Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

E-certificate NOT Attached AT ALL for 40K Cert Redemption

Old Feb 24, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by pentiumvi View Post
So.... is this issue fixed?

I still have a 40K reservation that supposedly has the certificate attached (according to Marriott CSR) that's showing as a points advance reservation on the website...

Do I need to cancel and rebook? Contact hotel to confirm the certificate was properly sent to them?

Really shouldn't be this difficult using the certificate that I earned...
No, the issue is not fixed. I just broke down and called to book my 75n cert and sure enough, 35k points were deducted from my account. More and more, I dread doing business with this company as I pretty much know something will go sideways and it will be on me to figure out how to fix it. I donít think Iíll have to worry about a 75n cert next year.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy View Post
No, the issue is not fixed. I just broke down and called to book my 75n cert and sure enough, 35k points were deducted from my account. More and more, I dread doing business with this company as I pretty much know something will go sideways and it will be on me to figure out how to fix it. I donít think Iíll have to worry about a 75n cert next year.
I even begged them to take away the cert and just give me 35K in points. Lol nope didnít fly.
Old Feb 24, 20, 6:47 pm

How do these certificate/award nights work? Do the properties get "sent" the e-cert when a booking is made?

Does that mean in order to confirm and verify that my 75N cert booking is in fact valid I need to email the property directly to ask? Bear in mind, this is after receiving multiple confirmations from Marriott CSR that the 75N cert is attached from their point of view.
Old Feb 27, 20, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Using Points and a Certificate for a 2 night stay

Wondering why it is so difficult to get a certificate attached correctly to a reservation. I wanted to make a 2-night reservation, using my 75 night Titanium 40,000 point certificate for one night and 35,000 points from my account for the second night. I could not get the certificate to attach to a reservation online, so I called to make the reservation. After making the reservation the certificate was gone from my account but the reservation still showed I needed to deduct 70,000 points from my account. I have called an additional 2 times and after the last time I was told the certificate was attached and 35,000 points were taken out of my account but now I see the certificate back in my account, no points are taken out, and the reservation still showing I need to deduct 70,000 points. This is one of the hotels going up a category on March 4 so I do not want to wait.

Is it easier to just cancel and start the reservation over and book as two 1 night stays, one using the certificate and the other points?
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:52 pm

Sounds like this

Old Feb 27, 20, 2:44 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by holocker View Post
Wondering why it is so difficult to get a certificate attached correctly to a reservation. I wanted to make a 2-night reservation, using my 75 night Titanium 40,000 point certificate for one night and 35,000 points from my account for the second night. I could not get the certificate to attach to a reservation online, so I called to make the reservation. After making the reservation the certificate was gone from my account but the reservation still showed I needed to deduct 70,000 points from my account. I have called an additional 2 times and after the last time I was told the certificate was attached and 35,000 points were taken out of my account but now I see the certificate back in my account, no points are taken out, and the reservation still showing I need to deduct 70,000 points. This is one of the hotels going up a category on March 4 so I do not want to wait.

Is it easier to just cancel and start the reservation over and book as two 1 night stays, one using the certificate and the other points?

Hi holocker,

If you still need assistance, we'd be glad to look at this for you. Please email us at [email protected] or Private Message here with your reservation confirmation number, contact information, and full name.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Old Feb 27, 20, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
So I went through the exactly same thing and hereís my sound suggestion:

1. Book two, one-night reservations first using points: one 35K points reservation and one 40K reservation. That will be 70,000 points gone from your account.

2. Call Marriott CS to swap the 40K reservation using your 75-night 40K certificate: i.e., refund you 40,000 points, and attach the 40K certificate on the backend to the reservation.

3. Check online to see if: 1) your 40K points came back; 2) 75-night 40K certificate is gone; and 3) the reservation is good (has e-certificate attached).

4. Call or email the 40K reservation hotel to confirm that a proper e-certificate is attached properly.

This eventually worked... and then the corona virus happened and I had to cancel everything. (Was for Japan in April).
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 6:51 am

Booked 2 nights for 40k/night.
contacted CS to attach 2x 40k certs and refund points
points refunded and 2x certs redeemed

thanks all
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
FYI seems to be a larger issue all of a sudden? .... (Although I was able to attach one over the weekend.)

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/01/03/...e/?omhide=true
Old Jan 4, 21, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Southwest, UA Silver
This is still an ongoing issue. Can't book it online with the 40k certificates. I had to call in. First useless agent I got (overseas/outsourced?) was clueless and blamed Cat 5 limit. (Which is completely wrong, the certificate terms do NOT say Cat 1-5, ONLY says 40k points). The second agent based in the U.S. was great, she had to make some additional calls, pull it with points then swap for the certificate, and got the job done with professionalism.. I left a survey to hopefully get her recognized for being an asset to Marriott's service dept.

The steps above are correct as well for how to resolve this. Maybe they will get this fixed after fixing the 2021 lifetime year update.
SPN Lifer and martyYOW like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: