Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

For a Limited Time: Buy Points and Get a 50% Bonus, ends March 25 2020

For a Limited Time: Buy Points and Get a 50% Bonus, ends March 25 2020

Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
$1,250 sounds good.

Time for a new credit card with a minimum spend requirement. Every little bit helps.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Its not as good as the deal SPG offered us in 2017. Some people were allowed to buy points at half price or $0.0175/pt. Divide by 3 gives $0.0058/Marriott pt. This deal works out to $0.0083/pt. But I think its the best thats been offered since the merger.
Thanks. Believe it or not, I have never done any Marriott award redemptions. I know it's probably frowned upon hoarding points for speculative bookings, but I'll just max it out and try it out on something like a Ritz.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:12 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Nice offer and I am also glad the max is higher than in the past!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:45 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I purchased 50k (+25k) twice, I have two receipts, my credit card was charged twice, but I only received 50+25k in my account. I was told there has been an IT issue for some customers, money is supposed to be refunded for the second purchase and if I want to buy the max I have to do this again
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
I purchased 50k (+25k) twice, I have two receipts, my credit card was charged twice, but I only received 50+25k in my account. I was told there has been an IT issue for some customers, money is supposed to be refunded for the second purchase and if I want to buy the max I have to do this again
Marriott could only manage to credit my 50k base points, with the 25k bonus presumably arriving later... Considering that it's points.com running the sale of points, I'm sure that their IT is a bit better. But I'm preparing to be #bonvoyed yet again...
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by escape4
Same issue with my crediting here, but I haven't contacted them yet. Was assuming that they'd hit eventually, but that's probably optimistic.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jtp1947
Bonus points should be available 48 hours after purchase.
Which is stupid. Why can't you give me all the points at once? This shouldn't be that hard!

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is this the lowest price for points? I've never bought points before. Is sales tax charged?
No sales tax
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I bought 5000 points and the transaction is pending. Not even the base points have been posted.

How long should I wait?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I bought 5000 points and the transaction is pending. Not even the base points have been posted.

How long should I wait?

the email you should receive says 24-48 hours for the base point to be received.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Which is stupid. Why can't you give me all the points at once? This shouldn't be that hard!

No sales tax
Then how come sales tax is charged on AS points?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
Then how come sales tax is charged on AS points?
In the US airline miles are subject to the same 7.5% excise tax as domestic airline tickets as theyre seen basically as a way to offset the cost of a ticket. Marriott points arent airline miles so theres no tax.
Brendan and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
In the US airline miles are subject to the same 7.5% excise tax as domestic airline tickets as theyre seen basically as a way to offset the cost of a ticket. Marriott points arent airline miles so theres no tax.
One thing that annoys me about Alaska Airlines is that they charge the tax when buying miles even when youre not from the US! Luckily the tax doesnt apply to hotel points!
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
All the more reason to buy points. They are more akin to a service than goods, so sales tax is inapplicable.

And the airfare excise tax does not apply to hotels.

But if you forget about the Wednesday, 25 March 2020 deadline, you will be Bonvoyed.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
The devaluation will cause me to drop Marriott. My 25000 free night award is now worthless for anywhere I want to go.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Marriott could only manage to credit my 50k base points, with the 25k bonus presumably arriving later... Considering that it's points.com running the sale of points, I'm sure that their IT is a bit better. But I'm preparing to be #bonvoyed yet again...
How long until the bonus 25k hit your account?

I have the same issue with the base 50k deposited, but not the bonus 25k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.