Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Any risk for changing country of residence

Any risk for changing country of residence

Old Feb 19, 20, 8:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2
Any risk for changing country of residence

I'm thinking change country of residence to Asian country. IHG and Hyatt have started extending elite member's expiration date for another year due to virus. Marriott are more likely to follow the path. As most of my stays were in Asia, any risk for changing country of residence?
BUzhdd is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Posts: 3,758
It wasnt risky until u post on FT to inspire many more people to change.
pbd456 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:29 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 860
Originally Posted by BUzhdd View Post
I'm thinking change country of residence to Asian country. IHG and Hyatt have started extending elite member's expiration date for another year due to virus. Marriott are more likely to follow the path. As most of my stays were in Asia, any risk for changing country of residence?
Sighz. Please stop posting stuff like this. This is clearly unethical
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: COS
Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Posts: 1,892
You appear to be proposing to defraud Marriott (and doing so by leveraging a lethal pandemic for personal gain - ever heard of karma??). And in spite of how often they get away with taking from us (by this time next year Cat 1 will likely start at 50k points during off-peak, which will be limited to Tues-Thurs during January in Topeka), FT rules will likely result in pretty swift thread closure here.
CCIE_Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Posts: 1,713
No problem as soon as you have actually moved to an Asian country update your MR profile to that country. Until then, you have to keep your country of residence set to where you currently live. Anything else is fraud as others have already noted in the thread....

--Jon
Jon Maiman is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:33 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,913
If you have a legitimate link to Asia... company address, family, etc. then go ahead.

If you are planning to make up an address or unofficially move to a Thai hotel, then don't bother...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:40 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
If you have a legitimate link to Asia... company address, family, etc. then go ahead.

If you are planning to make up an address or unofficially move to a Thai hotel, then don't bother...
yes, I am Chinese who is studying in Canada. So itís not completely making things up
BUzhdd is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: GOT - SE
Programs: Marriott Titanium - LT Silver | AY Silver
Posts: 617
Lol this is Marriott. They won't give away anything and won't follow Hyatt and Hilton.
GalaxyChris likes this.
joakgarp is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 2:48 am
  #9  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Sighz. Please stop posting stuff like this. This is clearly unethical
I think it depends. I am from Canada and used my Canadian address as that is where I want mail posted. I live in China though for 10 months of the year. I don't think it would be unethical for me to change my address. (I haven't) I just think there are some people that live in Asia because of work but put their passport country address because they want mail to get to them, and want information in their native language. I do NOT want mail coming to my work in Chinese about Marriott stuff.
Handcake is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,969
Originally Posted by Handcake View Post
I think it depends. I am from Canada and used my Canadian address as that is where I want mail posted. I live in China though for 10 months of the year. I don't think it would be unethical for me to change my address. (I haven't) I just think there are some people that live in Asia because of work but put their passport country address because they want mail to get to them, and want information in their native language. I do NOT want mail coming to my work in Chinese about Marriott stuff.
Turns out that this isn't a case of unethical behavior. But if you spend any time on FlyerTalk, you'll understand why some people made that leap based on the information provided in the first post. Many, many, many people come here and propose unethical and fraudulent schemes.

What you describe wouldn't be a problem. I sincerely doubt anyone with a penchant to point out fraud (of which I am one) would have an issue with someone with geographic ties to areas affected by the coronavirus taking advantage of any and all waivers offered by companies.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:33 am
  #11  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 262
If people aren't aware, if you do have reservations in Asia and cannot go because of this virus, you can call and they will waive any cancellation fees. I had to do that for my March bookings. I am really hoping I don't have to do it for my April bookings.
Handcake is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:06 am
  #12  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 17,164
Originally Posted by BUzhdd View Post
I'm thinking change country of residence to Asian country. IHG and Hyatt have started extending elite member's expiration date for another year due to virus. Marriott are more likely to follow the path. As most of my stays were in Asia, any risk for changing country of residence?
Originally Posted by BUzhdd View Post
yes, I am Chinese who is studying in Canada. So it’s not completely making things up
When IHG announced extensions on Wednesday, they made the country/territory of residence requirement as the one in your records as of Monday 17 February 2020 https://www.ihg.com/content/cn/zh/de...mberextend2020

In the event of a Bonvoy extension they can do the same.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 21, 20 at 6:16 am
percysmith is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:12 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,198
Too late. Marriott has just announced status extension policy for another year for members residing in China but there is a catch. Your address needs to have been in China as of Feb 1, 2020. They are not stupid.
percysmith likes this.
Xiaotung is online now  
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:13 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
When IHG announced extensions, they made the country/territory of residence requirement as the one in your records as of 17 February 2020 https://www.ihg.com/content/cn/zh/de...mberextend2020

In the event of a Bonvoy extension they can do the same.
There should also be a stay history requirement. Anyone changing their country of residence to a region where they have no stays in the last few years is risking having their account audited and possibly terminated.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:15 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 10,610
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
There should also be a stay history requirement. Anyone changing their country of residence to a region where they have no stays in the last few years is risking having their account audited and possibly terminated.
That would've been plain crazy - tons of people live in one region but stay only in another. Or people get posted from EMEA to APAC. Or another zillion reasons.

OTOH people outside China can be just as heavily hit by the travel restrictions - think of sales guys with China as their market.
WilcoRoger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: