Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Get credit for corporate reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get credit for corporate reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Question Get credit for corporate reservation?

I have an upcoming stay at a Sheraton that was booked under some massive corporate program that isn't eligible for credit. Is there an easy/inexpensive way to make it eligible for nights & points?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by jnojr
I have an upcoming stay at a Sheraton that was booked under some massive corporate program that isn't eligible for credit. Is there an easy/inexpensive way to make it eligible for nights & points?
Easy? Yes; if corporate will reimburse you for making your own reservations outside their “program” (whatever you mean by that), cancel that reservation and make your own.

Inexpensive? Maybe, but probably not; if the corporate-negotiated discount isn’t that great, you might be able to match it or get pretty close with a promo or other discount.

cheers!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Sounds like they are booking via Expedia or similar, a corporate rate negotiated directly with Marriott will typically include benefits. This is extensively discussed here:

​​​​​​​Marriott Bonvoy Exclusion for stays booked by corporate travel agencies
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by AAir_head
Easy? Yes; if corporate will reimburse you for making your own reservations outside their “program” (whatever you mean by that), cancel that reservation and make your own.

Inexpensive? Maybe, but probably not; if the corporate-negotiated discount isn’t that great, you might be able to match it or get pretty close with a promo or other discount.

cheers!
Yeah, that isn't "easy" at all. I can routinely ignore their "requirement" to use their goofy travel agency, but there are two or three events a year where they do a massive booking.

I'm thinking of asking the hotel for a room upgrade, pay the difference, and see if that would do the trick.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Sounds like they are booking via Expedia or similar, a corporate rate negotiated directly with Marriott will typically include benefits. This is extensively discussed here:

​​​​​​​Marriott Bonvoy Exclusion for stays booked by corporate travel agencies
They book these huge events with "ITA", IIRC. And the rate doesn't count... they really scrape every nickel here.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
How do you know it isn't eligible for credit? What are the terms and conditions of the booking on the Marriott site. At check in ask for the stay to be associated with the loyalty program and hand the clerk your membership number. Most corporate bookings are eligible or the employees would pursue other hotel options.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:43 am

If it’s master billed, then you are out of luck.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
How do you know it isn't eligible for credit?
Because last year they told me it wasn't eligible, and I didn't get credit.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I'll add that this stay does not appear in my list of upcoming stays.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'll add that this stay does not appear in my list of upcoming stays.
Every time my company books a room for me, I have to have them add my number separately, They never seem to do this on the initial booking. But I've also had cases where a conference booking was made without my number, and I couldn't do anything about it until check-in.

Originally Posted by myperks
If it’s master billed, then you are out of luck.
While you should never expect credit for master-billed stays, this is not always true.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:56 pm

... was booked under some massive corporate program that isn't eligible for credit.
There's your answer and reason behind it as well. You can negotiate large blocks of rooms with hotels and get further discounts by foregoing the bennies. Since the hotel isn't paying out points, breakfast, and other Bonobos benefits, they're passing some of the savings onto your employer. Trust me, they're keeping some of that savings as well.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In order to determine whether there is a way around this, you have to figure out what you mean by "some massive corporate program."

As noted, there is a good chance that your employer negotiated the rate and in return for some of its discount, gave up benefits such as points, breakfast, and the like.

The question then is whether your employer will permit you to book your own room and then be reimbursed whatever it is that the employer would have paid. You pay the difference. A good way of determining how much these perks are really worth.

That is, however, a bit of a stretch and I doubt that I would authorize it if I were the CFO. One of the benfits to doing a massive booking is that it may well come with benefits which matter to the employer, e.g. flexible cancellations and it may also have other features of a meeting such as f&b baked into it.

So, bottom line is that there is a research project here. For you.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:50 pm

They book these huge events with "ITA", IIRC. And the rate doesn't count... they really scrape every nickel here.
It's probably ITA Group. They provide a bunch of different travel-related services, including incentive travel, user conferences, trade shows, and employee events.

https://www.itagroup.com/events

Personally, I wouldn't refer to it as saving nickels. With a huge group of rooms, foregoing frequent travel perks for attendees in exchange for a lower rate could easily jump over $10,000 in discounts during a multi-night event.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It's probably ITA Group. They provide a bunch of different travel-related services, including incentive travel, user conferences, trade shows, and employee events.

https://www.itagroup.com/events

Personally, I wouldn't refer to it as saving nickels. With a huge group of rooms, foregoing frequent travel perks for attendees in exchange for a lower rate could easily jump over $10,000 in discounts during a multi-night event.
Important point.

Few people realize what those "perks" really cost since they are being paid for by a third-party, e.g. employer.

If one paid for one's own rooms and were offered a bare bones room with nothing more but at a significant discount, what would you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.