Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby

Old Feb 29, 20, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, IC RA, Hyatt DM, HH DM
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Based on OP, by allowing a pit bull in a hotel as pet, Hotel may have engaged a practice that can deem as reckless disregard. Hotel can face punitive damage when warranted.
Thought I was watching Better Call Saul
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, IC RA, Hyatt DM, HH DM
Please go after the hotel and not the dog; while I sympathize with your situation, the dog was just.. well being a dog.
I would hate for it to be put down because of his irresponsible owner.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by miloworld View Post
Please go after the hotel and not the dog; while I sympathize with your situation, the dog was just.. well being a dog.
I would hate for it to be put down because of his irresponsible owner.
Listen, I love dogs and don't want this one to be put down. But where are you getting the irresponsible owner from? OP hasn't really provided details on everything that transpired so how are you reaching that conclusion? Just because the dog was brought into the hotel?
opalka90 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
I really hate frivolous lawsuits, but please sue the hell out of everyone involved; maybe then we can keep dogs out of hotels. I've seen one in a lounge, even
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup View Post
Can OP please provide the details of how their hand came to be in the proximity that allowed for said dog, with unknown previous interactions, to bite them? I don't usually make it a habit of placing my hands near the mouths of animals that I do not have regular familiarity with. I would be more embarrassed as a grown adult to admit I had engaged in such a seemingly careless act that resulted in my injury. If the dog had been running loose in the lobby or not under direct control of the owner then I apologize in advance as this is the result of an irresponsible dog owner.
So what is a hotel guest supposed to do— keep 10 feet away from a dog? Never get in an elevator if a dog is there? Even if the OP is not paying attention and looking at the phone or on a call how does that excuse a dog biting? Is there an insinuation that the OP was beating on the dog?

If a dog is so nervous or “protective” of the owner it should be wearing a basket muzzle out in public.

Unless the OP was actively hitting the dog there is no excuse for biting.

Why should hotel guests have to tiptoe around a dog? How much distance should one keep from a dog before the adult should be “embarrased” about being near an unknown dog?
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
Nothing said after the OP's post matters, since OP refused to "go into all the details". I assume OP was taunting the dog. Dog owner should sue OP for animal cruelty. That assumption is as valid as every other assumption made so far.
What is taunting the dog? Coughing? Looking straight in the eyes? And even if the OP did “taunt” the dog by saying “who is an ugly boi, you a hideous pupper, bad doggo” the dog should not bite.
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:50 pm

nm... misread post.

Last edited by mtofell; Feb 29, 20 at 9:51 pm Reason: misread post
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:52 pm

Where do you extract an attempt to place blame? I simply asked for the details of the interaction that OP didn't want to provide for some reason. I then provided an example of how I usually conduct myself in what sounds to me a similar situation. I again with no assignment of blame detailed how I would have felt embarrassed. I don't believe you may have misinterpreted my post.
With a username of Pittie Pup, something tells me you aren't going to side with the OP regardless of what they say. Just a hunch though.
Old Feb 29, 20, 9:57 pm

I am surprised that hotels do not require copies of vaccine records. My vet gives a tag and rabies vaccine certificate.

Attend to health first and then get a lawyer. Let the lawyer figure out premises liability versus owner.
Old Feb 29, 20, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Where do you extract an attempt to place blame?
Right here.
I had engaged in such a seemingly careless act that resulted in my injury.
Old Feb 29, 20, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

No offense - This is an extremely bad advice.

1. Hotel definitely has insurance. And its pocket is for sure deeper that the guest for sure.

2. It is easier to sue a business than a person, as well as resolving the disputes.

3. Based on OP, by allowing a pit bull in a hotel as pet, Hotel may have engaged a practice that can deem as reckless disregard. Hotel can face punitive damage when warranted. But since the guest has the hotel's approval, and based on its causal occurrence (it was an accident after all), the guest will definitely be not liable for the punitive damage. So suing the hotel may yield a better result than the guest.

I think this is a sad commentary on todays world. Surely the OWNER is far more responsible than the Hotel... but "lets go after the deep pockets"? How about holding the person who is ACTUALLY responsible...responsible? Oh no... lets look to who is going to give us a bigger payout! I am SO glad that "Contingency fees" are illegal in Australia.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 1, 20 at 1:56 am Reason: Fixed markip
Old Feb 29, 20, 11:07 pm

The “take my dog everywhere I go” culture stinks. I want to be around humans, not pets when I’m at a hotel. If I wanted to be around pets I’d book myself into a pet hotel.
Old Feb 29, 20, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sigh. My lack of details were more around not having the Marriott mother ship link my user name to me personally.

Walked into lobby after work. Hotel elevators are terrible. One opened as I walked up. Man with dog there waiting and he went into elevator with dog. Not really thinking about it and assuming some one with a 'pet' in a hotel has it under control, I followed to enter the elevator. The owner had the dog on a leash, When I was at the entrance the owner was facing away and the dog he was trying to control was facing me. The dog made a move for my leg, but got the pants. I started rethinking taking the elevator, but then the dog jumped at me and grabbed my hand and bit one of my fingers. After I found three puncture wounds with one deep enough to bleed. Owner did not see the dog bite me. I yelled when it happened and the owner got upset that I was yelling at the dog and told me to get out of the elevator (which I was doing anyway), I told him I was bitten and he just told me to get out. He went up in the elevator with the dog.

I went to the front desk and told them I was just bitten by a guest's dog, who I assumed had just checked in. They said he checked in the day before and called security and his room.

He came back down, without the dog. Expressed no remorse or showed any concern about my injuries (maybe he didn't want to admit liability).

Hotel called the police and paramedics.

Hotel staff did nothing for me until I asked for a bandage or something for the bleeding. They seemed completely unprepared to handle the situation.

Waited for paramedics and police. Police report documenting it. They told me the dog would be quarantined for 10 days (which I learned means the owner has to keep the dog with them for 10 days, no running around in the backyard without a leash etc). Owner has said it has shots and is sending those to the health department which has contacted me. Owner didn't leave hotel until Friday so it will probably be Monday to have confirmation.

Hotel, zero response that night or next day. Never called me to check how I was. As I've said didn't even offer to get me some bandaids (fortunately I carry them plus some antiseptic).

The only significance to he size of the animal is the hotel specifically states not pets over 40 lbs. By their own rules this animal should not have been in the hotel.

Hotel is in NJ, Owner is in PA and I'm in TX.

Hopefully that clarifies any confusion and answers the questions.
SPN Lifer and closecover like this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 11:40 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

I just feel that OP should go after the hotel, not the dog owner. Hotel should be a safe place for all guests to enjoy. The hotel can go after the dog owner if they want to. I just do not think it is productive to sue the dog owner who had received permission to bring in the dog.

I have two neighbors who got into some some trouble with the dog. The mother and kid were walking around the neighborhood and were close to dog's house. The dog jumped out of the fence and started to bark at the strangers. The kid got scared and started to run away. Then the dog chased after the kid and somehow left some scratches on kid's legs before the mother chased away the dog. Police got involved. Dog was evaluated by the animal doctor and get clearance. The kid's mother wanted to have the dog put down. But the owner refused. The dog owner did take care the medical bills.

To the end, the kid's mother still upset and sent several letters to neighbors. The dog owner set a more sturdy fence and the dog still barks when we passing by. The dog never bothered us or chased us even the dog was outside the fence.
Old Feb 29, 20, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
I've encountered so many pet owners who think their little darling is an angel who wouldn't hurt anyone, and that any viciousness is entirely due to the innocent bystander.

I agree with the person who suggested an attorney. Now that we know the dog's owner shirked responsibility, I hope you go after them and cause lots of aggro.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: