Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Any risk for changing country of residence

Old Feb 19, 20, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking change country of residence to Asian country. IHG and Hyatt have started extending elite member's expiration date for another year due to virus. Marriott are more likely to follow the path. As most of my stays were in Asia, any risk for changing country of residence?
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
It wasnt risky until u post on FT to inspire many more people to change.
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by BUzhdd View Post
I'm thinking change country of residence to Asian country. IHG and Hyatt have started extending elite member's expiration date for another year due to virus. Marriott are more likely to follow the path. As most of my stays were in Asia, any risk for changing country of residence?
Sighz. Please stop posting stuff like this. This is clearly unethical
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
You appear to be proposing to defraud Marriott (and doing so by leveraging a lethal pandemic for personal gain - ever heard of karma??). And in spite of how often they get away with taking from us (by this time next year Cat 1 will likely start at 50k points during off-peak, which will be limited to Tues-Thurs during January in Topeka), FT rules will likely result in pretty swift thread closure here.
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
No problem as soon as you have actually moved to an Asian country update your MR profile to that country. Until then, you have to keep your country of residence set to where you currently live. Anything else is fraud as others have already noted in the thread....

--Jon
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you have a legitimate link to Asia... company address, family, etc. then go ahead.

If you are planning to make up an address or unofficially move to a Thai hotel, then don't bother...
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
If you have a legitimate link to Asia... company address, family, etc. then go ahead.

If you are planning to make up an address or unofficially move to a Thai hotel, then don't bother...
yes, I am Chinese who is studying in Canada. So itís not completely making things up
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium - LT Silver | AY Silver
Lol this is Marriott. They won't give away anything and won't follow Hyatt and Hilton.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 2:48 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Sighz. Please stop posting stuff like this. This is clearly unethical
I think it depends. I am from Canada and used my Canadian address as that is where I want mail posted. I live in China though for 10 months of the year. I don't think it would be unethical for me to change my address. (I haven't) I just think there are some people that live in Asia because of work but put their passport country address because they want mail to get to them, and want information in their native language. I do NOT want mail coming to my work in Chinese about Marriott stuff.
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Handcake View Post
I think it depends. I am from Canada and used my Canadian address as that is where I want mail posted. I live in China though for 10 months of the year. I don't think it would be unethical for me to change my address. (I haven't) I just think there are some people that live in Asia because of work but put their passport country address because they want mail to get to them, and want information in their native language. I do NOT want mail coming to my work in Chinese about Marriott stuff.
Turns out that this isn't a case of unethical behavior. But if you spend any time on FlyerTalk, you'll understand why some people made that leap based on the information provided in the first post. Many, many, many people come here and propose unethical and fraudulent schemes.

What you describe wouldn't be a problem. I sincerely doubt anyone with a penchant to point out fraud (of which I am one) would have an issue with someone with geographic ties to areas affected by the coronavirus taking advantage of any and all waivers offered by companies.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:33 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
If people aren't aware, if you do have reservations in Asia and cannot go because of this virus, you can call and they will waive any cancellation fees. I had to do that for my March bookings. I am really hoping I don't have to do it for my April bookings.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
yes, I am Chinese who is studying in Canada. So it’s not completely making things up
When IHG announced extensions on Wednesday, they made the country/territory of residence requirement as the one in your records as of Monday 17 February 2020 https://www.ihg.com/content/cn/zh/de...mberextend2020

In the event of a Bonvoy extension they can do the same.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 21, 20 at 6:16 am
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:12 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Too late. Marriott has just announced status extension policy for another year for members residing in China but there is a catch. Your address needs to have been in China as of Feb 1, 2020. They are not stupid.
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:13 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
When IHG announced extensions, they made the country/territory of residence requirement as the one in your records as of 17 February 2020 https://www.ihg.com/content/cn/zh/de...mberextend2020

In the event of a Bonvoy extension they can do the same.
There should also be a stay history requirement. Anyone changing their country of residence to a region where they have no stays in the last few years is risking having their account audited and possibly terminated.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
There should also be a stay history requirement. Anyone changing their country of residence to a region where they have no stays in the last few years is risking having their account audited and possibly terminated.
That would've been plain crazy - tons of people live in one region but stay only in another. Or people get posted from EMEA to APAC. Or another zillion reasons.

OTOH people outside China can be just as heavily hit by the travel restrictions - think of sales guys with China as their market.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: