Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott deducted an extra 180,000 points

Old Feb 13, 20, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Just got back from the St. Regis in Puerto Rico. Great stay-loved it. Here is the issue: We booked under 2 separate reservations back in May. We did 2 nights, then 5 nights so we could request using
our SNA's which the property was accepting back then. 120,000 points were deducted for the 2 nights, 240,000 for the 5. A few days prior to arriving we received the email that they could not honor the SNA's-we were expecting that. When we arrived, we did ask for an upgrade which was granted, we were told, because of my husbands loyalty. I noticed the day after we checked in, we had an additional 180,000 points deducted. Called CS and was told they would forward a request to customer care to rectify this. A few hours later we got an email from customer care that any change, including room type change, or even adding a person to a reservation constitutes a change and will then get booked at current rates. We had the St. Regis call CS on our behalf and the rep promised to have the points returned in 24 hours. Again, we received an email a few hours later from customer care denying our request-again stating that the reservation was changed. Oh, forgot-I also saw that they took 5 SNA's the day after we checked in-fine by us. So, I don't know what else to do-we didn't change anything except received a free upgrade. Any advice, or are we out the points? Thanks for any help.

Debbie
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There's a thread somewhere. If the hotel does anything to your reservation - upgrade, etc. - then the Marriott system reprices based on current pricing (presumably peak + a category change or similar). Exactly what you were told, except the agent didn't offer to fix the problem as they should.

It's a glitch that Marriott Bonvoy will fix if you are persistent enough. Just stop mentioning that you requested an upgrade, as that simply gives Marriott an excuse to be petty.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
You deserve your points back, and probably your SNAs too, although the latter might be difficult. Did you mention to Marriott that the reason the room was changed was that SNA's were applied? They should see 5 were removed from your account for that stay and realize it wasn't a change you made to the reservation. You said you didn't mind the SNA's being used anyway, which makes sense as you intended to use them all along.

I'm not saying you should HAVE to do all this, just that it might be the easiest way to resolve the issue and get your points back. Obviously Marriott's system isn't reading the sequence of events correctly or not tying events together.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
There's a thread somewhere. If the hotel does anything to your reservation - upgrade, etc. - then the Marriott system reprices based on current pricing (presumably peak + a category change or similar). Exactly what you were told, except the agent didn't offer to fix the problem as they should.

It's a glitch that Marriott Bonvoy will fix if you are persistent enough. Just stop mentioning that you requested an upgrade, as that simply gives Marriott an excuse to be petty.
This is likely to be the issue. The total of 540k could be made up of 2*100k (peak) + 4*85k (standard) and could be the reason, if something triggered a repricing of the points.

Btw, if you have the latest Android app you can see a detailed breakdown of when points were deducted and which amount. Maybe that helps within the analysis.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much, will keep trying.
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
This is absolutely ridiculous. We have (3) award stays mid March in Hawaii-after the point changes. We used as many SNA's as I had, but my wife is hoping for some complimentary upgrades for my 50th birthday-the reason for the trip. I am not interested in having to fight for point returns as a result. Marriott's fight to the bottom amazes me every week.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Feb 13, 20 at 9:10 am
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Would anyone have a name/email address of who I could escalate this to?
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (from CC), Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
I'd send a private message to one of the Lurkers: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...oy-lurker.html
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
I'd send a private message to one of the Lurkers: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...oy-lurker.html
Yes, the best bet is to contact the Lurkers on this forum. Dont waste time to call regular CS as most of them could only go by the book without any independent thought nor any power to fix issues caused by various issues caused by well-known, still exist and ongoing, BonVoy system glitches.
KRSW and ajamieson like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
This confirms my theory that the front desk staff at this property are actively evil, and do everything they can to give guests a miserable experience. (Everyone else at the property is great. Front desk people? Awful.)
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrytoast View Post
This confirms my theory that the front desk staff at this property are actively evil, and do everything they can to give guests a miserable experience. (Everyone else at the property is great. Front desk people? Awful.)
I doubt it - the hotel called BonVoy on the guest behalf about the wrong deduction caused by the system.

It is the front line CS reps at BonVoy that are incapable to see the issue nor having any power to fix it.

This is a well-documented issues with its own thread somewhere in this forum - started when the 3 prices became effective - many many cases reported the exact situation OP reported, from many many properties.

Marriott is WELL AWARE of the issue but Marriott does not want to spend resources to fix it. It is up to us the customers to sort this out but it will get sorted out once the Right Dept is informed and issue is forwarded to where there is authority to fix it.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:51 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I really hope this isn't a case of a "glitch" becoming policy, as sometimes happens when an IT fix is deemed too difficult.
margarita girl and Happy like this.

Last edited by eyeball1; Feb 14, 20 at 4:22 am
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SNAs shouldn't be deducted unless they clear in advance and the upgrade is confirmed. Getting an upgrade upon check in (or later) does not cost SNAs.

I had a similar thing happen several months ago when my SNAs didn't clear but the hotel was able to move me to a suite starting with my second night of a five night stay. At that point, points for my stay were deducted again. Fortunately my Ambassador was able to fix the mess quickly.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've had points deducted from my account for using the your24 benefit....the system thought i was staying an extra day because i was checking out at 11pm so they deducted 35k extra points from my account....my ambassador fixed the issue once i brought it to her knowledge....these 'glitches' are becoming a pain....
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
these 'glitches' are becoming a pain....
Yes... I'm very close to converting the bulk of my points to airline miles and walking away...

Between the cancellations that don't cancel and the award pricing that is never firm... it's madness to be taking multiple screenshots every time I click confirm on a booking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: