FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   In defense of Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2009272-defense-marriott-bonvoy.html)

EuropeanPete Feb 19, 2020 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 32088640)
its not just with marriott....even with spg we had the option to chose what type of suite we wanted to attach the sna to....the difference now is that all properties with spg gave you the option to upgrade to a suite....a real suite....with marriot now there are tons of properties that don't give you the option to upgrade to a suite but only to a slightly better room....

i'll give you an example....i have a stay coming up next week where i've booked a king room....the upgrade options this property gives me is:

2 queen bedded room....
1 king bed high floor....
2 queen bedded high floor....
1 king bed executive room....
2 queen bed executive room....

there is no option to select a suite even though this property has junior suites, executive suites & other specialty suites....

the option is still up to us....but if the suite is not available in the upgrade pool then there is no way to attach the sna to it....

:

The new SNA programme: You can choose any SNA suite you like, but there are no suites to choose from.

EuropeanPete Feb 19, 2020 1:33 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 32088688)
So nothing lost from SPG point of view? Only can not extend to Marriott properties?

Maybe Marriott can't force suite upgrade to Marriott properties because in the old contracts, SNA does not exist?

Marriott changed the T&Cs so that "Suite Night Awards" no longer refer to Suites, but are instead rooms above base rooms. Increasingly I'm seeing ex-legacy SPG hotels remove all their suite availability now that it's not an expected part of the system. I'd say you see fewer and fewer suite nights in Sheratons, Westins etc (luckily I'm not so interested) as well as in St Regis properties, but the Luxury Collections seem to be holding up much better. I generally don't bother trying with luxury legacy Marriott hotels any more - I don't think that I've ever seen an actual suite available in an SNA pool.

I don't see myself getting to 75 nights with Marriott any more unless I'm somewhere with no other options, so I am likely to only have max 5 from now on which I'll simply use at the Gritti and the Imperial.

freed0m Feb 19, 2020 1:44 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 32088715)
Marriott changed the T&Cs so that "Suite Night Awards" no longer refer to Suites, but are instead rooms above base rooms. Increasingly I'm seeing ex-legacy SPG hotels remove all their suite availability now that it's not an expected part of the system. I'd say you see fewer and fewer suite nights in Sheratons, Westins etc (luckily I'm not so interested) as well as in St Regis properties, but the Luxury Collections seem to be holding up much better. I generally don't bother trying with luxury legacy Marriott hotels any more - I don't think that I've ever seen an actual suite available in an SNA pool.

I don't see myself getting to 75 nights with Marriott any more unless I'm somewhere with no other options, so I am likely to only have max 5 from now on which I'll simply use at the Gritti and the Imperial.

Marriott can change TnCs with Bonvoy members easily. marriott's contracts with properties can't change like that and those contracts run longer than membership contracts.

I believe one reason why availability was so good with legacy SPG properties right after program merger is that legacy SPG properties have to make all cash rooms available for redemption. It is in their contracts with SPG which Marriott inherits.

Keyser Feb 19, 2020 2:03 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 32088688)
So nothing lost from SPG point of view? Only can not extend to Marriott properties?

Maybe Marriott can't force suite upgrade to Marriott properties because in the old contracts, SNA does not exist?

not quite....there are some legacy spg properties that have removed or reduced suite inventory from the sna pool as well....

don't know what marriott can or cannot force it's properties to do but the fact remains that only having the ability to upgrade to a different bed type or to a higher floor or to an executive floor defeats the purpose of a suite night award....

yyzflyer Feb 19, 2020 9:24 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 32087720)
What @yyzflyer is saying is that the property still chooses what's in the SNA pool, so they can choose to not even put any real suites in the SNA pool which is becoming a frequent occurrence, along with many hotels simply pulling out of SNAs altogether.

In that case, your theoretical property might ONLY offer something like a corner room for SNAs, even though the room categories are like the following:
Standard room < View Room < Corner Room < Jr Suite < Jr Suite w/ Sofa Bed < 1 Bedroom Suite < 1 Bedroom view suite.

Just because there are many higher categories doesn't mean the property makes them available for SNAs. Some might only expose one type of suite, another might expose no suites at all.

That's exactly it. In my last 3 opportunities to use SNA's no suites have been offered. In one case (Westin) the only offering was a downgrade to a lesser room than I was already paying for.

Intl359Widget Feb 19, 2020 9:29 am

I recently called Marriott to settle some issues with an incorrect F&B amount posted on a recent trip and was pleasantly surprised to have good customer service that didn't require me to jump through hoops to get the correct amount of revenue posted.

stant Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 32088640)
its not just with marriott....even with spg we had the option to chose what type of suite we wanted to attach the sna to....the difference now is that all properties with spg gave you the option to upgrade to a suite....a real suite....with marriot now there are tons of properties that don't give you the option to upgrade to a suite but only to a slightly better room....

i'll give you an example....i have a stay coming up next week where i've booked a king room....the upgrade options this property gives me is:

2 queen bedded room....
1 king bed high floor....
2 queen bedded high floor....
1 king bed executive room....
2 queen bed executive room....

there is no option to select a suite even though this property has junior suites, executive suites & other specialty suites....

the option is still up to us....but if the suite is not available in the upgrade pool then there is no way to attach the sna to it....

I was ambassador level for a few years before the switch - I never knew you could limit the types of rooms a SNA was applied to. I guess my point was only that with this functionality it is in your power to keep the hotel from using those SNAs on a sub-par upgrade. No that doesnt mean they will give you the room you want, even in the SPG days I knew of some properties that would never upgrade to suites. Heck, sometimes you would get pushback at non resort non convention center hotels about a 4pm checkout. The rules may be rules, but ultimately it's up to the property to follow them of not. My ambassador wasnt going to fly up from austin and guard my door till 4pm to ensure late checkout.

Keyser Feb 19, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by stant (Post 32090025)
I was ambassador level for a few years before the switch - I never knew you could limit the types of rooms a SNA was applied to. I guess my point was only that with this functionality it is in your power to keep the hotel from using those SNAs on a sub-par upgrade. No that doesnt mean they will give you the room you want, even in the SPG days I knew of some properties that would never upgrade to suites. Heck, sometimes you would get pushback at non resort non convention center hotels about a 4pm checkout. The rules may be rules, but ultimately it's up to the property to follow them of not. My ambassador wasnt going to fly up from austin and guard my door till 4pm to ensure late checkout.

each property can decide what rooms & suites to put in the upgrade pool....in the spg days, all properties that participated in the sna program would put a few suites in the sna upgrade pool....these were genuine suites, not just enhanced rooms like higher floor or club rooms....

the power has always been with us to keep the hotel from upgrading to a room type we didn't want when using a sna....but when the properties stop including suites in the sna upgrade pool then we simply don't have an option to use a sna to get a suite....

everything was not perfect with spg, but it was much better than what it is now with marriott....

stant Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 32090193)
each property can decide what rooms & suites to put in the upgrade pool....in the spg days, all properties that participated in the sna program would put a few suites in the sna upgrade pool....these were genuine suites, not just enhanced rooms like higher floor or club rooms....

the power has always been with us to keep the hotel from upgrading to a room type we didn't want when using a sna....but when the properties stop including suites in the sna upgrade pool then we simply don't have an option to use a sna to get a suite....

everything was not perfect with spg, but it was much better than what it is now with marriott....

no there were properties in the spg days that didnt upgrade to suites. and my 130 or so nights a year self has yet to find any new properties that dont upgrade to suites now that it's bonvoy not spg...

just sayin...

nexusCFX Feb 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by stant (Post 32091240)
no there were properties in the spg days that didnt upgrade to suites. and my 130 or so nights a year self has yet to find any new properties that dont upgrade to suites now that it's bonvoy not spg...

just sayin...

The Westin Kyoto
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho
The Westin Dublin

just a sample of the properties that no longer participate in SNAs at all after the merger.

SPN Lifer Feb 19, 2020 6:50 pm

These most recent two-dozen posts hint at why I never take SNAs as my Platinum or Titanium Choice Gift.

You've been Bonvoyed!

Bonvoy Defenders unite! (!)

SPN Lifer Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Bonvoy Defenders go home!

SPN Lifer Feb 19, 2020 6:56 pm

Serving as an Assistant Public Defender for 4½ years was good practice, if I were to become a Bonvoy Defender.

SPN Lifer Feb 19, 2020 6:58 pm

For some, Bonvoy is home.

SPN Lifer Feb 19, 2020 7:05 pm

Perhaps some of us should form a pro bono Bonvoy Defenders office.

To defend management, the occasional guests, the frequent guests, the credit card guests, or the FT guests? I see the conflict of interests already.