Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mesm Tokyo, Japan, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
Reservation email: [email protected]

Lounge hours:
Breakfast: 7:00-11:00
Afternoon tea: 14:00-16:00
Evening Cocktails 18:00-22:00 (happy hour food ends at 20:00)

The lounge has been converted in to a private members club. Club Mesm. A few rates offer access to a happy hour from 5pm, and access to the space. Ambassador members also gets access, but not platinum or titanium. For the rates with access, breakfast is in the restaurant.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

This property has been discussed in the Japan hotels thread but as it's opening in April I thought it was about time that it got its own thread.

The property is situated near Hamarikyu Gardens, on the south tip basically opposite the Conrad on the north. Close to Takeshiba for connections to Odaiba, and a short walk to Hamamatsucho and Daimon.

No photos of the rooms, but if they're anything close to the renders they should be quite nice. At category 6, I suspect this property will be a good value on points for one year at most. Given the category creep in Tokyo with even CY Tokyo Station being a cat 6 and the Westin now being a cat 7, I can't see this property staying there for long.

The property has a lounge. I've been told by the hotel that these are the planned hours:Breakfast: 7:00-11:00

Evening Cocktails 18:00-22:00 (happy hour food ends at 20:00.
Also one of the few Japan properties that still takes SNAs. Only the chapter 3 king suite can be selected for SNAs as my understanding is that there are only two suites with 2x double beds.

I have two nights booked here for June. Anyone else been looking at the property or planning a stay?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This property has been discussed in the Japan hotels thread but as it's opening in April I thought it was about time that it got its own thread.

The property is situated near Hamarikyu Gardens, on the south tip basically opposite the Conrad on the north. Close to Takeshiba for connections to Odaiba, and a short walk to Hamamatsucho and Daimon.

No photos of the rooms, but if they're anything close to the renders they should be quite nice. At category 6, I suspect this property will be a good value on points for one year at most. Given the category creep in Tokyo with even CY Tokyo Station being a cat 6 and the Westin now being a cat 7, I can't see this property staying there for long.

The property has a lounge. I've been told by the hotel that these are the planned hours:Breakfast: 7:00-11:00

Evening Cocktails 18:00-22:00 (happy hour food ends at 20:00.
Also one of the few Japan properties that still takes SNAs. Only the chapter 3 king suite can be selected for SNAs as my understanding is that there are only two suites with 2x double beds.

I have two nights booked here for June. Anyone else been looking at the property or planning a stay?
The location isn’t any good. The closest hotel for reference is the IC Tokyo Bay. That said, access to Shimbashi/Shindome via the monorail makes it a decent choice but I think there are better options for less coin if that’s your area of choice. Western chain hotels are generally overpriced for what you get in Japan and I doubt this will be any different.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:57 am

Have booked here for two nights (on points, and then applied SNA) end of May.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am booked on points for mid-May. Cash rates are slightly ridiculous. Hoping the lounge will be good. Looks like it is conveniently located.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The location isn’t any good. The closest hotel for reference is the IC Tokyo Bay. That said, access to Shimbashi/Shindome via the monorail makes it a decent choice but I think there are better options for less coin if that’s your area of choice. Western chain hotels are generally overpriced for what you get in Japan and I doubt this will be any different.
As someone who spends at least a month of every year in Japan I respectfully disagree on both of these counts. 9min walk to Hamamatsucho and Daimon? You can go anywhere. The property is going to have a terrific view on the Hamarikyu side too.

Pricing looks high right now, I suspect it will adjust once they actually open. My dozens upon dozens of nights at the Prince Gallery Tokyo, with an average price across all of them of under 34k yen, very much disagrees with the general assertion that the chain hotels are overpriced.

I'm staying here on two 50k certs though because yes, at the current cash rate I would just go to the PG.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:33 am

As someone who spends at least a month of every year in Japan I respectfully disagree on both of these counts. 9min walk to Hamamatsucho and Daimon? You can go anywhere. The property is going to have a terrific view on the Hamarikyu side too.

Pricing looks high right now, I suspect it will adjust once they actually open. My dozens upon dozens of nights at the Prince Gallery Tokyo, with an average price across all of them of under 34k yen, very much disagrees with the general assertion that the chain hotels are overpriced.

I'm staying here on two 50k certs though because yes, at the current cash rate I would just go to the PG.
We have two toddlers who would love to do 2 days at Disneyland 1y from now. Would this be a good choice? We‘ll be booking use points for 5 nights and we do have platinum elite + will be using suite night upgrades if possible.

Then after 5 nights we’ll head to the new Ritz Nikko hotel for 2 nights (also on points at 60000 a night).

thanks
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musicscrip
We have two toddlers who would love to do 2 days at Disneyland 1y from now. Would this be a good choice? We‘ll be booking use points for 5 nights and we do have platinum elite + will be using suite night upgrades if possible.

Then after 5 nights we’ll head to the new Ritz Nikko hotel for 2 nights (also on points at 60000 a night).

thanks
You'd have to ask the property if they'd accommodate 2 adults + 2 children. They can't do more than 2 adults except in the suites, I'm not sure how this translates to small children but you could run into fire code limits or other issues.

I have added a small wiki with the property email.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:33 pm

You'd have to ask the property if they'd accommodate 2 adults + 2 children. They can't do more than 2 adults except in the suites, I'm not sure how this translates to small children but you could run into fire code limits or other issues.

Thanks for letting me know. I will email them now!
We have 2 platinum elites in the family and we will be booking 2 rooms (4 adults and 2 toddlers).
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know. I will email them now!
We have 2 platinum elites in the family and we will be booking 2 rooms (4 adults and 2 toddlers).
Oh I see. You should be fine then since even the base room notes that it can accommodate a crib.

I would not say this is the best property for going to Disney, as something near Tokyo Station for example would be more directly connected and only take 20-30min. However, it's about 45min by train from mesm which is more or less the same travel time as other Marriott properties like the Prince Sakura, Prince Gallery, Westin, Ritz-Carlton.

I personally have never been bothered by an extra 15 minutes of travel time to go somewhere in Japan.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:54 pm

Thanks for informing of the email. Will come in handy should I need to contact the hotel prior to my stay.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List

thanks
For two days at Tokyo Disneyland the best Bonvoy option by far would be the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay. It’s right on the Disney Resort Monorail line and a five minute trip to the main gates. The Sheraton is not a great location for other Tokyo attractions but it is very child friendly — the club lounge even has an attached kids playspace.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

As someone living in Tokyo, I would tend to say that it is fairly odd location, and slightly secluded corner. With nothing really close by. 9 minute walk to a station is pretty far by Tokyo standards. Taleshiba is closer, but the Yurikamome is not the most convenient line.

The challenge in Tokyo is of course to find space to build, so all things considered it is probably not as bad as all that.

I was thinking about checking out the place, but the price seemed overly high for a curiosity stay.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As someone living in Tokyo, I would tend to say that it is fairly odd location, and slightly secluded corner. With nothing really close by. 9 minute walk to a station is pretty far by Tokyo standards. Taleshiba is closer, but the Yurikamome is not the most convenient line.

The challenge in Tokyo is of course to find space to build, so all things considered it is probably not as bad as all that.

I was thinking about checking out the place, but the price seemed overly high for a curiosity stay.
You'll spend about the same amount of time walking to Shinagawa from the Prince Sakura, and equal or greater time to any of the stations near the Prince Gallery. Westin? 10+ minutes to Meguro or Ebisu. Even CY Tokyo station requires 7 or 8 minutes of walking to actually get in to Tokyo Station, although it is right beside Kyobashi. I don't mean to sound arrogant saying this to someone living in Tokyo, but this is really not uncommon among the big chain hotels in Tokyo. Obviously it is a longer walk time than if you specifically position near a station at something like an APA property which affords you a lot of flexibility about where to stay.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You'll spend about the same amount of time walking to Shinagawa from the Prince Sakura, and equal or greater time to any of the stations near the Prince Gallery. Westin? 10+ minutes to Meguro or Ebisu. Even CY Tokyo station requires 7 or 8 minutes of walking to actually get in to Tokyo Station, although it is right beside Kyobashi. I don't mean to sound arrogant saying this to someone living in Tokyo, but this is really not uncommon among the big chain hotels in Tokyo. Obviously it is a longer walk time than if you specifically position near a station at something like an APA property which affords you a lot of flexibility about where to stay.
The Prince Gallery is 250m from an entrance to Nagatacho subway station. The mess that is that station and the walking distances within the station is another story though. Courtyard Tokyo Station has Kyobashi Station less than 100m away.

What probably puts me off the mesm location is that it is in a corner of nothing more than necessarily the actual distance. But the two things combined would push it pretty far down on my list of practical places to stay. But with the size of Tokyo, that is really such a fluid thing, as you will always be bloody far and inconveniently placed for something no matter what you do.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.