Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Insulting resort fee benefit for Ambassador @ JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insulting resort fee benefit for Ambassador @ JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Staying with my wife this week at the JW Marriott Marco Island Resort. Inquired with the front desk about what replacement amenity or benefit is offered in lieu of the enhanced internet included as part of the resort. They told me 125 Bonvoy points per day. That's a joke right? That's the dollar equivalent of $1 at a value of 0.8 cents per point. I told them so, and asked for a daily F&B credit or drink vouchers to spend at the bar. They responded with a $5 credit, one time, not daily. Then I asked why one time if the resort fee is daily. If I was staying 1 night what would the offer be. I have in chat them acknowledging that if I stayed 1 night, then the replacement benefit would be a $1 folio credit. What a effing joke.

If we choose to stay at these resorts that exploit customers with resort fees, they will continue to do it. I urge you to avoid this hotel to prove a point.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I know hotels were required to offer an alternate amenity under SPG, but does Bonvoy require it?

I avoid all hotels that charge Deception Fees, and urge everyone to do the same.
Handcake and Spiff like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:06 am

There's a Hilton resort literally next door - 80k points/night versus 70k/night for the JWM (plus HH easier to earn than MR), and no resort fees ever on Honors redemptions...just food for thought!
Tanic, Lifetimenotelite and Spiff like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
If we choose to stay at these resorts that exploit customers with resort fees, they will continue to do it. I urge you to avoid this hotel to prove a point.
It's virtually impossible to avoid resort fees in many locations.

However, this is a very good reason to ditch Marriott. Hyatt and Hilton both waive resort fees on awards, while Hyatt waives for Globalists on all stays.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The moral of the story is to know these things before you check the box agreeing to them. In this case, there is apparently an equivalent Hilton nearby. In other places, it will be more of a hassle. But, these fees are spreading not contracting. Thus, over time, the possibilities may well shrink radically.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I hate resort fees and destination fees as much as anyone else. Being pragmatic the only way to look at them is as part of the base cost of the room. E.g. you don't get anything of value in return for them typically. While this is not consumer friendly, it is a widespread practice. I have better things to do with my time than argue with the Front Desk Associate and/or Management/GM, when I am on a leisure stay. Leisure stay's are typically family time and/or trips with friends, where I want to relax. Arguing about the substitute benefits for resort fees is not relaxing. Doesn't matter if I paid in points or cash, either way I want to relax.

As long as the fees are fully disclosed upfront at reservation time so I know what to expect when I arrive, I just live with them if I choose to stay at the property. I do factor in the cost of resort fees into my selection process for where I want to stay on leisure stays. Since most of the properties are extremely high demand locations during peak periods, my choosing to stay elsewhere due to resort fees will have little or no impact on the properties revenue. E.g. like it or not, we don't have much to bargain with currently. If the economy changes and more specifically hotel occupancy levels start declining, we will most likely see benefits improve including the elimination (or true alternate value benefits) for junk fees. Until then, get over it.... YMMV....

--Jon

P.S. If Hyatt, who currently doesn't have this practice, works for you with their footprint, move your business there. Unfortunately for me it doesn't work on multiple levels (footprint, room cost for business stays, etc.). I believe IHG has the same practices as Marriott for resort and destination fees. Not sure about Hilton though they have other issues ROI on dynamic pricing for award stays. As a primarily US traveler, those are the main options.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by arlflyer
There's a Hilton resort literally next door - 80k points/night versus 70k/night for the JWM (plus HH easier to earn than MR), and no resort fees ever on Honors redemptions...just food for thought!
But the JWM is much nicer than the Hilton. In every respect. But yes, these resort fees are a complete insult.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I am there for a conference, not on points.

I am not actually complaining about the resort fee. I get it. As part of the Bonvoy terms however, there is a clause that explicitly states that if a benefit included as part of the resort fee is already offered to a member as part of there status benefits, than an alternative up to the hotel is to be provided. As I mention, most do $5 daily F&B credits, or daily drink vouchers, or something. This hotel offered me 125 Bonvoy points (I have 3MM+), or the equivalent of $1 folio credit per day...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
They responded with a $5 credit, one time, not daily. Then I asked why one time if the resort fee is daily. If I was staying 1 night what would the offer be.
They are acknowledging that the "resort fee" really is a scam.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
I am there for a conference, not on points.

I am not actually complaining about the resort fee. I get it. As part of the Bonvoy terms however, there is a clause that explicitly states that if a benefit included as part of the resort fee is already offered to a member as part of there status benefits, than an alternative up to the hotel is to be provided. As I mention, most do $5 daily F&B credits, or daily drink vouchers, or something. This hotel offered me 125 Bonvoy points (I have 3MM+), or the equivalent of $1 folio credit per day...
I bolded the part where they are adhering to the terms. It's up to them. If that doesn't work for you then you should consider alternative arrangements in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
I bolded the part where they are adhering to the terms. It's up to them. If that doesn't work for you then you should consider alternative arrangements in the future.
Agree. I am not saying they are not compliant. Saying they are insulting, especially when their text specically says in appreciation of your Ambassador status......
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
P.S. If Hyatt, who currently doesn't have this practice, works for you with their footprint, move your business there. Unfortunately for me it doesn't work on multiple levels (footprint, room cost for business stays, etc.). I believe IHG has the same practices as Marriott for resort and destination fees. Not sure about Hilton though they have other issues ROI on dynamic pricing for award stays. As a primarily US traveler, those are the main options.
Do you have a group you like for someone who is primarily a euro traveler? I was going to pick Marriott for the start of my hotel points journey because Hiltons are always so bland no matter what pricepoint, whereas Marriott has interesting properties in Europe. Hyatt has nice properties too, but not very many properties overall and the CC is not as helpful. You mentioned these are the main options as a US traveler, but if you know a good EU option that would be good info.

Resort fee is definitely a scam though, except for at places that are truly resorts and tell you not to bother tipping anybody because that's what the fee is for, which is something I have seen but don't remember where.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agree. I am not saying they are not compliant. Saying they are insulting, especially when their text specically says in appreciation of your Ambassador status......
No reason to be insulted. It's not personal. They're ripping off everyone
ExArkie likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:54 am

oh, so they DO know who you are
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wrldwide1
SPG required that the alternative amenity be of equivalent value, but Bonvoy doesn't care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.