Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by buschoi
I do not agree. Many flyertalkers including me have had both the personal AND corporate/business cards for many years. None of us received 15 additional elite nights last year, and many of us received those 15 elite nights overnight. It appears to me Marriott is adding these 15 elite nights for business card holders on purpose rather than the IT screwing up. IT actually had to write additional codes to make this work (compared to last year).
My bet is still on a "wag the dog" scenario, i.e. some Genius pushed code into production with insufficient testing then further down the line it turns out that certain double counting is occurring but since IT have poor control of the code with massive amount of hard coded variables. Rolling back the code change becomes almost impossible, resulting in a change of the T&C for certain credit cards. We talking about an IT function that cannot mange to remove erroneous information from the web interface.
SPN Lifer and ftrichard like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kauppias
so Marriott makes it easier/super easy to get status IF YOU LIVE IN NA and removed meetings rollover etc that were available to EVERYONE no matter where you lived! great move 😂😂
To be fair, hotel status is much easier to acquire in NA compared to elsewhere (e.g. Hilton Diamond via credit card).
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Checked my account a few times yesterday and today to see if this also applies to Canadians who have both cards. Nothing yet, but I'm still hoping it might come through. As someone who doesn't have many stays planned this year, if 5 SNAs were only 20 nights away instead of 35, I would absolutely spend the extra money needed to make sure I had 20 paid nights by the end of the year. No hesitation from me whatsoever.

I'm not sure how likely it is, but given how events are being cancelled into June now, could the 15 additional nights for multi-card holders be something Marriott has decided to do as a one-time thing this year only?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Maybe not everyone in the US got the 30 EQNs from Marriott. I'm one of them. I already contacted Marriott and they said they'll look into the issue.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:50 pm

Do you have a personal and a business version of the bonvoy card?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calculus1918
Do you have a personal and a business version of the bonvoy card?
Yes.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by calculus1918
I am now thinking about freeing up one of my Amex slots (5 cards already) and then applying for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy business card. How long should I wait after I close a card to apply? Should I do it on the same day or it doesn’t matter, thanks.
A few weeks ago I decided to apply for the Bonvoy Brilliant card even though I already had 5 Amex credit cards. Application was accepted as pending; the next day I got a call from Amex stating that I would need to cancel one of my current Amex credit cards before they could make a decision on the new card. As soon as I told her which card to cancel she first went through the "lawyer talking points" on the cancelled card and then let me know that I would be approved for the new card.

TL;DR: try applying for the business card before closing another card...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:46 am

Thanks, I might still cancel my free no annual fee blue card this week and then apply for the business card next week.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Does anyone here think this move is designed to help decrease the number of people cancelling their cards, specifically those that carry more than one? With recent devaluation of the free night awards, many feel the annual fee is no longer worth the hassle. However, with 15 EQN plus the devalued free night, it may be worthwhile to keep them.

LAX
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
Does anyone here think this move is designed to help decrease the number of people cancelling their cards, specifically those that carry more than one? With recent devaluation of the free night awards, many feel the annual fee is no longer worth the hassle. However, with 15 EQN plus the devalued free night, it may be worthwhile to keep them.

LAX
I'll take the extra 15 EQNs over the free certificate any day of the week. It'll make achieving Titanium status much easier.

Already you can see people complaining since this seems to be exclusive to the US. Pretty soon some people here will separate the "real" Platinum members from the "fake" ones.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:03 pm

A few years before the Starwood purchase Chase was actively marketing existing customers who had a Marriott Rewards personal and Chase business (ink) card to also obtain a Marriott Rewards business card as it would enable one to get closer to Gold (now Platinum) with the feature of having 15 nights credited for EACH card. I received mailings and e-mails with the number of nights in my Marriott Rewards account and how the added card would affect status, in addition to the 2nd free night, which the business card provided at Category 5 vs. 4 for the personal card. I applied for the 2nd Marriott card and enjoyed the 30 nights (15 personal + 15 business) credit until the Starwood merger when the "stacking" feature was revoked.

Glad to see that the stacking feature is being restored to what the marketing program pushed and what it once was.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by tzydzy
A few years before the Starwood purchase Chase was actively marketing existing customers who had a Marriott Rewards personal and Chase business (ink) card to also obtain a Marriott Rewards business card as it would enable one to get closer to Gold (now Platinum) with the feature of having 15 nights credited for EACH card. I received mailings and e-mails with the number of nights in my Marriott Rewards account and how the added card would affect status, in addition to the 2nd free night, which the business card provided at Category 5 vs. 4 for the personal card. I applied for the 2nd Marriott card and enjoyed the 30 nights (15 personal + 15 business) credit until the Starwood merger when the "stacking" feature was revoked.

Glad to see that the stacking feature is being restored to what the marketing program pushed and what it once was.
I think before the conversion to Bonvoy and the associated CC EQN restriction, many people were carrying multiple Marriott CC of different flavors to stack up EQN. I don't even think it needed to be separate personal & business cards.

LAX
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I'm still trying to understand why Marriott would do this given that all their efforts since the merger have been to reduce the number of unearned nights (from multiple cards, meetings, multiple rooms) that people can accrue to get to elite tiers quicker.

Anyone know, and I mean *know* rather than just *think*, how the business relationship works between Marriott and the card issuers? Does Marriott share any of the revenue from the card spend? If so, then they may have done a calculation that the cash they will earn from an additional card will outweigh the cost of the free elite nights. But this implies that people with more than one card spend more than they would if they had just one card. Is this true? My monthly spend is what it is irrespective of the payment method but is there evidence that people spend more if they have multiple cards? If it's not about the income from spend, then what is it about?

For people with multiple cards, from Marriott's point of view why does it make sense for you to spread your spend across multiple cards (from your point of view of course you're getting the benefits of each card). I'm trying to understand why they would incentivise anyone to have more than one card in this way.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'm still trying to understand why Marriott would do this given that all their efforts since the merger have been to reduce the number of unearned nights (from multiple cards, meetings, multiple rooms) that people can accrue to get to elite tiers quicker.

Anyone know, and I mean *know* rather than just *think*, how the business relationship works between Marriott and the card issuers? Does Marriott share any of the revenue from the card spend? If so, then they may have done a calculation that the cash they will earn from an additional card will outweigh the cost of the free elite nights. But this implies that people with more than one card spend more than they would if they had just one card. Is this true? My monthly spend is what it is irrespective of the payment method but is there evidence that people spend more if they have multiple cards? If it's not about the income from spend, then what is it about?

For people with multiple cards, from Marriott's point of view why does it make sense for you to spread your spend across multiple cards (from your point of view of course you're getting the benefits of each card). I'm trying to understand why they would incentivise anyone to have more than one card in this way.
If you travel for your business you would want all of those expenses on their own card separate from your personal card for tax purposes.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and ftrichard like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
In many instances, use of a business card represents a separate income stream or cash flow from that involved for a personal card.

So there is additional revenue for the bank, not merely division of existing spend.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.