Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Q1 - 2020 bonus Promotions Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)

Any info on when the next bonus points promotion for the year 2020 will be ?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Five weeks in NYC coming so fingers crossed for a spend-based promo.
KRSW and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
I'm guessing mid feb announcement with start 28 february or so.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Your thread title is misleading. I thought they must have just announced the promotion. A better thread title would be "Q1 year 2020 bonus points promotion prediction thread". That said, applying Murphy's Law for Promotions, it will be released at the most inconvenient time with a set of requirements that doesn't match up with my travel. Not to say I won't be traveling this Winter, just that it won't sync. up with the promotion(s). Perhaps a tad too pessimistic. I am not expecting much. I don't think Marriott is feeling the need to provide true incentives yet (e.g. they are still filling rooms even without significant promotions).

--Jon
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by itisme
I'm guessing mid feb announcement with start 28 february or so.

Hope that isn't true...that's a long wait.

Moderators, feel free to change thread title with word "speculation" and/or "prediction" in it.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Hope that isn't true...that's a long wait.

Moderators, feel free to change thread title with word "speculation" and/or "prediction" in it.
There were six weeks between the previous two Marriott promotions, so late February would not be a shocking start date range. They are very clearly trending away from promotions, and as a result I am trending away from Marriott.
MaxFlyer, Zoltar, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Marriott goes out of the way to exclude Chinese national holidays when doing promos.

Translation: next general promo won’t happen until at least mid-February.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:19 pm

Given the current situation in China and Hong Kong, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an overabundance of promos for that region.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
Given the current situation in China and Hong Kong, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an overabundance of promos for that region.
In theory but they may adopt the attitude with the current situation no amount of promos would tempt people to stay and change peoples habits and as sucg would be a waste. People who have to stay will and thats all.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Doubt that will happen at least until theres an All Clear
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
In theory but they may adopt the attitude with the current situation no amount of promos would tempt people to stay and change peoples habits and as sucg would be a waste. People who have to stay will and thats all.
I'm sure if there were to be a promotion, they would have it apply only for new check-ins. Anybody just extending their stay would not be eligible
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:13 pm

300 of Marriott’s 6900 properties are in China. I’m befuddled as to why everyone seems to think the next promotion is so dependent upon what’s happening there.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
300 of Marriott’s 6900 properties are in China. I’m befuddled as to why everyone seems to think the next promotion is so dependent upon what’s happening there.
Chinese tourists don't just travel in China, but also out of China. They're probably #1 or #2 importance for most countries in APAC for tourist arrivals.

Mamy North American and European countries also depend heavily on Chinese tourism.

Promos will be a way of boosting bookings from non-Chinese travelers.
KRSW and paolo64 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by boonkoh
Chinese tourists don't just travel in China, but also out of China. They're probably #1 or #2 importance for most countries in APAC for tourist arrivals.

Mamy North American and European countries also depend heavily on Chinese tourism.

Promos will be a way of boosting bookings from non-Chinese travelers.
Indeed. Reliance on Chinese guests is very high in many countries in the region. The hospitality industry is going to be hit very hard , just as it was by SARS. There is a big difference this time: the rate of outbound Chinese tourists is now 7 times the level it was in 2003, making the level of financial exposure far greater. So I would anticipate some heavy discounts, regardless of whether they’re part of a promo.
It goes without saying we’d all prefer early resolution of the health crisis to a discount.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by cre95
I'm sure if there were to be a promotion, they would have it apply only for new check-ins. Anybody just extending their stay would not be eligible
Not quite how I meant it, simply if someone needs to book a hotel in that region with the situation they will do regardless of a promo whereas even with a promo it wont make people choose to go and make a booking there due to the situation. Hence extra promo's for that area probably wouldnt increase business currently thus no point in actually running them as it would not generate any extra business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.