Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mesm Tokyo, Japan, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
Reservation email: [email protected]

Lounge hours:
Breakfast: 7:00-11:00
Afternoon tea: 14:00-16:00
Evening Cocktails 18:00-22:00 (happy hour food ends at 20:00)

The lounge has been converted in to a private members club. Club Mesm. A few rates offer access to a happy hour from 5pm, and access to the space. Ambassador members also gets access, but not platinum or titanium. For the rates with access, breakfast is in the restaurant.

Print Wikipost

Mesm Tokyo, Japan, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Prince Gallery is 250m from an entrance to Nagatacho subway station. The mess that is that station and the walking distances within the station is another story though.

What probably puts me off the mesm location is that it is in a corner of nothing more than necessarily the actual distance. But the two things combined would push it pretty far down on my list of practical places to stay. But with the size of Tokyo, that is really such a fluid thing, as you will always be bloody far and inconveniently placed for something no matter what you do.
I was counting the time to actually get to something useful inside Nagatacho

I think your point here is fair and I totally understand where you're coming from. As you say, with Tokyo that is a pretty fluid thing, and for me an extra few minutes of walking to get to a train station or a restaurant doesn't really factor in when I might be spending 6+ hrs on my feet that day. If I had the option to move the hotel beside Daimon and have a view of the side of a building instead of Hamarikyu I wouldn't do it.

For me the actual thing putting me off here is the price. I think i'll be happy with the value for two 50k CC certs, but the cash prices are Prince Gallery level.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX

I think your point here is fair and I totally understand where you're coming from. As you say, with Tokyo that is a pretty fluid thing, and for me an extra few minutes of walking to get to a train station or a restaurant doesn't really factor in when I might be spending 6+ hrs on my feet that day. If I had the option to move the hotel beside Daimon and have a view of the side of a building instead of Hamarikyu I wouldn't do it.

For me the actual thing putting me off here is the price. I think i'll be happy with the value for two 50k CC certs, but the cash prices are Prince Gallery level.
We locals tend to count the entrance to the station rather than the actual platform. It is a walking in the summer sun thing.

I am waiting for better prices to test it for sure.. Though I should take a walk past on my way home from the office one day soon, just to see what's there apart from the hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:54 pm

We had never taken any public transportation in Japan in our 3 trips there in the past 3y. We always had a private car/driver or just taxi everywhere. Now with that info, which marriott chained hotel would be the best for us if we want a nice lounge and newer hotels? We are looking at 2 days at disney world/sea and some shopping i guess? Then we will head to Ritz Nikko for 2 nights.

thanks again
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by musicscrip
We had never taken any public transportation in Japan in our 3 trips there in the past 3y. We always had a private car/driver or just taxi everywhere. Now with that info, which marriott chained hotel would be the best for us if we want a nice lounge and newer hotels? We are looking at 2 days at disney world/sea and some shopping i guess? Then we will head to Ritz Nikko for 2 nights.

thanks again
You will not find a hotel that is convenient for both Tokyo shopping and Tokyo Disney. For Disney your only option is really the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay, I have never stayed there so I can't give many tips other than it is conveniently located for Disney.

If you are willing to pay for the lounge, a Club Level room at the Ritz Carlton. It will give you a very good lounge, and put you in the middle of the central Tokyo area. Meaning most drives will not be that long. If you want a lounge included from status, I have not seen great things in Tokyo, but I did kind of like the Tokyo Marriott lounge, but location is a bit odd not being there for business in the Shinagawa area.

The mesm could give you a decent driving location, also for going back and forth to Disney. But nothing is known about the lounge experience yet.
musicscrip likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any recent overviews on this hotel? Japan is still mostly locked down, I know, but given the cash rates points bookings look really good. Location-wise I'm actually a fan of this, given that it's pretty close to Odaiba on the Monorail.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You'll spend about the same amount of time walking to Shinagawa from the Prince Sakura, and equal or greater time to any of the stations near the Prince Gallery. Westin? 10+ minutes to Meguro or Ebisu. Even CY Tokyo station requires 7 or 8 minutes of walking to actually get in to Tokyo Station, although it is right beside Kyobashi. I don't mean to sound arrogant saying this to someone living in Tokyo, but this is really not uncommon among the big chain hotels in Tokyo. Obviously it is a longer walk time than if you specifically position near a station at something like an APA property which affords you a lot of flexibility about where to stay.
HUH? There's a subway station in the basement of the PG's hotel, office, and shopping complex. IIRC one entrance is right across from the underground carriage entrance to the hotel that's used by taxis.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Martellus
Any recent overviews on this hotel? Japan is still mostly locked down, I know, but given the cash rates points bookings look really good. Location-wise I'm actually a fan of this, given that it's pretty close to Odaiba on the Monorail.
Japan is not in lockdown, life has been relatively normal here compared to the pervasive lockdowns in the US. I have a one-night reservation (using an FNA from a credit card; the cash rate would have been $650/night for the time of my stay) at MESM in mid-August, assuming I follow through on my Tokyo trip and don't cancel it. I'll be sure to write a short review. The Hamamatsu-cho location is indeed convenient, especially for domestic travelers.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Jul 29, 2020 at 10:56 pm Reason: Add information
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Stayed here last weekend. Lovely hotel on par with the Prince Gallery in Akasaka.
got upgraded one level as a titanium.
good lounge with excessively free flowing booze during happy hour 6pm-10pm.

here are some pics.

Exterior. Nothing in the vicinity except the Intercontinental, and other tower apartments.

Panorama from lounge balcony

Lounge balcony, sitting at ostensibly the most popular seat in the house.

Chapter 2 room on executive floor (there are four room types - Chapter 1 base room, Chapter 2 executive, Chapter 3 junior suite, Chapter 4 top suite.).

Welcome chocolates for Plats and above, which the GF really liked (she didn't even share em!)

View towards Rainbow Bridge (intercontinental hotel hidden behind tower in the center)

Lounge happy hour bites (CV19 edition)

Twilight from lounge balcony looking up Sumida river

A date spot?

Lounge view (half the lounge is hidden here)

Rainbow Bridge view from room at night

Daytime again

Morning spread in restaurant (CV19 edition is not buffet)

Hamarikyu garden view and looking at the Conrad in the tower to the left (with former Tsukiji market space in the distance)
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Stayed here last weekend. Lovely hotel on par with the Prince Gallery in Akasaka.
got upgraded one level as a titanium.
good lounge with excessively free flowing booze during happy hour 6pm-10pm.
Thanks for the photos, you beat me to it. Some very nice views there. It looks like you must have stayed on a Saturday night because it says on their website that the Club Lounge only serves alcohol on Saturday, while soft drinks are only served Monday to Friday, and on Sunday due to COVID-19 (https://www.mesm.jp/en/service/club_lounge.html). Was there adequate food in the Club so you didn't have to eat in the restaurant. Was the in-room electric piano a blast to play?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Martellus
Honestly, Hamamatsucho is one of the best locations in Tokyo. Fairly quiet if you want it to be with sweeping views of the bay and Tokyo tower. Easy access to Yamanote, Kehin-Tohoku, Monorail, Oedo, Asakusa and Yurikamome easily connect it anywhere you'd want to go. Honestly, the easy access to/from HND alone is worth it. And the easy walks to Shibakoen (Free park) and the two paid parks are great too.

However, as someone who now lives in the area I might be a little biased!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
What's the story with the keyboard in the room?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dcmike
What's the story with the keyboard in the room?
Apparently, it's part of the hotel offering "new discoveries" to guests. Interesting.

khabah
dcmike likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Looks awesome can't wait to stay here as soon as possible. Hopefully Mesm will treat Bonvoy elites better than over at Pg?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Thanks for the photos, you beat me to it. Some very nice views there. It looks like you must have stayed on a Saturday night because it says on their website that the Club Lounge only serves alcohol on Saturday, while soft drinks are only served Monday to Friday, and on Sunday due to COVID-19 (https://www.mesm.jp/en/service/club_lounge.html). Was there adequate food in the Club so you didn't have to eat in the restaurant. Was the in-room electric piano a blast to play?
So COVID-19 doesn't spread on Saturday night? I would have thought that Saturday might be the time one is most likely to become infected, in a crowded bar for example or even in a crowded department store during the daytime.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thumbs up

Hi,

Beautiful photos Tokyoite!. Arigato!

Looks like better views of Hamarikyu than from the Conrad ( and beautiful oportunties for photos from the outside area with no reflection from the glass.). I loved the area with the gardens and the seaside top observatory at the World trade centre.

I note the Rainbow bridge was blue - is that to show thanks to the healthcare workers?

I was in tokyo in November and wish I was back. Hopefully the covid situation gets solved soon and the borders can be reopended safely.

Stay safe.

Regards

TBS
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.