Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation for Adult Daughter in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

My adult daughter is abroad in Europe for the semester. I would like to book a room for an upcoming stay under my Titanium Elite account so she could access the lounge, etc. I have had no issues with this when booking for my wife in the past after adding her name to the reservation. Any concerns with an adult child or in Europe?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:04 am

So we are past the “you are not suppose to do this because it’s against the rules” part but what is the difference between an adult child and an adult wife? As for Europe, be prepared to be denied benefits and be thankful if extended.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by christoman
My adult daughter is abroad in Europe for the semester. I would like to book a room for an upcoming stay under my Titanium Elite account so she could access the lounge, etc. I have had no issues with this when booking for my wife in the past after adding her name to the reservation. Any concerns with an adult child or in Europe?
You are required to check in personally to earn elite qualifying nights and elite benefits.

From the Bonvoy Ts & Cs:

2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which (i) the room is billed to the Member, or (ii) the guest room is direct billed to the company who has arranged payment for the Member’s stay that is not associated with a convention or group meeting.

Keep in mind that European hotels can and do ask to see your passport.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Guess this helps to explain why some lounges are so overcrowded.
jtet, anteater and mctaste like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Any concerns with an adult child or in Europe?
It’s completely going to be a case of YMMV, anything from full benefits extended and points and stays earned by you, to no benefits given, no points earned. If you do this repeatedly there’s even the risk of triggering an audit.
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: Yes
If people followed the program T&C’s, benefits would be easier to obtain.. lounges would be less crowded, room upgrades would be more available.
TerryK, RetiredATLATC and mctaste like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why not just book a club level room for daughter, either with money or points?

BTW, if the adult daughter who seems to be a student is under 21, you might want to double-check hotel policies.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Wow, tough crowd on this forum. Sure nobody here shares their Netflix password with their college-age children, either.
rickg523 and Handcake like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Wow, tough crowd on this forum. Sure nobody here shares their Netflix password with their college-age children, either.
not even close in comparison.
dgreen12, CPRich, jtet and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itisme
not even close in comparison.
Really? Love the terse answer lacking any justification or detailed analysis.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:16 pm

Really? Love the terse answer lacking any justification or detailed analysis.
for one, Netflix allows multi user per account. Marriott doesn’t. If Marriott allows pulled family account users, then I can see your point.
CPRich, Horace, Zoltar and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The point I tried to make in my reply earlier in this thread is that the hotel will expect to see your credit card and usually your passport. Without those, the hotel will know your adult daughter is not entitled to elite benefits and your account is not entitled to elite qualifying nights.

Here's an article and video you might want to look at: Here’s Why You Have to Present Your Passport at European Hotels

You're already aware that it's against the Bonvoy Ts & Cs, and you shouldn't try this. I hope you're also now aware that your scheme is very unlikely to be successful.
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
for one, Netflix allows multi user per account. Marriott doesn’t. If Marriott allows pulled family account users, then I can see your point.
To clarify, I was referring to the common practice sharing with someone who is not living in your home. Netflix TOS: 4.2. The Netflix service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.

I realize it is not technically allowed, but I believe Marriott (like Netflix) often looks the other way.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
These comparisons and analogies are always silly. The bottom line here is that it is not allowed, and you should expect the hotel to ask your daughter something along the lines of ‘where is your daddy?’ Whether this is escalated to Bonvoy leading to a review of your account is something no one can predict now. But those consequences are not pleasant.
Often1 and anteater like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
The point I tried to make in my reply earlier in this thread is that the hotel will expect to see your credit card and usually your passport. Without those, the hotel will know your adult daughter is not entitled to elite benefits and your account is not entitled to elite qualifying nights.

Here's an article and video you might want to look at: Here’s Why You Have to Present Your Passport at European Hotels

You're already aware that it's against the Bonvoy Ts & Cs, and you shouldn't try this. I hope you're also now aware that your scheme is very unlikely to be successful.
This is helpful, thank you. I was just reacting to what felt like borderline hostility on this post overall. Didn't seem justified to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.