Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is the W Hotel Yas Marina Abu Dhabi under quarantine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the W Hotel Yas Marina Abu Dhabi under quarantine?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Bonvoy LTT, Centurion, HH Diamond
The W Hotel Yas Marina Abu Dhabi under quarantine

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...re-in-lockdown

I have upcoming reservation to this and Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi and Grosvenor Dubai

The latter Westin is mentioned directly in articles today.

Has Marriott announced any properties undergoing quarantine?
Usario likes this.

Last edited by NickinTO; Feb 29, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:39 pm

Is it closed?

I too am worried about being quarantined while on business trips. Should I cancel my bookings?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, the W is on a 3 day quarantine as of now (what the duty manager of another Marriott UAE property told me just now). 3 days is not long enough... oddly, I can still book the W on the app.

I'd cancel ASAP and not stay at hotel until 4 weeks after they give all clear. People are getting sick everywhere
NickinTO likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for that critical information.

As for the ability to book via app, this is what lead me here. Why would they let people book while it's under quarantine! Unbelievable.

And I agree that 3 days is certainly not long enough.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
No one here has enough information to decide if 3 days is enough or not.

contact the hotel directly and get a better idea of the situation and why exactly it’s been quarantined and the steps being taken to ensure staff etc won’t be passing it on if they happen to have come in contact with the Tour groups/teams.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
No one here has enough information to decide if 3 days is enough or not.

contact the hotel directly and get a better idea of the situation and why exactly it’s been quarantined and the steps being taken to ensure staff etc won’t be passing it on if they happen to have come in contact with the Tour groups/teams.
The WHO and NIH have plenty of information to decide if 3 days is enough or not. The SARS epidemic was amplified by international hotel guests and subsequent studies and recommendations have made clear that "3 days is not enough" and exposed gaps even in a 1 week quarantine.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6260697/

I have contacted my ambassador to check the situation
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The NIH has no authority over a foreign hotel. Based on their recent performance, I wouldn't trust the WHO.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:57 am
Original Poster

It's been confirmed directly to me by Marriott that the hotel is "not taking reservations"
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:00 am

"Not taking reservations" is a dishonest way of saying quarantine in the world we live in. I am disappointed that Marriot is not being transparent with their member customers.

Last edited by Usario; Mar 1, 2020 at 7:21 am
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Reuters picked this up:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idCAKBN20O1NM

Looks like it's indeed more than just "not taking reservations" SMH.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
They just announced some guests can leave after not testing positive. I really dislike this as there is an incubation period. They should quarantine them... And the hotel should be locked down for a while too.

We were actually thinking about staying there next week. Thank gosh we didn't book
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
They just announced some guests can leave after not testing positive. I really dislike this as there is an incubation period. They should quarantine them... And the hotel should be locked down for a while too.

We were actually thinking about staying there next week. Thank gosh we didn't book
Looks like the quarantine is lasting longer.. at this time, the hotel cannot be booked before March 10 !
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Edit: Now Quarantine Til March 25 !
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:10 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
On February 27, 2020, we were informed by local authorities that two members of a tour group tested positive for Coronavirus. Although the people concerned were not guests at W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island, they had been in recent contact with guests at the hotel.

As a precautionary measure, the local authorities placed the hotel on temporary lockdown while undertaking necessary health screenings. The property is, therefore, not operating as a regular hotel at this time.

We can confirm that the health authorities have cleared some guests to leave the property. Others remain in the hotel as per directions from the health authorities.

The safety and well-being of our guests and associates is of paramount importance to us and we continue to comply with the direction provided by the health authorities.

We will resume normal operations as soon we have clearance from the health authorities.

All other hotels in the UAE continue to operate as normal.
margarita girl and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The NIH has no authority over a foreign hotel. Based on their recent performance, I wouldn't trust the WHO.
So what now? We shout fake news and ignore anything we don't want to hear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.