Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

HOTEL THE MITSUI KYOTO, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Marriott is adding a new property in Kyoto under the Luxury Collection brand. The property was briefly showing up in search results and was later pulled, but is now showing again with a tentative Nov 2020 opening.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...hotel-and-spa/

The property also has its own website: https://www.hotelthemitsui.com/kyoto/
3rdworldresident likes this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jul 27, 2020 at 8:17 pm Reason: Updating to reflect official website posting
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Definitely a cat 8 hotel. Looks stunning, even better than the Park Hyatt.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:54 pm

WOW... we stayed at the Ritz kyoto for 14 nights and loved it. Would love to check out this hotel in the near future!
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just noticed this hotel pop-up when searching for Kyoto. Still not bookable yet (now projecting Nov 2020 opening), but I'm amazed it's currently listed as a Cat 7! It looks incredible.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
This is incredible. Hope it opens up soon for booking on Bonvoy. Looking at March dates, for Cat 7, the redemption value is incredible.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Just noticed this hotel pop-up when searching for Kyoto. Still not bookable yet (now projecting Nov 2020 opening), but I'm amazed it's currently listed as a Cat 7! It looks incredible.

-FlyerBeek
Originally Posted by Deep1312
This is incredible. Hope it opens up soon for booking on Bonvoy. Looking at March dates, for Cat 7, the redemption value is incredible.
Looks like you two beat my daily check. Really surprised that it's Cat7. Will probably ditch my RC point bookings, but will probably keep Suiran cash bookings unless the cash rates here are also more aligned with Cat7.

I've asked the mods to update the target open date in the title.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Official response from Marriott.

Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I personally think it now listed as cat 7 due to Covid-19. It will eventually be going up to cat 8.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deep1312
This is normal and even more so given that the current situation regarding tourism may push their opening date further, among other things that often cause hotel opening dates to slip.
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I personally think it now listed as cat 7 due to Covid-19. It will eventually be going up to cat 8.
Agreed.

For the record, bookings are showing on the hotel's own website. The standard room is pricing at 92,000 yen per night for opening night, pricing goes up to 195,000 yen a night for the executive suites.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Yes, could very well go up to category 8. The RC Nikko is also very stunning and is only a category 7, but I think it could also move up to category 8. Better hurry and enjoy them at cat 7 while you can.
Very surprised to see the Mitsui Kyoto has an onsen on site (as does the RC Nikko). Definitely worth checking out. You could even use a 50,000 point FNA during an off-peak stay.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), United Silver
Looks stunning! Japanese luxury hotels have the value that match their prices.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Having never been to Kyoto, I hope to go in coming years. How does this location compare to the ritz for tourist sightseeing?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Having never been to Kyoto, I hope to go in coming years. How does this location compare to the ritz for tourist sightseeing?
Equivalent. Everything in Kyoto is far apart. There's no good location; there's no bad location. (Well, "bad" would be far out of town or something...)
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
IMO the Park Hyatt location is better by virtue of it being close to Nineizaka/Sanneizaka, Kyiomizu-dera and a decent 10-15 minute walk to Gion and the shopping/dining areas around Kawaramachi and the river. The Ritz is slightly less convenient since its a bit further north but it's next to the river, which is really nice.

The Mitsui is next to Nijo castle which isn't *that* big of an attraction, but it is more centrally located in Kyoto overall and easier to get to get to Arashiyama.and Kinkaku-ji. But as stvr stated, Kyoto attractions are really spread out
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
I always hated going to Kyoto, but now that there are no tourists, I'll definitely be visiting. Hopefully they keep everyone out for another year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.