Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Old Mar 2, 20, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel View Post
What would you have dressed the wound with, a Marriott washcloth after washing it with soap and water?
I usually carry antibiotic ointment and a couple of band aids in my suitcase. I also carry a small vial of superglue that I can use if I get a scratch, paper cut or break a fingernail when I travel. Superglue works great on small cuts. After decades of traveling for work, I've learned that it is smart to keep a couple of first aid items in my bag, and it doesn't take up much room.

I've been scratched and bitten by a dog before, and it drew blood. I didn't call paramedics, and I lived. This is my experience and my opinion. As I said, my main concern would have been Rabies.
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by stant View Post
GOOD - thats exactly what the OP should do. a strong dog like that can destroy a life, and by that I dont mean financial ruin, I mean death.

lawsuits should not be a matter of a convenient target.
You can correct - it should never be. But think about this - who will pay for the fees?
Old Mar 3, 20, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jaunts View Post

Personally, if this happened to me, and the bite barely drew blood, I wouldn't have called the paramedics. I would have immediately cleaned the wound, and followed up with the Rabies issue.
My mindset with injuries is usually somewhere around "rub some dirt on it and walk it off". It would probably cross my mind to do the same here. But as soon as someone mentioned the word "rabies" I think I'd leap into action. The last thing I want to deal with in the middle of a trip, nowhere near my home or my doctor, is a health issue I know little about. In that case, better to have a professional treat and explain rabies to me than figure it out on my own. Some people may have more knowledge and be ok waiting, but I don't know much about rabies and maybe the OP doesn't either.

Bottom line is you should not expect a dog in a hotel, and you certainly should not expect that dog to bite you. There's likely a little shock and surprise when something like this happens. I'm not sure whether a lawsuit is warranted, that's up to the OP, but I don't think anything he described is an over-reaction for the average person.
wrp96 and Handcake like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The bottom line is the OP has a right to walk around a hotel lobby without being injured (however slightly or severely) by someone else's dog.

If you choose to own a dog, you are responsible for the damage it causes.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I wonder what would have happened if the OP bit the dog back.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Double lawsuit and the paramedics would have treated the dog first.
Old Mar 3, 20, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Arrest for animal cruelty.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Arrest for animal cruelty.
He could claim self-defense.
SPN Lifer, garykung and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
My mindset with injuries is usually somewhere around "rub some dirt on it and walk it off". It would probably cross my mind to do the same here. But as soon as someone mentioned the word "rabies" I think I'd leap into action. The last thing I want to deal with in the middle of a trip, nowhere near my home or my doctor, is a health issue I know little about. In that case, better to have a professional treat and explain rabies to me than figure it out on my own. Some people may have more knowledge and be ok waiting, but I don't know much about rabies and maybe the OP doesn't either.

Bottom line is you should not expect a dog in a hotel, and you certainly should not expect that dog to bite you. There's likely a little shock and surprise when something like this happens. I'm not sure whether a lawsuit is warranted, that's up to the OP, but I don't think anything he described is an over-reaction for the average person.
What I know about rabies, is that unless you have proof the dog has been vaccinated they have to quarantine the dog for 10 days. If the dog dies, from rabies, then you have some serious issues. Without the professionals involved the heath department doesn't get involved and there are minimal records and requirements put on the owner. As far as I can tell this all was a pretty standard procedure for a dog bite, they were not doing anything unique for me. The health department will do the follow up with the owner and get the appropriate authorities involved if required.
SPN Lifer and rny321 like this.
Old Mar 4, 20, 2:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Mind sharing which country and whether they are accepting new residents? I'd like to move there!
Well not sure what country the poster was referring to but in New Zealand, where I live we have a compulsory Govt insurance programme called ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) that provides insurance for accidents (workplace and elsewhere) on a no fault basis. This covers the gamut from workplace injuries, medical misadventure, falls, DIY snafus like falling off ladders, sports injuries and yes dog bites. Not only is the medical cover fully funded to a standard of private care, it covers complementary treatments like physio etc. and if time off work compensation at a high percentage of salary. And because of this there is no ability to file personal injury lawsuits. You can sue for negligence I think but the awards are very small so in most cases no one does (certainly not for something like this). So if this happened in NZ the OP would be covered for all medical treatment, and only other penalties would be i guess if the dog was deemed dangerous by animal control officers etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accide...on_Corporation

(I must say reading this thread with all the exhortations to sue left right centre its quite nice to live in a country where this doesn't happen)
Old Mar 4, 20, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaunts View Post
Personally, if this happened to me, and the bite barely drew blood, I wouldn't have called the paramedics. Unless the dog had Rabies, it would never cross my mind to sue.
I mean, people on here complain about noisy a/c units and missed wake-up calls. If it was me attacked by an animal in the elevator of my hotel I'd want appropriate redress. If the hotel didn't help beyond the bare minimum and the responsible guest didn't care, I'd absolutely consider legal action.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by ajamieson; Mar 4, 20 at 5:34 am
Old Mar 4, 20, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
(I must say reading this thread with all the exhortations to sue left right centre its quite nice to live in a country where this doesn't happen)
Each system has its own advantages and disadvantages. ACC makes thing simple. But it does not mean it is a fair system. Lawsuit are invasive, and yet achieve the nececessary result.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 20, 6:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
I mean, people on here complain about noisy a/c units and missed wake-up calls. If it was me attacked by an animal in the elevator of my hotel I'd want appropriate redress. If the hotel didn't help beyond the bare minimum and the responsible guest didn't care, I'd absolutely consider legal action.
This is the point. If you're willing to seek compensation for anything in a hotel, being attacked by an animal in the elevator seems like a pretty obvious one.
Old Mar 4, 20, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
An update: 7 days after the biting incident, the owner has not sent the rabies certificate to the health department.
Old Mar 4, 20, 1:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
An update: 7 days after the biting incident, the owner has not sent the rabies certificate to the health department.
Go get yourself vaccinated my friend. Better safe than sorry.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: