Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This is the consolidated Marriott related Coronavirus Discussion thread. For general travel related Coronvirus discussions/information check out the newly created Coronvirus and Travel forum.

Marriott has released an official statement concerning the Coronavirus: https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ See post #116 (thanks Intl359Widget) in this thread for more details.

Print Wikipost

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by bobbytables
good job Marriott (sarcastic). (I guess - I’ve never seen it as an acronym before.)

every time a company like Marriott puts out a URL like that in an official communication, the public gets slightly more desensitised to unofficial-looking URLs and gets slightly more likely to fall victim to a phishing scam.

something like covid-19.marriott.com would be good. Only Marriott could create that. What they created could be bought by anyone for a couple bucks and follows the same general appearance (company name first with some other junk after hyphens) as most phishing domains.
Thanks. That's new to me. Agree it would be much better to append something like this to a domain they own to avoid confusion--not sure why they would not have. Maybe some sort of domain naming conventions or restrictions?

cheers!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume that there are no Marriotts in Iran?

A W (and a Crowne Plaza) in the UAEwas quarantined, so I'm surprised there's no mention of that location.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by weld3z
Any other examples of canceling upcoming reservations?
I'm not about to get worked up over what's just the Common Cold that's been to the gym a couple of times, but I am disappointed that after all the travel bans and cancellations everywhere I'm not seeing much in the way of travel discounts anywhere
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:43 am

There have been thousands and thousands of reservations cancelled all over the world. Many major international conferences (some with 50K-100K attendees) have been cancelled or postponed, so the hotel reservations for the attendees were all cancelled too.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'm not about to get worked up over what's just the Common Cold that's been to the gym a couple of times, but I am disappointed that after all the travel bans and cancellations everywhere I'm not seeing much in the way of travel discounts anywhere
It is much easier to give price than to take price. Chains have spent years getting price levels to where they are today (including all pricing levers of unbundling, channel management, dynamic pricing, etc.). They are going to hold out and maybe take a short term hit on volume before they give all that up.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been some notable sales, but so far it looks like the majority of carriers have decided their staffs should take it in the neck with unpaid furloughs rather than drop ticket pricing to meet the market.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I'm not seeing much in the way of travel discounts anywhere
Just gotta look. (poor GK must be crying over his spreadsheet)

Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by weld3z

Any other examples of canceling upcoming reservations ?
There's one or two here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...avel-plan.html
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
Had to cancel a trip to Italy because work is afraid of it. Paid change fees on UA award tickets to go to Ireland instead just a few days before Italy got put on the change fee waiver list

still waiting on qantas or Emirates to issue a waiver to cancel my return
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by perkerkeem
For a second I was very confused until I remembered that oddball JFK-MXP flight!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perkerkeem
Had to cancel a trip to Italy because work is afraid of it. Paid change fees on UA award tickets to go to Ireland instead just a few days before Italy got put on the change fee waiver list

You may want to call UA again to ask a courtesy refund the change fee. Cruise lines are willing to refund penalties on cancellations made before announcements for travels fallen into the free cancellation period.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Tanic
Just gotta look.
Huh ... thanks for that. I wonder how far out it will let me book (I can't go to HI now due to obligations)?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=ftrichard;32141117]The second time the expiration date for free cancellations has moved. Doubtless it will move again over the next few weeks to incorporate stays in April.

Latest statement on cancellation waivers from Marriott

We are waiving cancellation fees for hotel stays through March 31, 2020 for guests traveling to or from the following locations:· Asia Pacific: Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea
· Europe: Italy
[ENDQUOTE]
Kinda dumb for Marriott to move it 2 weeks at a time when airlines are canceling flights thru end of April.

South Korea is worth noting for its early detection - while the number of confirmed cases are scary, their mortality rate is much lower than else where. From a news clip on CNN this afternoon, South Korea has performed 140K tests so far. That explains why their confirmed cases are at high level, but then thanks to the early detection, they may be able to stop the spread, or at least having much less death cases.
Italy has also done several tens of thousands tests, but due to the nature of EU structure, it is very hard for Italy to contain it like South Korea, which also has over half of the infections related to the religious sect therefore easier to identify / trace.

Iran is the most worrisome country right now... That means its neighboring countries are at high risk.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by rfrost
I have a planned Marriott stay in Rome next week— if the virus spreads to southern Italy and if the Rome Opera cancels performances ( as did La Scala and La Fenice), I will cancel, too. I also have a planned Marriott stay in Singapore in April, and have been watching developments there. (They had negative growth today: 1 new case, 2 patients cured.)
update: the Rome performances were indeed canceled, so I canceled the Rome segment of my trip, but the nights that would have been spent at a hotel in Rome will now be spent at a hotel in London— both in the Marriott “family.”
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: AC 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, National Exec Elite
Any chance of a "coronavirus" promo?

Look, undoubtedly going to be less travel and volume this year. So, less Elites. Any chance Marriott would give some sort of promo that let folks get more Elite nights recognized to make status level? Or some sort of "smart" way to fill the gap of lower volumes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.