead to more demand for the properties with exterior hallways/access. It's not a good thing most of the time but avoiding poorly-ventilated hotel hallways could be a selling point now.
ryw likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have always enjoyed external-entry Residence Inns at STL Galleria, LAS Convention Center, BFL, and LVK (Livermore, CA).

There are a lot of "well-maintained, older properties" out there.

I have never been in a penthouse, though, and am unaware whether any of these have them. I do not recall too many third floors, if any.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:01 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I stayed at a penthouse at the RI La Jolla (which did have a bathroom upstairs) - that was a great option for 3 friends sharing a room as everyone got their own bed!

I also got upgraded to a penthouse at the RI Portland Convention Center on a solo trip which was a nice surprise and in a well maintained building.

If I make a trip in the US during covid I would give more weight to an older RI with external doors (or a courtyard/FI/etc that used individual air units for each room rather than shared central air)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.