FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   E-certificate NOT Attached AT ALL for 40K Cert Redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2006590-e-certificate-not-attached-all-40k-cert-redemption.html)

theOtherHolmes Feb 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy (Post 32107654)
No, the issue is not fixed. I just broke down and called to book my 75n cert and sure enough, 35k points were deducted from my account. More and more, I dread doing business with this company as I pretty much know something will go sideways and it will be on me to figure out how to fix it. I don’t think I’ll have to worry about a 75n cert next year.

I even begged them to take away the cert and just give me 35K in points. Lol nope didn’t fly.

pentiumvi Feb 24, 2020 5:47 pm

How do these certificate/award nights work? Do the properties get "sent" the e-cert when a booking is made?

Does that mean in order to confirm and verify that my 75N cert booking is in fact valid I need to email the property directly to ask? Bear in mind, this is after receiving multiple confirmations from Marriott CSR that the 75N cert is attached from their point of view.

holocker Feb 27, 2020 11:48 am

Using Points and a Certificate for a 2 night stay

Wondering why it is so difficult to get a certificate attached correctly to a reservation. I wanted to make a 2-night reservation, using my 75 night Titanium 40,000 point certificate for one night and 35,000 points from my account for the second night. I could not get the certificate to attach to a reservation online, so I called to make the reservation. After making the reservation the certificate was gone from my account but the reservation still showed I needed to deduct 70,000 points from my account. I have called an additional 2 times and after the last time I was told the certificate was attached and 35,000 points were taken out of my account but now I see the certificate back in my account, no points are taken out, and the reservation still showing I need to deduct 70,000 points. This is one of the hotels going up a category on March 4 so I do not want to wait.

Is it easier to just cancel and start the reservation over and book as two 1 night stays, one using the certificate and the other points?

pentiumvi Feb 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Sounds like this

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...edemption.html

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Feb 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 32119622)
Wondering why it is so difficult to get a certificate attached correctly to a reservation. I wanted to make a 2-night reservation, using my 75 night Titanium 40,000 point certificate for one night and 35,000 points from my account for the second night. I could not get the certificate to attach to a reservation online, so I called to make the reservation. After making the reservation the certificate was gone from my account but the reservation still showed I needed to deduct 70,000 points from my account. I have called an additional 2 times and after the last time I was told the certificate was attached and 35,000 points were taken out of my account but now I see the certificate back in my account, no points are taken out, and the reservation still showing I need to deduct 70,000 points. This is one of the hotels going up a category on March 4 so I do not want to wait.

Is it easier to just cancel and start the reservation over and book as two 1 night stays, one using the certificate and the other points?

Hi holocker,

If you still need assistance, we'd be glad to look at this for you. Please email us at [email protected] or Private Message here with your reservation confirmation number, contact information, and full name.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison

theOtherHolmes Feb 27, 2020 1:45 pm

So I went through the exactly same thing and here’s my sound suggestion:

1. Book two, one-night reservations first using points: one 35K points reservation and one 40K reservation. That will be 70,000 points gone from your account.

2. Call Marriott CS to swap the 40K reservation using your 75-night 40K certificate: i.e., refund you 40,000 points, and attach the 40K certificate on the backend to the reservation.

3. Check online to see if: 1) your 40K points came back; 2) 75-night 40K certificate is gone; and 3) the reservation is good (has e-certificate attached).

4. Call or email the 40K reservation hotel to confirm that a proper e-certificate is attached properly.

This eventually worked... and then the corona virus happened and I had to cancel everything. (Was for Japan in April).

BaconSF Jan 4, 2021 5:51 am

Booked 2 nights for 40k/night.
contacted CS to attach 2x 40k certs and refund points
points refunded and 2x certs redeemed

thanks all

Mr. Vker Jan 4, 2021 8:01 am

FYI seems to be a larger issue all of a sudden? .... (Although I was able to attach one over the weekend.)

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/01/03/...e/?omhide=true

fotoflyer88 Jan 4, 2021 11:41 am

This is still an ongoing issue. Can't book it online with the 40k certificates. I had to call in. First useless agent I got (overseas/outsourced?) was clueless and blamed Cat 5 limit. (Which is completely wrong, the certificate terms do NOT say Cat 1-5, ONLY says 40k points). The second agent based in the U.S. was great, she had to make some additional calls, pull it with points then swap for the certificate, and got the job done with professionalism.. I left a survey to hopefully get her recognized for being an asset to Marriott's service dept.

The steps above are correct as well for how to resolve this. Maybe they will get this fixed after fixing the 2021 lifetime year update.

hotelfanatic Feb 10, 2022 7:14 pm

Can't book using cert and is 2022

This seem to be a permanent issue. I can't book using online and the agent i am on phone with can't either... i can tell he is new

Marriott IT Wrecked Once Again: Bonvoy Free Night Certificates Can’t Be Used Online Anymore - LoyaltyLobby

Can't believe this is happening with Marriott in 2022.

update: second agent was able to (1st agent put me back on phone queue)

ski Feb 11, 2022 10:31 pm

Same issue. Selected link to use certificate. Only option at end was 40,000 points. Called, reservation agent painfully slow and then unable to attach cert. Transferred to Bonvoy,customer service agent who was unable to apply certificate. End, I booked with points, and agent had a supervisor attach ecert and refund points. Took forever.