Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020

Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10

https://points-redemption.marriott.c...arriott-bonvoy

Annual hotel category changes will take effect March 4, 2020

Official notification :

Category Changes
This year’s category changes will take effect on March 4 giving our members a month’s advance notice to make informed decisions about redeeming their points for stays. Access the complete list of hotels for each redemption category and learn more here.
Across the Marriott Bonvoy portfolio of participating hotels:
· 71% will remain unchanged while 29% will be affected by the 2020 annual category change process with 7% of hotels decreasing in points needed for a free night and 22% are increasing.
· Most of the 2020 annual category change movement (84%) takes place between categories 1-5 for a standard redemption stay.
In the next month, take a look at your upcoming stays to see if you should lock in rates now (make sure to attach a certificate to your stay), or redeem after March 4 at some great hotels that are moving down in category, like JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach or W Aspen.

Inventory Controls
Every hotel participating in our travel program offers members standard rooms for award redemptions every day of the year. However, during the busiest times of the year, participating hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption, but only for a predetermined number of days annually.
Previously, only some hotel brands had access to inventory controls. This tool will be extended to all hotels beginning today. With this modification we’ve also added restrictions. The number of days hotels can use inventory controls is being reduced. This will result in fewer days in total subject to inventory controls portfolio-wide in 2020 compared to 2019. This change will have no impact on stays that are already booked.

Print Wikipost

2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020

Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I’ve literally never been in this situation, but I’m holding a reservation for a hotel (the Ile des Pins) that’s going down a category. Will the Lurkers be able to refund me the difference? As there’s no more availability for my dates, I can’t cancel and rebook.
CS can.
Pseudo Nim likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I see many nice properties moving down. Several JW's, the LM Ile des pins, a bunch of Luxury collections, the Pres Wilson is always very expensive, a bunch of nice W's, etc.
Asia Pacific seems to be the winner there! The Pres Wilson example is really the only decent one in Europe that I know of, that’s moving down
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosleto
Sheraton Grand Wuhan now up from cat 2 to cat 3 - just way too high for that property; gonna have to change my vacation plans now.
Better “lockdown” that category 2 rate before the increase!
sunil, lsquare and bosleto like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Very lovely place - I hear there’s plenty of room at the Sheraton Wuhan, any time of year, you can find it here! You can check out anytime ... you just can’t leave.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
There are only four category 5 hotels left in Manhattan
  • Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village
  • Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
  • Courtyard New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
  • New York Marriott Downtown
all the cat 4 properties in downtown are moving up to cat 5 as well....
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by christianj
I’m not usually good at predicting the future but I think I will go out on a limb here and say there will be a lot less Marriott Chase and Amex cards out there pretty soon. For me the bloodbath in NYC is a dealbreaker once the renewal comes up on my card.
i have 3 cards....i've paid the annual fee for 2 of them & am waiting for my free night certs to post....i'm going to cancel both cards the moment i get the certs....the last card i'll hold on to for a while....

every year i used the credit card free nights & the one i got for renewing titanium for a 4 night stay in nyc....won't be able to do that anymore....even though there are a handful of cat 5 properties left in nyc (mostly in downtown), peak awards will probably come in the way of redeeming them at a time when i would want to....
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: JGC premier
My free night award certificate (up to 50k points property) will be awarded to me on April 1st and a property I was eyeing, RC Biscayne is going up a category. Can I lock the current redemption rate using points right now and then get customer service etc to swap the points for the free night award certificate?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: UA GS1MM, Marriott LTE, SQ PPS, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shimps1
Again, the state of Iowa does not get a single category 1 hotel, and nearly all hotels in the Des Moines area except one run down Sheraton and an aging bad location Marriott are going up. 6 hotels in Omaha going up.
there might be an app for that. 😁
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Very lovely place - I hear there’s plenty of room at the Sheraton Wuhan, any time of year, you can find it here! You can check out anytime ... you just can’t leave.
LMAO!!!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
i have 3 cards....i've paid the annual fee for 2 of them & am waiting for my free night certs to post....i'm going to cancel both cards the moment i get the certs....the last card i'll hold on to for a while....

every year i used the credit card free nights & the one i got for renewing titanium for a 4 night stay in nyc....won't be able to do that anymore....even though there are a handful of cat 5 properties left in nyc (mostly in downtown), peak awards will probably come in the way of redeeming them at a time when i would want to....
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That is basically the conclusion I am coming to. The potential annual savings are not worth keeping the account around. My Chase Bonvoy “Boundless” card will not be renewed.
Originally Posted by Happy
Right.
Before this annual change we have already decided not to keep 2 AMEX in the household. Now may not be any come renewal time!
The Chase grandfathered business card is $30 cheaper than the AMEX version and its FN cert posts promptly at anniversary instead of 8 to 12 weeks on the AMEX cards, that some folks still dont see theirs after that period has passed.
Originally Posted by gengar
The inventory control could be a bigger deal than the category changes. As a 35k cert holder myself, I totally get the issue about how much harder it is to use - but I fear the inventory controls may well be what limits cert usage even more than the category changes.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The 35K night certificates are basically only useful for "utilitarian" stays nowadays. I have a few of those a year that range from $125 to $175. But should I keep a $95 card just for that certificate? Probably not. So the Amex Marriott Bonvoy will get cancelled shortly given I already have the Brilliant

The 50K cert with the Brilliant can be used for far more hotels, but it will be harder to maximize. Still I will keep the card for now for the 15 nights. At some point I will apply for the Chase card and cancel the Brilliant.

Some of the changes reduce the appeal of off peak redemption - the luxury properties in Barcelona are pricing around $365 a night right now, and cost 50,000 in the current categories (off peak). Those same properties go to 70,000 points off peak, taking the offseason value per point down to 0.05.
I agree with you guys here. This is really pissing me off. I guess I'm only going to keep one Marriott card for the 15 nights and then cancel the rest. If I don't get any good value out of the 35k certificates, then I'm not sure what's the point to keeping the accounts opened.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there are a lot of Marriott experts in this thread. I've already done a bit of reading and it seems like the changes are going to be pretty negative overall for me. With the devaluation, would you guys agree with the notion that Marriott points are now useless? I got about 500k worth of points that I want to use. I'm just not sure where to use it and get good value.

New York seems to be negatively affected. What about Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and Taipei? Any good redemption left?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by lsquare
I know there are a lot of Marriott experts in this thread. I've already done a bit of reading and it seems like the changes are going to be pretty negative overall for me. With the devaluation, would you guys agree with the notion that Marriott points are now useless? I got about 500k worth of points that I want to use. I'm just not sure where to use it and get good value.

New York seems to be negatively affected. What about Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and Taipei? Any good redemption left?
I think "useless" is a bit harsh (hey wait... yes they are! I will take them off you! ), but seriously - take a look at this spreadsheet that TPG put together: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxsr2992p2...0%29.xlsx?dl=0

I am in a weird position where the major redemption I am doing this year (Ile des Pins and Noumea) are both going down, so for literally ONCE in my life, I am liking this (and I've done all the major European properties last summer, so I can just chuckle away them going up in price).

That said, overall, it's a devaluation, so yes, the points are worth less. But browse the spreadsheet and see if you can find any properties that you might be able to lock in (and do remember that points advance no longer locks anything except availability...)
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:28 am

A question re. making some tentative stays before the category changes! Can I make a simple points reservation for 7 nights, and if deciding to take it up apply a travel package to it for the category at time of booking, for a points refund? I try and avoid attaching a TP to a tentative stay as I have had problems in the past when cancelling (unattaching) them.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lsquare

There are a lot of "good redemptions" left - many are just more expensive.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
There are a lot of "good redemptions" left - many are just more expensive.
What do you have in mind?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.