Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Purchased Bonvoy Points - Should have known better

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:22 am
Original Poster

I've been on the fence about purchasing points with their current promotion that gets you an additional 50% after reading all of this issues people seemed to be having with the last promotion in the fall. But ultimately I gave in and yesterday I purchased 50k that gives me an additional 25k for a total of 75k points for $625. I received the emailed receipt reflecting this. This morning I logged into my account to see that only 50k points have been issued. I clicked the online chat button to speak to an agent and it did not go well. First she said she only saw 50k points and I said no joke that's the issue. Then she asked for me to provide her with the "promotion details" so I typed it all out since I didn't know how else to prove to her this is a legit promotion on marriott's website. Finally she found it and said "Due to the Positive response to this promotion, Points Purchases will be processed up to Seven Business Days after purchase" and that there was nothing else to be done at this time. I could see it taking longer to post all of the points but I am concerned that because I only received the base points and not the additional bonus points that there is a glitch or error somewhere. I am not confident that I am ever going to get the bonus points now and wish I could just take it all back at this point. Does anyone think it will do any good to call? Based on past results some of you have had with Marriott they are not really good and solving issues.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
I've been on the fence about purchasing points with their current promotion that gets you an additional 50% after reading all of this issues people seemed to be having with the last promotion in the fall. But ultimately I gave in and yesterday I purchased 50k that gives me an additional 25k for a total of 75k points for $625. I received the emailed receipt reflecting this. This morning I logged into my account to see that only 50k points have been issued. I clicked the online chat button to speak to an agent and it did not go well. First she said she only saw 50k points and I said no joke that's the issue. Then she asked for me to provide her with the "promotion details" so I typed it all out since I didn't know how else to prove to her this is a legit promotion on marriott's website. Finally she found it and said "Due to the Positive response to this promotion, Points Purchases will be processed up to Seven Business Days after purchase" and that there was nothing else to be done at this time. I could see it taking longer to post all of the points but I am concerned that because I only received the base points and not the additional bonus points that there is a glitch or error somewhere. I am not confident that I am ever going to get the bonus points now and wish I could just take it all back at this point. Does anyone think it will do any good to call? Based on past results some of you have had with Marriott they are not really good and solving issues.
Pointless rant due to a delay of one day or one week? I chased points associated with a hotel to airline promo for six months. Death and taxes are guaranteed; promotions associated with travel loyalty programs, not so much so. Per the customer service representative, wait a few weeks and check the status.

per the terms and conditions...

Points purchases will be processed up to 7 business days after purchase
Base points purchased will be deposited into members' accounts first. Bonus points will be deposited up to 48 hours after that initial deposit.

(or in other words, it may take a while...)
nancypants and rill2503456 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I understand the concern. Why would purchased points arrive at different times from same purchase? Could be a glitch or could be the bonus part takes longer. But I understand the OP's concern. Marriott's IT simply doesn't work.

I'm at a property now. My app shows a 3 night stay though I booked 9 nights....luckily I double checked with property and they have 9 nights.

I hope OP kept email receipt and screenshot.

But whole issue is lack of trust in Marriott's IT and ability/willingness of CS to fix the situation. Hence people are unhappy or flee
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Pointless rant due to a delay of one day or one week? I chased points associated with a hotel to airline promo for six months. Death and taxes are guaranteed; promotions associated with travel loyalty programs, not so much so. Per the customer service representative, wait a few weeks and check the status.

Base points purchased will be deposited into members' accounts first. Bonus points will be deposited up to 48 hours after that initial deposit.

You know you are not very nice. She came here worried and posted her concern, not to be insulted because you view it as not important. She rightly so wants ALL her points and needed some feedback. Some of you on here are brutal, seriously.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room

That is unfortunate that you had an issue that took that long to resolve. I can't imagine having to deal with that. I agree my post was a bit frantic, but I was not trying to convey my frustration with the points not being there this early on, but rather that they had only partially been deposited. I should have been better at conveying that. I should have gone back and looked at Marriott's terms and conditions more clearly because you are correct, it does state that it can take up to 7 days to process and that the bonus points will always be deposited after the base points, in a separate transaction. I was not aware of this and thought they typically take 24-48 hours to process. I do appreciate your reply because it had me go back and see this and I do not feel that I need to assume they won't post to my account in the coming days or weeks, or how ever long. I do wish that the online agent could have better understood where my concern was. If she had stated that the bonus points are not supposed to be deposited combined at the same time, I would have felt reassured everything was going as it should. Either way apologies for seeming frantic in my post and I do see that I should have just done a little more research on my end first, before getting so alarmed.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
But ultimately I gave in and yesterday I purchased 50k that gives me an additional 25k for a total of 75k points for $625. I received the emailed receipt reflecting this. This morning I logged into my account to see that only 50k points have been issued.
I wouldn't worry. Lots of people having same issue.

For a Limited Time: Buy Points and Get a 50% Bonus, ends March 25 2020

Just need to give it a couple of days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes it's ridiculous that the bonus points don't arrive at the same time as the base points.

It's also overkill to become frantic without reading the T&Cs that say quite clearly that the bonus points will arrive later...
nancypants and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes it's ridiculous that the bonus points don't arrive at the same time as the base points.

It's also overkill to become frantic without reading the T&Cs that say quite clearly that the bonus points will arrive later...
Agreed and agreed. If it makes the OP feel any better, I bought points and the bonus points did show up one day after the base points.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I understand the concern. Why would purchased points arrive at different times from same purchase? Could be a glitch or could be the bonus part takes longer. But I understand the OP's concern. Marriott's IT simply doesn't work.

I'm at a property now. My app shows a 3 night stay though I booked 9 nights....luckily I double checked with property and they have 9 nights.
I've seen that many times.

E.g.- I book a 7 night stay. After night 1 the online reservation now shows as a 6 night stay. After day two the reservation now shows as a 5 night stay.

The first time I saw this I freaked out. Now I just ignore it.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriott
my bonus points showed up the next day too!
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
I have also had a inconsistent experience with my purchase

I made two purchases of 50k each on Feb 20th. Both charges posted to my AMEX the next day.

50k points added to my account on the 22nd
25k bonus points added to my account on the 23rd

Second purchase of 50k and 25k bonus still nowhere to be seen (as of the 29th).

Email confirmation after purchase says 24-48 hours.

All I expect is:

- accurate communications (don’t say 24-48 hours if you don’t plan to deliver)

- consistency (don’t process 1 transaction, and leave the second one hanging for a week+)

In my mind, these should be baseline deliverables from a big company like Marriott. Coming up on 2 years post merger and they still can’t nail down the basics.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: Alaska
Seems 2nd 50k has problem. Maybe Marriott did not put the new purchase limit in.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Curious why others see the value in buying points considering all the devaluation of the points and increased redemption levels. Am I missing out on how buying points is cheaper than just paying for the hotel night?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by threedjmay
Curious why others see the value in buying points considering all the devaluation of the points and increased redemption levels. Am I missing out on how buying points is cheaper than just paying for the hotel night?
Yes you missing out.
5th night free. 60k to 25miles.

EXP : 5 night Meridien Saigon 75k points versus 850 USD
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Yes you missing out.
5th night free. 60k to 25miles.

EXP : 5 night Meridien Saigon 75k points versus 850 USD
Well that explains it... that's not where I would use the points, glad it can work out for some!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.