receipt for free anniversary night

Old Feb 13, 20, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Question receipt for free anniversary night

Is there a way to get a receipt (preferably electronic receipt) when I use my free anniversary night? I would like something that has the actual cost printed on it or something that I could edit to show the actual cost.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by iowa guy View Post
Is there a way to get a receipt (preferably electronic receipt) when I use my free anniversary night? I would like something that has the actual cost printed on it or something that I could edit to show the actual cost.
No.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
You can get a folio when you check out. It won't have a cost on it though. It will just be proof if that night doesn't post that you actually stayed there.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:42 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Doesn't free night mean actual cost is zero? So you can get a receipt with actual cost on it.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just for clarification : which "actual cost" would you wish to edit into your receipt ? Rack Rate ? Cheapest Prepay ? Internal payment to the hotel for hosting your free night ? Would you want to edit in breakfast as well ?
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am intrigued. What's the purpose of your "edit"? It is a receipt for a free award stay. There is no "actual cost".
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:57 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Hmmmm.... Creative expense accounting? Might not be nefarious though asking for something editable is definitely suspicious. I frequently ask for a folio after award stays so I have documentation it was a $0 stay. E.g. in case there are any billing mistakes after the stay. OP do tell why do you want an editable receipt for an award stay?

--Jon
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anybody with a PDF editor can create a fraudulent receipt.

The consequences depend on what one does with it.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:14 am

LOL!

In other words for some reason I want to claim I spent money when I didn't. Unless it's just to impress your partner with your "big spending habits" it's quite possible that most uses of this would be considered fraud and have some severe consequences. (And if you claim it as a business expense for tax reasons it's really fun)
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Of course this is for something underhanded. I would create my own receipt from scratch but I need to know what the official receipt looks like.
margarita girl and hp12c like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:33 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If you get lucky they will accidentally give you a receipt for the amount that the property received from bonvOY. An RI gave me a receipt for a 25k point award stay which showed that the room was worth $22.00 breakfast included.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

If I can produce some type of receipt to my employer, I will get reimbursed for that amount. Telling them that the night was free gets me exactly zero dollars.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If I can produce some type of receipt to my employer, I will get reimbursed for that amount. Telling them that the night was free gets me exactly zero dollars.
There are a few now former NBA referees who are now out of prison from their tax evasion convictions, who may help you with that.

If your employer pays cash for what you got for free, that is income to you and your employer will have been caused to file a false return when it deducts what it paid you.

For $22?
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Save your free night for personal use, book a room for work at the cash price, charge that to your employer.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Don't you just like to stick it to the man every now and then?

I look at it as I pay the annual fee for the free night. This would be my reimbursement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: