Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

E-certificate NOT Attached AT ALL for 40K Cert Redemption

E-certificate NOT Attached AT ALL for 40K Cert Redemption

Old Jan 28, 20, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
E-certificate: Solved Thanks

EDIT: apparently this is known IT issue and despite not showing up on the website, on the backend the e-cert is properly attached.. I will email the hotel to confirm.

At least on three separate occasions various Marriott CSR confirmed that 40K free night certificate was used properly to secure a cat 5 hotel for one night and when I checked online, NO thatís not true, as the booking still shows as ďGood you have earned all the points! Deduct now... ď and NO E-CERTIFICATE IS ATTACHED TO THE RESERVATION.

So when is the IT snafu going to be fixed? And if itís not fixed in time, will I be requested by the hotel to pay the cash rate ($500 a night) when the e-cert is not attached 1 or 2 weeks prior to the stay?

Why canít Marriott do this right? Eg take away the bloody 40k certificate and just give me 40K points to use for the night?

Seriously, .... No incentive at all for me to make Titanium again ever.

Last edited by theOtherHolmes; Jan 29, 20 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Check the website if you are looking a tthe app. I had that issue for several reservations (looking on the app), when I looked on marriott.com, it was showing correctly.
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Check the website if you are looking a tthe app. I had that issue for several reservations (looking on the app), when I looked on marriott.com, it was showing correctly.
Yeah I checked the website; not app. The mobile app wouldnít even show e-cert even if itís properly attached.
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:16 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I had an issue with the titanium 40k cert. It was somehow bugged. I called, and they fixed it right away. What they did is made a reservation using points for the day/hotel I wanted and deducted 40k points from me. About an hour later, the 40k points came back and the cert disappeared.

Perhaps you didn't talk to someone who knows what they are doing? I've been there before with Marriott...

(On an aside, if you are only making titanium for the 40k cert, I'd suggest stop at 50 nights and get the Marriott credit cards that give free certs on anniversary days. Think mine gives 35k certs. Worth the annual fee imo.)
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Handcake View Post
I had an issue with the titanium 40k cert. It was somehow bugged. I called, and they fixed it right away. What they did is made a reservation using points for the day/hotel I wanted and deducted 40k points from me. About an hour later, the 40k points came back and the cert disappeared.

Perhaps you didn't talk to someone who knows what they are doing? I've been there before with Marriott...

(On an aside, if you are only making titanium for the 40k cert, I'd suggest stop at 50 nights and get the Marriott credit cards that give free certs on anniversary days. Think mine gives 35k certs. Worth the annual fee imo.)

Thanks! Does your reservation shows it has e-certificate online?
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Thanks! Does your reservation shows it has e-certificate online?
On the app it says eCertificate required prior to check in (says this for all my award bookings)

I actually emailed the hotel and they said that the certificate is sent directly to them.
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:11 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium
I have an even worse situation. I called to book a 40k night using the reward certificate. Instead of booking the night for me the person added 40K points to my account and booked the hotel through points. While this seemed okay during the stay, afterwards my account was locked for audit because they 'didn't find any trace of my point purchase'. Of course there was no point purchase because it was meant to be a reward certificate.

On top of that, the people I'm talking to are completely incapable of doing anything and keep telling me I have to wait 10 business days before I hear back. This is the most frustrating thing I have experience with Marriott considering I have a few stays coming up as well in a few days.
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64 View Post
I have an even worse situation. I called to book a 40k night using the reward certificate. Instead of booking the night for me the person added 40K points to my account and booked the hotel through points. While this seemed okay during the stay, afterwards my account was locked for audit because they 'didn't find any trace of my point purchase'. Of course there was no point purchase because it was meant to be a reward certificate.

On top of that, the people I'm talking to are completely incapable of doing anything and keep telling me I have to wait 10 business days before I hear back. This is the most frustrating thing I have experience with Marriott considering I have a few stays coming up as well in a few days.
You should be able to still check in and out of hotels without access to your account. Just deal with it later.

Though it reinforces my thinking that I wonít ever try for titanium again. I will just hit P and switch to Hilton or Hyatt. Marriottís IT is done by monkeys...
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:20 am

Yes, checking in is fine, but I had some hedged bookings at the flexible rate which i wanted to swap out for the prepaid rates
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:21 am

You should be able to still check in and out of hotels without access to your account. Just deal with it later.

Though it reinforces my thinking that I wonít ever try for titanium again. I will just hit P and switch to Hilton or Hyatt. Marriottís IT is done by monkeys...
and yes, I am fed up with Marriotts IT. I never had any of these problems with SPG previously
Old Jan 29, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat100, DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum (former CK)
Same issue here. And wait till you cancel the staysó the points never go back to you. Iím fighting that now.
Old Jan 29, 20, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Same issue here. And wait till you cancel the staysó the points never go back to you. Iím fighting that now.
I didnít use points; itís a 40K certificate from 75N gift.
Old Jan 29, 20, 12:33 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
I didnít use points; itís a 40K certificate from 75N gift.
same problem here.... already got in touch with Marriott Lurker here ... the problem hasnít been solved, even if the 40k certificate is correctly shown on my account ....I canít use it during booking process

Iíve been suggested to contact by phone the CC to make the reservation with them ...
Old Jan 29, 20, 12:34 pm

I have been having same issues as well.
Made the mistake of booking a 2 night reservation with one on points (40K) and one with the 75N certificate.
First agent attached the certificate but it still showed taking 80K points (although as a points advance, so it did not actually deduct anything).
I called in 3 times to fix, every time the agent claimed it was fixed. Finally called in a 4th time and the reservation looks different, but the agent said wait 48 hours for it to show correctly.
I feel sorry for the agents since they did nothing wrong, and it looks like a systematic issue.
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:23 pm

Programs: HH DIA, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA Gold, UA Silver
Same issue with the Titanium 75 night/40k cert. I’ve avoided using it - I don’t want it to get lost and have to deal with that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: