Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This is the consolidated Marriott related Coronavirus Discussion thread. For general travel related Coronvirus discussions/information check out the newly created Coronvirus and Travel forum.

Marriott has released an official statement concerning the Coronavirus: https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ See post #116 (thanks Intl359Widget) in this thread for more details.

Print Wikipost

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
My one hope about all of this is the terribly restricted but so called flexible rates will start to go away. I have no idea if 3 days before check in my flight will be cancelled in today’s world. I hope that extends into the future.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'd like this year's status to get extended - I personally think Hilton is being a tad bit TOO generous to extend my Gold status that I would've lost with a grand total of 2 Hilton nights in 2019... Given that was way before the pandemic. I'll take it though.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:40 am
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Kudos to Hyatt--just received this e-mail:

More time for elite members to enjoy their status and benefits: Status and benefits will be extended for all existing elite members without having to re-qualify. This means that whatever your status was as of March 31, 2020 – whether Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist – it will be automatically updated to reflect a February 28, 2022 expiration date.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:51 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Pretty much all major chains have announced that they extending the elite levels.
Even Accor manage to gift 50% of the current tier requirements for their elites (and 1 year extension for members in greater China)

And yet still no word from Marriott about this.
FWIW, I am pretty certain I will make TIT this year, so I am expecting Marriott to kiss my rear at some point. J/K I don't know how many of us FTers are still in Marriott properties.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'd like this year's status to get extended - I personally think Hilton is being a tad bit TOO generous to extend my Gold status that I would've lost with a grand total of 2 Hilton nights in 2019... Given that was way before the pandemic. I'll take it though.
Im always gold with a cheap US Hilton credit card... It’s like an insurance (free breakfast) when we can’t find Marriott properties last minute
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:58 am

I'm contemplating planning a trip for end of the year.

Anyone dare hope that Marriott adjusts the peak/off-peak days after travel starts to resume?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, United Premier Exec, Virgin Gold
I have a prepaid rate for 16th April. When I click through to cancel it warns me there is a cancellation fee applicable. Is this just a mistake?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ade99
I have a prepaid rate for 16th April. When I click through to cancel it warns me there is a cancellation fee applicable. Is this just a mistake?
Personally, I wouldn't trust the app or web site for this. I have cancelled and received the refund for all my pre-paid reservations by contacting the hotels directly and requesting the cancellation and refund. I've then had it in writing, well email, from them and the refund has been processed and appeared on my card some time later but at least I feel engaged with the process of refund and it's not a mystery.

It's the hotel themselves that will process the refund rather than Marriott corporate so you may as well go direct to the source and deal with them.
dcmike likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Free night award expiring 7/9/2020

I have a feeling this has been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.
I have a free night award expiring 7/9/2020.
I was set to use it on 5/8/2020 but now the hotel in San Diego is closed and I am not going.
Did Marriott announce an extension of validity for free night award certificates?
Thanks, apologize if already discussed.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by card1953
I have a feeling this has been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.
I have a free night award expiring 7/9/2020.
I was set to use it on 5/8/2020 but now the hotel in San Diego is closed and I am not going.
Did Marriott announce an extension of validity for free night award certificates?
Thanks, apologize if already discussed.
from the email sent out
Lastly, Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Per Marriott in this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32180505-post528.html, cert expirations have been pushed out till Jan. 31, 2021.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Who's successfully gotten a refund on a pre-paid trip? I just hit cancel on a trip and am worried it's going to be a three ring circle trying to get a refund processed.

The website wording is SUPER confusing, on the booking page it says non-refundable if cancelled more than 24 hours after booking, but clicking cancel it says it's non-refundable is cancelled less than 24 hours prior to check-in. Why can't they simply say "refundable until 24 hours prior to check in?"
I have two pre-paid refund requests in, one with the Renaissance Bali for about $10k (presidential villa) and W Bangkok for about $4k (wow ste). It’s been over three weeks since my requests (April 17th). Dispatched an email yesterday as a reminder and got the expected “we’re working on it” responses.

Will update my timeline here when they do actually initiate the refund.

On a lighter note, I’m happy that Marriott has decided to extend status. I would’ve earned gold just from my annual cc expenditure, but the diff between gold and platinum is mega. Happy to hold on to it.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Adrenalist
I have two pre-paid refund requests in, one with the Renaissance Bali for about $10k (presidential villa) and W Bangkok for about $4k (wow ste). It’s been over three weeks since my requests (April 17th). Dispatched an email yesterday as a reminder and got the expected “we’re working on it” responses.

On a lighter note, I’m happy that Marriott has decided to extend status. I would’ve earned gold just from my annual cc expenditure, but the diff between gold and platinum is mega. Happy to hold on to it.
I have bookings with the Andaman in Langkawi, the W Kuala Lumpur and another Marriot Bonvoy hotel in Sydney. Just followed up with the Andaman to ask where my refund is - they said 2 weeks about 3 1/2 weeks ago....

Got an automatic response saying that the hotel is closed until 30 June. Am I supposed to wait until then for a refund?!? Seriously unimpressed.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Adrenalist

Mine was a fraction of that but I've had a similar experience. The cancellation portion was no problem and the hotel even sent an email right after confirming. However they blame "bank procedures" for potential delays in the refund hitting my credit card.

I'm worried that many hotels don't have the cash on hand to process all of these refunds and will give similar stall messages on why the refund hasn't yet been posted. It's a lot easier for Marriott corporate to say they're going to allow refunds on advance purchase rates than it is for hotels to come up with the cash to process all of those refunds.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Similar questions / concerns here. I cancelled two pre-paid rooms about 3 weeks ago. The Twitter team said "min 90 days" for the refund.

FYI - same situation on Hilton rooms (where I have no status) and I had the money back in 5 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.