Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mesm Tokyo, Japan, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
Reservation email: [email protected]

Lounge hours:
Breakfast: 7:00-11:00
Afternoon tea: 14:00-16:00
Evening Cocktails 18:00-22:00 (happy hour food ends at 20:00)

The lounge has been converted in to a private members club. Club Mesm. A few rates offer access to a happy hour from 5pm, and access to the space. Ambassador members also gets access, but not platinum or titanium. For the rates with access, breakfast is in the restaurant.

Print Wikipost

Mesm Tokyo, Japan, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I'm not an oracle, so this is just an educated guess. That said, your titanium status should increase your chances, but Friday night should have high occupancy. With titanium status, you would get club lounge access, and I think you have a reasonably good chance of getting a room upgrade to go with that. I'd say you have perhaps up to an 80% chance at a room upgrade. Good luck!
Thanks, that makes me feel better about using two 50K cert’
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Thanks, that makes me feel better about using two 50K cert’
At the very least you will get club lounge access, which would make me feel good about using two 50K certs, even if I didn't get a room upgrade. Hope you get one though! BTW, the room upgrade might only be a standard room with a Hamarikyu Garden view instead of a city view, but at Titanium, I should think you would get better if occupancy is not so high.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Depends on the day of the week, but if low occupancy, I would guess you have a 40% chance of an upgrade. Please let us know how it turns out.
A partial victory. I did not get upgraded to an Executive room. I think he was inclined to do so, but he said there was no vacancy (an online search confirmed this)

What he did do was say "there's a guy in a balcony room using late checkout. I can switch you to that room from 6pm if you like." I'm so glad I did that. The first room had a view of a small slice of river sandwiched between two obstructing buildings, but this one has a spectacular view overlooking the river and Hamarikyu Gardens. It might be my favorite view from a Tokyo hotel yet. I could spend hours sitting here watching the boats go by.

I did look at the lounge. It looked very nice, but was pretty crowded even at 4pm. To be honest, I don't think I'm comfortable with that right now. I'm happy just sitting out here alone with the boats and the free beer from the fridge.

All in all, this free night makes the 30000 yen or so annual fee for this credit card money well spent.
CO-PLAT and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
A partial victory. I did not get upgraded to an Executive room. I think he was inclined to do so, but he said there was no vacancy (an online search confirmed this)

What he did do was say "there's a guy in a balcony room using late checkout. I can switch you to that room from 6pm if you like." I'm so glad I did that. The first room had a view of a small slice of river sandwiched between two obstructing buildings, but this one has a spectacular view overlooking the river and Hamarikyu Gardens. It might be my favorite view from a Tokyo hotel yet. I could spend hours sitting here watching the boats go by.

I did look at the lounge. It looked very nice, but was pretty crowded even at 4pm. To be honest, I don't think I'm comfortable with that right now. I'm happy just sitting out here alone with the boats and the free beer from the fridge.

All in all, this free night makes the 30000 yen or so annual fee for this credit card money well spent.
You got better than I did, and I'm Gold too, but it was a very busy 4-day weekend (with national holidays) when I was there, so I couldn't expect much in terms of an upgrade. The free beers are a nice treat if you're not going to use the lounge. However, I think there is adequate spacing between tables in the lounge if you're concerned about maintaining distance. Glad it worked out for you.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was a three day weekend, which also seemed very popular based on the foot traffic in Tokyo that I saw on the news. This hotel doesn't seem to allow points reservation for a base room on Saturdays, which is what I needed to use the credit card night, but for whatever reason they didn't bother blocking out the Sunday of a three day weekend, so this was my only realistic chance to use that night here before it expired.

I tried the breakfast in the restaurant. It was decent, but quite overpriced even with the Go To Eat discount.

Love the amenities, and really happy with the service. Just wish the area wasn't so boring. Unless I had an early boat trip to one of the islands to catch, I can't think of any reason to stay here again.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:02 pm

This hotel doesn't seem to allow points reservation for a base room on Saturdays, which is what I needed to use the credit card night, but for whatever reason they didn't bother blocking out the Sunday of a three day weekend, so this was my only realistic chance to use that night here before it expired.
That's a rather restrictive condition for using a credit card FNA. Sounds like you have the Amex Japan-issued SPG card and not an Amex US-issued Marriott card such as the Bonvoy Brilliant. IIRC, the AF is only about $150 (converted from yen), so that's a small price to pay for a free night, and I think you also get free entry into Amex Centurion Lounges for one person, which are decent perks for the price.
Just wish the area wasn't so boring. Unless I had an early boat trip to one of the islands to catch, I can't think of any reason to stay here again.
Sounds like Roppongi or Ginza may be more to your liking.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a rather restrictive condition for using a credit card FNA. Sounds like you have the Amex Japan-issued SPG card and not an Amex US-issued Marriott card such as the Bonvoy Brilliant. IIRC, the AF is only about $150 (converted from yen), so that's a small price to pay for a free night, and I think you also get free entry into Amex Centurion Lounges for one person, which are decent perks for the price.
Well, I'm not getting any more US-based credit cards, so this will have to suffice. As of now at least, the SPG AMEX card (as it's still called on the website still worth having.

Sounds like Roppongi or Ginza may be more to your liking.
I prefer the hotel itself being a place I can spend two or three days within without ever leaving it, like PHT.

But as for the area around a hotel in Tokyo, my favorite is Hilton Odaiba.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:48 am

Well, I'm not getting any more US-based credit cards, so this will have to suffice. As of now at least, the SPG AMEX card (as it's still called on the website still worth having.

I prefer the hotel itself being a place I can spend two or three days within without ever leaving it, like PHT.

But as for the area around a hotel in Tokyo, my favorite is Hilton Odaiba.
I know this is a wild guess, but between the MESM in Tokyo and the new W Osaka, which one would you rather spend 2 50K certificates (or 100K points) on? Cash rate being similar.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
W Osaka. More interesting location I'd say.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that was a question for me in particular, then W is a no-go, as I'm hopelessly devoted to Ritz Carlton Osaka.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
[QUOTE=hailstorm;32837833But as for the area around a hotel in Tokyo, my favorite is Hilton Odaiba.[/QUOTE]

What do you like about Odaiba? I stayed there a couple years ago and found the area around the hotel very boring.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like boring.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:18 pm

Introduction .
May I ask you the width of the bed? Is it single (1m), semi-double (1.2m) or a real double (1.4m)? The room description says "2 double", but the picture looks more like semi-double. Thank you!
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:27 pm

The problem with Hilton Odaiba is its building configuration: a single long aisle and the elevator is not even in the center, and we happened to have a room at the vary far end...

Still, I love the hotel. It has a very quite AC and a nice lobby, and shuttle to Disneyland, and the Gundam. The hotel was also featured in one of the cartoons I watched when I was a kid:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%96...83%A5%E3%83%A9
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by airsniper
May I ask you the width of the bed? Is it single (1m), semi-double (1.2m) or a real double (1.4m)? The room description says "2 double", but the picture looks more like semi-double. Thank you!
I couldn't tell you the actual width of the bed, though my room had two double beds. You can see the photo I took of the beds in my room on the hotel review site at: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...yo-review-3785
Your guess is as good as mine, but it looks like it could be closer to 1.2 m than 1.0 m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.