Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Q1 - 2020 bonus Promotions Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q1 - 2020 bonus Promotions Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm looking forward to whatever Bonvoy throws out there since we've got a long Canadian trip where they have a much larger footprint than anyone else in April/May. I just hope it's not "US only". But if it is, I'm keeping my Bonvoy reservations because they were the best locations/best prices for us, bonus promo or not.
That is exactly why Marriott believes generic quarterly promotions are not necessary to drum up business as in many cases they don’t change behaviour. They are relying on the choice of properties and price.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
[QUOTE=vandalby;32061049]With this year I had already started the somewhat gut-wrenching process of switching from Marriott (legacy SPG here) to Hyatt. The double-points Hyatt promo, with Marriott so far offering nothing in return, is making this decision more simple than I thought.
I miss the old treatment as an SPG Platinum, was hoping that some of that DNA may permeate the Marriott system, but the longer we go, the more it looks like those days really are dead...[/QUOn AsiaTE]

- Same here. SPG was great through the end and even a bit longer after the merger. Of course, there are some great Bonvoy properties in Asia but in US I am finding lesser value in my Titanium status. This year I did 9 paid stays with Hilton so far and only 1 night with Bonvoy - all because the current HHonors promotion and the lack of any bonuses from Marriott. Also, the rapid inflation on the redemption side made me less motivated to stay with Bonvoy. I have finally signed up for Hyatt and will be happy to jump in if there is a fast track for AA EXP.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:51 pm

I hope Marriott Announces something this week or next week. Right now I am in a pickle on what do do through May. The Hyatt and IHG promo's are to good for me to pass up on point accumulation. At the same time too...I have to make stays through May to make sure I reach 20,000 spend
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Endless...

FWIW, decided to pop back over to my account via the web - still nothing...but the info about how well/poorly I did in the last promo cycle were finally gone...but the drop in "Chat with associate WRT promotions fell into my screen...

So, let's chat...waiting a few minutes...

And, I get an associate and ask the question...with unfortunately expected answer...

ah well. tried.

David

p.s. where is that locale shown on the Promotions page? Rome? also, stop bugging me about "upgrading" to the current MBoy Visa card if you're not gonna give me the bonus...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I saw on some Fb group that the rumoured date for next promo is March 14.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott15
I hope Marriott Announces something this week or next week. Right now I am in a pickle on what do do through May. The Hyatt and IHG promo's are to good for me to pass up on point accumulation. At the same time too...I have to make stays through May to make sure I reach 20,000 spend
The IHG promo looks pretty good, but I’m sticking with hyatt
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I saw on some Fb group that the rumoured date for next promo is March 14.
This kind of post needs to be in the Q2 - 2020 Bonus Promotions Double Speculation Thread since this thread is only for Q1.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
AFAIK, Marriott has never had quarterly promos
We know.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's why these thread titles are serious misnomers
But not if you read it as "Starting in Q1", rather "occurring entirely in Q1".

If anyone can come up a better, clearer, universally-understood way of anchoring and indexing a sequence of global promotions to the calendar, then please just let the mods know.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
We know.

But not if you read it as "Starting in Q1", rather "occurring entirely in Q1".

If anyone can come up a better, clearer, universally-understood way of anchoring and indexing a sequence of global promotions to the calendar, then please just let the mods know.
At the rate Marriott is delaying these, we may just be able to use a year soon.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:37 am

Funny stuff!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:42 pm

Does anyone have any inside info on hotel occupancy rates? A lot of the hotels I stay (mostly around Florida) at seem to be more full than in the past two years. I'm wondering if Marriott's seeing the high occupancy rates and doesn't feel the need to entice people to stay with them.

Separately, does anyone know how these promos are funded? I'm assuming they come out of corporate's budget, but do the hotels have to pony up anything towards them?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KRSW
Does anyone have any inside info on hotel occupancy rates? A lot of the hotels I stay (mostly around Florida) at seem to be more full than in the past two years. I'm wondering if Marriott's seeing the high occupancy rates and doesn't feel the need to entice people to stay with them.

Separately, does anyone know how these promos are funded? I'm assuming they come out of corporate's budget, but do the hotels have to pony up anything towards them?
Marriott is a publicly-traded company. You can easily look up their overall occupancy rates. Of course, the data for each hotel is confidential...

I believe that corporate pay for promos. A few years back, you used to see lists of hotels opting out of promotions (presumably because they didn't want to pay). But having opt outs to chain-wide promos was a really bad way to do business. And I don't see how corporate can simply force the hotels to pay for whatever promo is dreamt up by corporate.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I was deadly waiting for the Marriott but did not see anything so far... What I am doing now is to stay at Radisson to rack up 15 stays, 2 best western stays and all Sunday night Hyatt stays while waiting for Marriott... Not entirely optimistic though...
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Tommys888
I was deadly waiting for the Marriott but did not see anything so far... What I am doing now is to stay at Radisson to rack up 15 stays, 2 best western stays and all Sunday night Hyatt stays while waiting for Marriott... Not entirely optimistic though...
...that Marriott's Bonvoys will come up with a sufficiently complex, multi-step, multi-stay, multi-convoluted, less than effective promotion?

Yup.

David
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Tommys888
why spread your stats across 4 brands? Do you have top tier status for any?

hyatts promo is pretty good, double points and 1.5k bonus for weekend stays for those with hyatt cc.

marriott with the endless devaluation has been a nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.