Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do Jan stays add to previous year for status?

Do Jan stays add to previous year for status?

Old Jan 28, 20, 8:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 90
Do Jan stays add to previous year for status?

Iím confused about posts which state that Bonvoy will include stays through January 2020 to count for 2019 status. I earned Titanium status in 2018. However, I ended 2019 with 66 nights, 9 short of Titanium. Since Jan 1 of this year I have added 26 nights (including 15 from credit card). Am I entitled to Titanium since I added the additional nights before Jan 31? I believe the rules do not show that I am eligible, but I have read about posters who have received the status by including January stays.
PSPandBA is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dayton, OH/CVG
Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 458
I think you are out of luck unfortunately. Everything re-sets on January 1st. Those nights will count towards 2020 status and have no impact on 2019. Your 2019 status will expire at the end of January this year(like in 3 days). Maybe that is where the confusion is.
Ryno1234 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:33 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 26,197
Originally Posted by PSPandBA View Post
I’m confused about posts which state that Bonvoy will include stays through January 2020 to count for 2019 status. I earned Titanium status in 2018. However, I ended 2019 with 66 nights, 9 short of Titanium. Since Jan 1 of this year I have added 26 nights (including 15 from credit card). Am I entitled to Titanium since I added the additional nights before Jan 31? I believe the rules do not show that I am eligible, but I have read about posters who have received the status by including January stays.
Can you provide a link to these posts? I haven't seen any, it's never worked that way, and I'm unaware of changes. Stays that started in December and ended in January accrued 2019 nights until the 12/31-1/1 overnight, and 2020 nights for the 1/1-1/2 night and onward. That's all I can think of that involved January and 2019 nights.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 28, 20 at 8:46 pm
CPRich is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,118
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Can you provide a link to these posts? I haven't seen any, it's never worked that way, and I'm unaware of changes. Stays that started in December and ended in January accrued 2019 nights until the 12/31-1/1 overnight, and 2020 nights for the 1/1-1/2 night and onward.
+1 This is not how itís ever worked. You may get a courtesy extension of status but that has nothing to do with January stays.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 12:55 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Italy
Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Posts: 1,152
I had a stay across Dec and Jan (2 nights on Dec and 3 nights on Jan) and Iíve been posted 2 nights on 2019 and 3 nights on 2020
Dav77 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 3:01 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,644
Originally Posted by Ryno1234 View Post
I think you are out of luck unfortunately. Everything re-sets on January 1st. Those nights will count towards 2020 status and have no impact on 2019. Your 2019 status will expire at the end of January this year(like in 3 days). Maybe that is where the confusion is.
Let me correct that for you!

I think you are out of luck unfortunately. Everything re-sets on January 1st. Those nights will count towards 2021 status and have no impact on 2019. Your 2019 status will expire at the end of January this next year (like in 369 days). Maybe that is where the confusion is.

The status you earned in 2019 will carry through until the end of January 2021. Whatever Status you earn in 2020, if any, will carry through until the end of January 2022.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:15 am
  #7  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,317
Possibly the OP was reading the Selecting Annual Choice Benefit thread where it mentions someone picking their Annual Choice in January for reaching the 50/75 night Choice benefits. If someone chooses the 5 elite nights choice, those nights would be added to last year's night total (2019) not this years (2020)?
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Let me correct that for you!

I think you are out of luck unfortunately. Everything re-sets on January 1st. Those nights will count towards 2021 status and have no impact on 2019. Your 2019 status will expire at the end of January this next year (like in 369 days). Maybe that is where the confusion is.

The status you earned in 2019 will carry through until the end of January 2021. Whatever Status you earn in 2020, if any, will carry through until the end of January 2022.

James
The OP tallied 66 nights in 2019 and was asking if January stays would result in renewing Titanium. So when Ryno referred to 2019 status, he clearly meant status earned during 2018 and his statement that the OP's titanium status will expire in a few days is correct. I fear your "correction" may give OP the incorrect impression that status earned during 2018 will continue for another year.
Voodoo Daddy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: